Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Perhaps we can rephrase in a way that isn't quite so uncouth? Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not panicked. I'm a little annoyed we're running with this combo, but it's too late to worry about now.

a hole? :sarcasm:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So after those sharp angle goals, Merzlikins has apparently realized that the game is different here.

All a part of the process, I get it. I just wish he started this learning process earlier. We signed the guy six months ago, he refused to play for Cleveland, and now he's taking lessons in a prospect game a few weeks before the season starts.
Maybe I'm a minority on this but I think it was more beneficial for him to spend the time here working with Legace instead of jumping into the fire with Cleveland. If he'd looked bad in a faster game instead of getting some one on one instruction everyone just would have b*tched more this summer.

I'm not questioning the process up to this point. I don't believe playing 2-3 games in Cleveland would have changed this stance at this time of the season.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe I'm a minority on this but I think it was more beneficial for him to spend the time here working with Legace instead of jumping into the fire with Cleveland. If he'd looked bad in a faster game instead of getting some one on one instruction everyone just would have b*tched more this summer.

I'm not questioning the process up to this point. I don't believe playing 2-3 games in Cleveland would have changed this stance at this time of the season.

People b*tching is fine. It happens. Let Merzlikins get a little egg on his face and learn from it.

It's obvious from Merzlikins' play and the Athletic story that the sessions with Legace were not able to fully replicate game conditions. Merzlikins was taken aback by the pace of the game and where the attack was coming from. It takes an interplay of practice time and real game experience to learn stuff like this, and for Merzlikins that process is starting now, a few weeks before game 1.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
People b*tching is fine. It happens. Let Merzlikins get a little egg on his face and learn from it.

It's obvious from Merzlikins' play and the Athletic story that the sessions with Legace were not able to fully replicate game conditions. Merzlikins was taken aback by the pace of the game and where the attack was coming from. It takes an interplay of practice time and real game experience to learn stuff like this, and for Merzlikins that process is starting now, a few weeks before game 1.

It's going to be baptism by fire for Merzlikins. I'm of the thinking that the CBJ will ride with Korpi for the majority of early games and gives Merzlikins spot play so he can use practices and limited game appearances to get up to speed on the North American game.

Normally I'm pretty indifferent to pre season performances, but I'm going to weight them a lot more heavily in the case of Merzlikins since it's the only measure of his ability that I'll be able to quantify.

I have zero idea of how this guy will perform. I'd find it more likely that he'll stink up the joint at the beginning than be a shining star but I could be dead wrong on this. Since he had the label of "best goalie not in the NHL" prior to this season then I think that he'll be OK in the long run. But the short run could be very choppy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If anything , this is a great thing . Elvis is a cocky dude , but knows now this is a lot different than he thought. If it’s a struggle early , maybe he’s now more open to Cleveland for a bit , to get up to speed . As for the jackets , I have absolutely no worries . Personally I think Korpi is going to be pretty darn good , especially with our defensive core, and the commitment to be more defensively sound . There are all sorts of journeyman goalies that can be picked up for pennies on the dollar, or via waivers , look at Carolina last year , that can easily be had to make a 1/2 tandem with Korpi , if Elvis needs some time .

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I fully expect this conversation to take place soon, from Elvis himself:
"We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man."

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I fully expect this conversation to take place soon, from Elvis himself:
"We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man."
That never gets old :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pet peeve, I don't appreciate people linking to pay walls.

Have you tried a trial membership with the Athletic? They've vacuumed up just about all of the high level hockey content - reporting, analytics, prospects, you name it. And many of us (most of us?) here read it, so you'll continue to see everyone linking to it.

Reactions: CPTN71 and Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Have you tried a trial membership with the Athletic? They've vacuumed up just about all of the high level hockey content - reporting, analytics, prospects, you name it. And many of us (most of us?) here read it, so you'll continue to see everyone linking to it.
I just did the same thing I do with Sirius when my subscription ran out. I canceled and then rejoined a day or 2 later with a deal for 50% off.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I just did the same thing I do with Sirius when my subscription ran out. I canceled and then rejoined a day or 2 later with a deal for 50% off.

Mine is coming due. Thanks for the heads up on their policy. I think I'll push it and see how low they go. I paid $24 for the first year. I'll see how long it takes them to reach that-if they go that low anymore. I'll guess that they do after a few weeks.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Mine is coming due. Thanks for the heads up on their policy. I think I'll push it and see how low they go. I paid $24 for the first year. I'll see how long it takes them to reach that-if they go that low anymore. I'll guess that they do after a few weeks.
You can push it pretty low before cancelling. The first offer is not their best deal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I appreciate the description. However, I don't appreciate links to pay walls. I would never provide a link to any sites I might be paying for, unless by oversight.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
Didn't get to see any of the game but I noticed Merzlikins got his first taste of some NHL ice time today? .944 sv% seems nice, but how did the King look out there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->