Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Kinkaid was just insurance in case Bob or Korpi gets hurts. I don't think it was a bad move.

Yes, beyond Korpi there was a significant drop off in NHL talent for the organization. I certainly would prefer a Korpi and Kinkaid pairing than Berube... No guarantee Elvis would have been available and/or ready for the NHL either. It was a smart hockey move.

Kinkaid is an insurance policy. I imagine this depends on whether or not there was a lingering injury with Bob or Korpi or an injury that could have happened (or still could).

I realize we like to second guess everything, but this? really?

I'm not second guessing it, I made the case at the time that the 5th round pick has a better chance of stardom than the chance that JF Berube would be in the Jackets net and be the one to wipe out our cup chances.

That's also some weird "insurance". You insure things that have a good chance of success, like your retirement or your home value, and you want to remove any chance of bad luck. Winning the Stanley Cup is not like that, it's a crapshoot for even the best teams. There's a low probability of success for everyone, and a lot more randomness and luck that affects every position, every line, every game. I can understand why it sounds prudent but it's really not.

Reactions: CPTN71

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not second guessing it, I made the case at the time that the 5th round pick has a better chance of stardom than the chance that JF Berube would be in the Jackets net and be the one to wipe out our cup chances.

That's also some weird "insurance". You insure things that have a good chance of success, like your retirement or your home value, and you want to remove any chance of bad luck. Winning the Stanley Cup is not like that, it's a crapshoot for even the best teams. There's a low probability of success for everyone, and a lot more randomness and luck that affects every position, every line, every game. I can understand why it sounds prudent but it's really not.

Maybe talk to the Flyers about how many different goalies they've used this year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe talk to the Flyers about how many different goalies they've used this year.

Let's assume that a massive Flyers style goalie injury crisis will happen on average once a year to some random NHL team (1/31). And let's assume that there's a 1/3 chance it will happen in the Spring. And let's assume the Jackets roster with a healthy goalie had a 1/11 chance of clicking and getting lucky enough that they could go all the way to the Cup.

1/31 * 1/3 * 1/11 ≈ 1/1000

That's a one in one thousand chance that JF Berube would have torpedoed what would have otherwise been the Jackets successful cup run.

You don't need to go through 1000 late round picks to find superstars like Pavel Datsyuk and Jamie Benn. You can also add on to that the benefit of getting a pretty good non superstar. In the 2010 5th round, Klingberg, Gallagher, and Michael Ferland were all taken.

Oh well. Most likely we'll neither need Kinkaid nor have gotten anything useful with the pick.

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think Kinkaid was just insurance in case Bob or Korpi gets hurts. I don't think it was a bad move.
I still think part of it was also insurance in case someone came in last minute and made an offer for Bob that we couldn't refuse.

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
To me it was clear that Merzlikins will cross the pond when he's able to get a one-way contract signed. He's a proven pro and he's making hundreds of thousands a year in Europe already so why would he risk it to play in the AHL with ELC contract (for 70k). This was the way to sign him for the next season and I'm sure CBJ office has known the situation the whole way. He is not looking for a mammoth contract in the summer but he and his agent wanted to make sure he doesn't have to play for peanuts.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Krispy

Sep 12, 2017
Riga, Latvia
Obviously he doesn't want to play for minimum wage in the AHL if his salary in Switzerland was a lot more higher and the role different.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Talk about conspiracy theories: Portzline actually responded to someone on twitter asking if Bob's injury has anything to do with the Elvis contract. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Obviously, stopping the puck is the critical thing. If Elvis can stop the puck, I'm a fan. That said, he's a fun guy, a really outgoing personality. A few years back, I was invited as a STH to a "meet the prospects" dinner at Nationwide. Elvis was at my table along with Thomas Larkin. Larkin spoke Italian and Elvis did, too. So, at the event Larkin served as an interpreter for Elvis who didn't speak much English at that point. Even with the language barrier, Elvis was outgoing, funny and charming. He has clearly learned a great deal more English in the ensuing years, based on that interview above. This could be fun... if he can stop the puck. Can't wait for the Elvis madness... if he can stop the puck. Fans dressed as Elvis, etc... This could be epic.

IF HE CAN STOP THE PUCK.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Seems to be a character. Sports need characters. CBJ needs a character. A fresh, outgoing face to sell the team.

Hope it goes well for him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Does he speak Russian, I wonder... but actually with Panarin and Bob gone, it doesn't matter a lot. Or does, considering there will be Gavrikov in the next season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Does he speak Russian, I wonder... but actually with Panarin and Bob gone, it doesn't matter a lot. Or does, considering there will be Gavrikov in the next season.
It seems like there are some significant difference between Latvian and Russian. I'd guess he speaks Italian better than all of them since he's live in Lugano for quite a long time.

That being said, this was in the article Tom Reed did on the Athletic about Elvis early in the season. "Merzlikins can greet well-wishers in Italian, English, Latvian and Russian. He can speak a few phrases in Spanish and Portuguese."

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Good idea to sign the king as a replacement for Bob over next season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It seems like there are some significant difference between Latvian and Russian. I'd guess he speaks Italian better than all of them since he's live in Lugano for quite a long time.

That being said, this was in the article Tom Reed did on the Athletic about Elvis early in the season. "Merzlikins can greet well-wishers in Italian, English, Latvian and Russian. He can speak a few phrases in Spanish and Portuguese."

The languages are not in the same family, but most Latvians can speak Russian. It was part of the Russian Empire long before the Soviet Union.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
No one word answers there. Very personable. Seems like a friendly kid. I am not taking a dig at Bobs but like night and day (in front of the mic).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad