Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So they will carry 4 goalies now. HE can't play in AHL this season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Its kind of funny how some people are triggered here by Elvis not wanting to play in the minors... hes 24. He has absolutley proved that he is NHL ready, not to mention NLA is much better proving ground that the ****ing A, LOL

I don't think this is "Lol"-worthy. No league outside of the NHL, not the NLA or AHL, can really offer proof of how ready a goalie is for the NHL. Showing that you can do it in the AHL in addition to the NLA is not laughable.

Reactions: Jean Valjean

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I don't think this is "Lol"-worthy. No league outside of the NHL, not the NLA or AHL, can really offer proof of how ready a goalie is for the NHL. Showing that you can do it in the AHL in addition to the NLA is not laughable.

Then why not just start him in NHL and see how it goes?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Some Clear day rule. Unless Portz is wrong. He can't be sent to Cle because he has signed his deal after TDL.
I don't see why someone who signs and entry level deal couldn't play but someone who signs an amateur tryout agreement could. That doesn't logically make sense.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I don't see why someone who signs and entry level deal couldn't play but someone who signs an amateur tryout agreement could. That doesn't logically make sense.
This is Portz.
"And the entry-level contract he’s already agreed to, though a two-way contract, doesn’t allow him to be sent to the AHL because he wasn’t under contract and on the Blue Jackets’ AHL “clear” list as of Feb. 25, the NHL trade deadline."

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This is Portz.
"And the entry-level contract he’s already agreed to, though a two-way contract, doesn’t allow him to be sent to the AHL because he wasn’t under contract and on the Blue Jackets’ AHL “clear” list as of Feb. 25, the NHL trade deadline."
And yet Werenski was able to play a few years ago on an ATO because his entry level deal didn't kick in until the next season. It just seems like a loophole that the ATO is used in that way to allow prospects to be eligible late in the year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And yet Werenski was able to play a few years ago on an ATO because his entry level deal didn't kick in until the next season. It just seems like a loophole that the ATO is used in that way to allow prospects to be eligible late in the year.

Ah, so thats why he can't sign the ELC and burn the year while getting experience. Makes sense.

Well, it's hard to blame him for his decision now. Hopefully he's ready for camp to battle with Korpisalo. I'll give the slight edge to Korpi. I wonder what kind of contract Elvis gets in the summer (like the AAV).

Jean Valjean

Mar 13, 2019
Yeah, about that. How terrible is it to have a guy who is confident in his abilities? We all knew this guy had a fiery attitude I've not seen in a goalie since Patrick Roy. I want a guy who is firmly confident in his ability and hates to lose. CBJ need a guy like this.

Sure he needs to prove it and is banking on his skills but name me 1 great player in the NHL that didn't absolutely believe in themselves?

Sometimes overconfident ;-)

he has qualities indeed, but the last season was not his best. He underperformed in all the big games and even in Play-offs he was way below his usual standards.

Good luck to him as in Lugano we love the guy.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Some Clear day rule. Unless Portz is wrong. He can't be sent to Cle because he has signed his deal after TDL.
I believe the Clear Day rules apply to who's eligible for the playoffs, not just to play in AHL. I believe Elvis can play in regular season games in AHL but not the playoffs.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone still think trading a pick for Kinkaid was smart?
Yes, beyond Korpi there was a significant drop off in NHL talent for the organization. I certainly would prefer a Korpi and Kinkaid pairing than Berube... No guarantee Elvis would have been available and/or ready for the NHL either. It was a smart hockey move.

Reactions: SuperGenius

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone still think trading a pick for Kinkaid was smart?

Kinkaid is an insurance policy. I imagine this depends on whether or not there was a lingering injury with Bob or Korpi or an injury that could have happened (or still could).

I realize we like to second guess everything, but this? really?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Then why not just start him in NHL and see how it goes?

Because we have a two-time Vezina winner and we're trying to make the playoffs.

If we can't keep Bob next year then I'm fine running Korpisalo and Merzlikins as an experiment, and acquiring a McBackup if they fail. But right now I don't think Merzlikins is justified demanding to be paid now while being unwilling to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad