Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I wonder if another team that's desperate for goaltending will offersheet him in the summer since he'll be an RFA on July 1

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wonder if another team that's desperate for goaltending will offersheet him in the summer since he'll be an RFA on July 1
Would any team offer him something that we just wouldn't match? It's not like the CBJ don't have money to spend in free agency or anything.

Anything up to just over 2 million AAV only requires them to give up a 3rd round pick at most. I think you just match at that point. It isn't like anyone will offer him a huge deal since he's still unproven. At least Miko Koskinen had played 25 NHL games before the Oilers signed him to that outrageous 4.5 AAV deal.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Would any team offer him something that we just wouldn't match? It's not like the CBJ don't have money to spend in free agency or anything.

Anything up to just over 2 million AAV only requires them to give up a 3rd round pick at most. I think you just match at that point. It isn't like anyone will offer him a huge deal since he's still unproven. At least Miko Koskinen had played 25 NHL games before the Oilers signed him to that outrageous 4.5 AAV deal.

It would be a huge gamble for any team to give him a contract that we wouldn't match. I'm not terribly worried though, it's not like we're in cap hell either and won't be able to retain our assets.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don’t see how Elvis is playing for any other NHL organization than the CBJ. If he did find a way to finagle his way out, our goalie situation for next season would be All Shook Up.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

screw this guy

Yeah, about that. How terrible is it to have a guy who is confident in his abilities? We all knew this guy had a fiery attitude I've not seen in a goalie since Patrick Roy. I want a guy who is firmly confident in his ability and hates to lose. CBJ need a guy like this.

Sure he needs to prove it and is banking on his skills but name me 1 great player in the NHL that didn't absolutely believe in themselves?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It makes no sense why they can’t meet in the middle. Sign the ELC, and burn off the year and sign a one way deal in the summer. In exchange, you finish the season in Cleveland. It’s only like 2-3 weeks in the minors for your one way deal in the summer.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It makes no sense why they can’t meet in the middle. Sign the ELC, and burn off the year and sign a one way deal in the summer. In exchange, you finish the season in Cleveland. It’s only like 2-3 weeks in the minors for your one way deal in the summer.

Yeah I don't see why he can't be assigned to Cleveland. He used his leverage to burn the ELC, he's a 24 year old pro, I can understand that. But why, if the Jackets are going to pay him a signing bonus now, can he not be assigned to Cleveland?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not a good first impression.
I get the business/pride side that he would rather be in a jet traveling than on a bus, but come on it's just for 3 weeks.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He has to prove he can play in the AHL before he gets a guaranteed job in Columbus.

Henrik Lundqvist never played in the minor leagues. He was the starter for the Rangers at 23 years old. Patrick Roy only played 1 game in the minors and essentially became the Canadiens starter at 20 years old. Elvis is 24 and will be 25 by the start of next season. It can be done.

When it comes down to it, the Monsters are essentially a group of has beens and probably never will be players with a couple of exceptions. The Monsters generally lack talent unfortunately. The CBJ seem content to keep drafting european talent and letting them develop in the better leagues in Europe versus the AHL.

Just to play Devil's advocate, if they believe in the talent and scouting from better european leagues, I'm not sure what playing in Cleveland will prove. At 24 years old he is either ready or he is not. I might think differently if he was 20 but he's well past that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Henrik Lundqvist never played in the minor leagues. He was the starter for the Rangers at 23 years old. Patrick Roy only played 1 game in the minors and essentially became the Canadiens starter at 20 years old. Elvis is 24 and will be 25 by the start of next season. It can be done.

When it comes down to it, the Monsters are essentially a group of has beens and probably never will be players with a couple of exceptions. The Monsters generally lack talent unfortunately. The CBJ seem content to keep drafting european talent and letting them develop in the better leagues in Europe versus the AHL.

Just to play Devil's advocate, if they believe in the talent and scouting from better european leagues, I'm not sure what playing in Cleveland will prove. At 24 years old he is either ready or he is not. I might think differently if he was 20 but he's well past that.

Also bob never played in the minors, just to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->