Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
he didn’t actually ask to be sent to Cleveland but he thought about asking them to go.

I do think the coaching is mismanaging him. Throwing him right into a Pittsburgh road game was a mistake. He has been better since then considering the team plays like crap in front of both goalies and Torts has basically chosen to play Korpisalo in every game that doesn’t fall into a back to back.

I don't think Tort's strength is roster management.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Elvis has been a better goalie than Korpisalo in the last month. That timeline starts immediately after the Pittsburgh game - which many may be willing to discount as "first NHL start nerves."

In The Athletic piece, it's noted that Elvis basically asked to get sent to Cleveland for some games in October because the schedule was so spread out. Two points there - 1) he had that option last spring and declined, but also 2) what a ****y job by the front office mismanaging the situation if a goalie who is waivers-exempt is asking for games in the AHL and not granting that for a month, while sticking with your .895 goalie (or whatever) who is clearly bad and perhaps even worse than the rookie.

Pretty terrible post, IMO.

At NO point has Merzlikins ever looked like a better goalie than Korpisalo.

Merzlikins has looked shaky as hell the vast majority of time he's in and he has let in some VERY WEAK goals.

He has serious issues with playing too deep in his crease and his overall angle work is quite subpar, along with his glove hand, and quite frankly many other aspects to his game.

GREAT tattoos and name though.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Merzlikins has looked shaky as hell the vast majority of time he's in and he has let in some VERY WEAK goals.

He has serious issues with playing too deep in his crease and his overall angle work is quite subpar, along with his glove hand, and quite frankly many other aspects to his game.

Wait is he too deep or is he too aggressive at challenging shooters and leaving the net open?

Which is it? It certainly can't be both.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wait is he too deep or is he too aggressive at challenging shooters and leaving the net open?

Which is it? It certainly can't be both.

Where have I ever said a thing about him being "too aggressive at challenging shooters"?

He's leaving the net open and getting beat from distance and/or on open looks because he's simply off his angles, many times mainly because he's much too deep in his crease.

The "too aggressive" and/or the "out of his crease" complaints for almost ANY goalie, Korpisalo included, is BOGUS. The problem is NEVER them being too aggressive, the problem is they are not able to recover.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Where have I ever said a thing about him being "too aggressive at challenging shooters"?

He's leaving the net open and getting beat from distance and/or on open looks because he's simply off his angles, many times mainly because he's much too deep in his crease.

The "too aggressive" and/or the "out of his crease" complaints for almost ANY goalie, Korpisalo included, is BOGUS. The problem is NEVER them being too aggressive, the problem is they are not able to recover.

I never said you said it but it was a common complaint after his last start. And I'm guessing sometimes you just can't recover when there is nobody on the backside to clear your rebound.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Check the stats since 10/6. Elvis has been better.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I never said you said it but it was a common complaint after his last start. And I'm guessing sometimes you just can't recover when there is nobody on the backside to clear your rebound.

The difference is that with Korpisalo, you most of the time get a rebound, with Merzlikins, he is getting beat on shots that NHL goalies shouldn't get beat on, both from distance and with no traffic.

There are significant differences between the current overall skill, covering many different aspects of their game, when talking about Korpisalo and Merzlkins. Korpisalo is quite literally superior in every way, and always has been.

Another quick reminder that they are the same age and this is the 1st year EITHER GUY has been given ANY opportunity to TRULY "prove" the type of player they are at the NHL level.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Korpisalo is going to get the chance to be the starter. He was told he was the starter and Elvis is the backup. You can't say Elvis is playing better based on 3+ games compared to 13 for Korpi. There isn't even a big difference in their stats. Korpisalo is going to have to be spectacularly bad before they yank him from being the starter. Thats how it should be. To even bring up a comparison with such a big gap in playing time makes no sense. I could understand closing the gap in games played, but Korpisalo should definately get more games and it should be his job to lose.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->