Injury Report: Update: Mike Green out for season with virus

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Okay, so either this is a very serious virus, or this is not the reason he's out.

It's got to be serious, right? They could make up other reasons for him to be out that don't create a sense of worry for his well-being.

Reactions: izlez

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's got to be serious, right? They could make up other reasons for him to be out that don't create a sense of worry for his well-being.

yeah could just as easily say he has an upper/lower body injury or something vague like that if it isn't true

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
So, theoretically, this particular strain of virus, whatever it is, could return to every player on the team before the end of the season, forcing us into 31st place?

Get well, Mike!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
But you can still imagine how bad he'll be.

all the more reason to bring him back after his current contract

he's always been a bit too good to really fit in here but a few more years of experience and maybe he can become one of those mythical veteran leadership guys

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Okay, so either this is a very serious virus, or this is not the reason he's out.

I know we talked about this the last time it came up, and there's only a handful of things this could be, none of them encouraging for a professional athlete. Or anyone, really.

They've officially said it's a virus. And in September they said it was attacking his liver. It causing issues again suggests this wasn't an acute condition, unfortunately.

This is a bummer.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
main-battle-tank-picture-id121143704

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

The only real possibilities are the types of things that would be life altering. Very very few viruses establish life long infection (and if it hasn't cleared after half a year, it usually is a life long infection). The main three types are HIV (and other retroviruses), Hepatitis B (C is curable), and Herpes viruses (they don't attack the liver unless you're immunosuppressed).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The only real possibilities are the types of things that would be life altering. Very very few viruses establish life long infection (and if it hasn't cleared after half a year, it usually is a life long infection). The main three types are HIV (and other retroviruses), Hepatitis B (C is curable), and Herpes viruses (they don't attack the liver unless you're immunosuppressed).

Not saying that his life is in danger, but you are without a doubt smart enough to realize having a virus that attacks the liver is significantly more concerning than having a "tweak in practice" a la Vanek. If they were just creating an excuse to get him off the ice, they could do it in a less serious way that is easier to mask (if it's fake) than this virus. I assume someone from your discipline would easily be able to point to something and say "Here. Proof." right?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
They wouldn't let him play professional hockey with anything really serious. There's just too much blood. Let's just wait and see.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have to admit I am very concerned at this point and I also seriously doubt the timeline they have given on it this time around.

I wish Green the best, hopefully this isn't as bad as it seems.

Reactions: Winger98

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It is hard to imagine he would come back so quickly in a meaningless season.

Good luck Mike, I hope this is not life altering.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->