News Article: Update July 26: Rest in Peace Eddie Shack

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Great little article here on Shack who is having bit of a set back in hospital from radiation from cancer. Hoping he hangs in there for a long time yet. The biggest character Leafs fans ever had probably ha

Cool information about his career in this article and definitely glad i read it.

If anyone knows how to set up a electronic get well card to sign on here and send to them would be awesome.
Eddie Shack’s final battle
I don’t like the name of the article.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Great little article here on Shack who is having bit of a set back in hospital from radiation from cancer. Hoping he hangs in there for a long time yet. The biggest character Leafs fans ever had probably ha

Cool information about his career in this article and definitely glad i read it.

If anyone knows how to set up a electronic get well card to sign on here and send to them would be awesome.
Eddie Shack’s final battle
I don’t like the name of the article.
He's from my hometown. He is an interesting fellow. Definitely one of a kind - a real character. And I agree, that headline seems to be premature.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's from my hometown. He is an interesting fellow. Definitely one of a kind - a real character. And I agree, that headline seems to be premature.
Haha couldn’t have a better guy being from your hometown. The guy was a player and like a tank from my early memories of the leafs. That evil grin man. Lol its true they didn’t know what he was going to do next and he feared no man :)

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Haha couldn’t have a better guy being from your hometown. The guy was a player and like a tank from my early memories of the leafs. That evil grin man. Lol its true they didn’t know what he was going to do next and he feared no man :)
When you look at the type of players that came from the Sudbury area....lot of similar types of playing styles. That's how we had to play.

A few examples:

Eddie Shack
the 3 Folignos (Mike, Nick, Marcus)
the 2 Troys (Mallette and Crowder)
the 2 Bertuzzis (Todd and Tyler)
Randy Carlyle
Al Secord
Dave Lowry
etc....

There was a common theme with most of them. They all played with a serious edge.

Ahhhh….memory lane.....lol

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When you look at the type of players that came from the Sudbury area....lot of similar types of playing styles. That's how we had to play.

A few examples:

Eddie Shack
Randy Carlyle
Al Secord
Dave Lowry
etc....

There was a common theme with most of them. They all played with a serious edge.

It is da best way to play. All da skater boyzs are worried. Gives you a lot of open ice. Can't wait to see Foligno throw with Cliffy in a few weeks.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

A few examples:

Eddie Shack
Randy Carlyle
Al Secord
Dave Lowry
etc....

Well with all those 'Saturday Nights" it makes sense.

Da girls are out to Bingo and the boys are gettin' stinko,
And we think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
The glasses dey will tinkle when our eyes begin to twinkle,
And we'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.…
And we'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
With Irish Jim O'Connel der and Scotty Jack MacDonald,
Dere's honky Fredrick Hurchell gettin' tight, but dat's alright,
Dere's happy German Fritzy der with Frenchy getting tipsy,
And even Joe da Gypsy knows it's Saturday tonight.
Now when Mary Ann and Mabel come to join us at the table,
And tell us how the Bingo went tonight, we'll look a fright.
But if dey won da money, we'll be lappin' up da honey, boys,
'Cause everything is funny, for it's Saturday tonight
Da girls are out to Bingo and da boys are gettin' stinko,
We'll drink da loot we borrowed and recuperate tomorrow,
'Cause everything is wonderful tonight, we had a good fight,
We ate the Dilly Pickle and we forgot about the Nickel,
And everybody's tickled, for it's Saturday tonight!
The songs that we'll be singin', they might be wrong but dey'll be ringin',
When the lights of town are shining bright, and we're all tight,
We'll get to work on Monday, but tomorrow's only Sunday,
And we're out to have a fun day for it's Saturday tonight.
Yeah, da girls are out to Bingo and da boys are gettin' stinko,
We'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.

Stompin Tom

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It is da best way to play. All da skater boyzs are worried. Gives you a lot of open ice. Can't wait to see Foligno throw with Cliffy in a few weeks.
It is the best way, but in today's game you have to play with an edge but stay on the right side of the line. Back then you would absolutely get eaten alive on the ice if you didn't show backbone. Even more passive players like Jim Pappin, Ron Duguay, and Andrew Brunette would fight for their ice and positioning.

It's either do that or go work in the mines.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well with all those 'Saturday Nights" it makes sense.

And we'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.…
With Irish Jim O'Connel der and Scotty Jack MacDonald,
Dere's honky Fredrick Hurchell gettin' tight, but dat's alright,
Dere's happy German Fritzy der with Frenchy getting tipsy,
And even Joe da Gypsy knows it's Saturday tonight.
Now when Mary Ann and Mabel come to join us at the table,
And tell us how the Bingo went tonight, we'll look a fright.
But if dey won da money, we'll be lappin' up da honey, boys,
'Cause everything is funny, for it's Saturday tonight
Da girls are out to Bingo and da boys are gettin' stinko,
We'll drink da loot we borrowed and recuperate tomorrow,
'Cause everything is wonderful tonight, we had a good fight,
We ate the Dilly Pickle and we forgot about the Nickel,
And everybody's tickled, for it's Saturday tonight!
The songs that we'll be singin', they might be wrong but dey'll be ringin',
When the lights of town are shining bright, and we're all tight,
We'll get to work on Monday, but tomorrow's only Sunday,
And we're out to have a fun day for it's Saturday tonight.
Yeah, da girls are out to Bingo and da boys are gettin' stinko,
We'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.

Stompin Tom
Our anthem. We lent it to Hockey Night in Canada so the whole country could share. lol

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Local legend. Used to see him around the North Toronto area (pre-mega-city) and was a fixture in the community.

Sadly, from what I've read, there is no getting better. He's in palliative care.

Reactions: therealkoho and kb

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Eddie is somewhat remembered by many as a sort of class clown, a fringe player and glove dropper, and yeah that was certainly part of who he was. He was so much more though, he was a true glue guy on those 60's cup teams, yeah he dropped the mitts when needed but he could score and broke 20 goals 5 times in his long career, he scored the winner in the 63 finals. He was one of the best skaters the Leafs had in those days and maybe ranked top 20 in the entire league. The guy came to play every night even the nights Imlach would bench him for clowning either on the bench or in the room before games or in between periods. If he was benched Eddie would come out early onto the freshly Zambonied ice and do a figure skating routine, this got him the moniker "The Entertainer," Imlach would be blowing a gasket at that stuff, the Gardens crowd would eventually start the "we want Shack" chant and wouldn't let up until Imlach relented and put Eddie in. The end result was almost always a goal and a Leafs team that suddenly came alive.

George Armstrong told a story of how it used to drive Imlach nut's that Eddie was a bit of a free wheeler when playing his regular shifts, coming off his wing to chase a puck carrier or crossing over to the opposite wing or centre postion on breakouts. So Imlach had a red line painted 12 feet off the boards for practice and told Eddie that he had to no matter the circumstances stay within that line. Eddie complied and did his best to give Punch what he wanted. After a week or so the coach finally put Eddie back in the starting line-up on his regular line with Army and Ron Stewart. On his first shift Eddie crossed the ice in the attacking zone to make a hit. Imlach was incensed and benched him for the rest of the period. During the intermission, Imlach still fuming tore a strip off of Eddie and demanded to know why he came off his wing, Eddie with a perfectly straight face looked up at Imlach and said "gee coach I didn't see any lines out there!" of course it cracked up the dressing room and kept the team loose.

Eddie couldn't sign his first pro contract nor his 2nd or 3rd, but eventually learned to both read and write and eventually became a staunch advocate for childhood literacy here in Canada.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few times and even have a pop or two with him, he was a really good guy and a lot of fun.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From the Boston Globe:

Sad to hear reports this past week that Eddie Shack, 83, entered palliative care for cancer.
The rollicking right winger won four Cups in Toronto and inspired a song — “Clear the Track, Here Comes Shack” — that became an instant hit in the city during his breakout 26-goal season of 1965-66. He was also loathed by Bruins fans, until The Entertainer landed in Boston for two seasons (1967-69).
Milt Schmidt, the GM who handed the Leafs $100,000 and Murray Oliver for Shack in May ’67, believed the deal was one of the keys to turning around the moribund Bruins. “We had [Bobby] Orr by then, but even he wasn’t enough,” Schmidt, who died in 2017, told the Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont in 1990. “We needed Shack to inject some laughs and humor. Remember, we’d had some dark days here in the ’60s. Shack worked hard, but he also made everyone laugh, and the togetherness just seemed to grow and grow.”

On a personal note, I loved watching him play. I hope he doesnt suffer.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
"Clear the track here comes Shack".

I'm not old enough to remember watching him play in the NHL, but I am old enough to remember watching him get traded and switch jerseys in the middle of an old timer's game.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
RIP Eddy! Here is a little Eddy Shack story for you. My buddy was building an ice fishing shack and I told him you should call it Eddy. He said why, so I told him Eddy Shack. He, of course a Leafs fan, said that's a great idea! So he built it, painted it blue and white, had the name Eddy on the front between two Maple Leafs, and Shack with the #23 on the back. He posted his ice fishing shack on facebook and Eddy Shack was told about it and he checked it out himself. The next week Eddy contacted my buddy and flew to Saskatchewan and went ice fishing with him. What a guy and of course he was quite the entertainer.

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Im gobsmacked that noone has commented on his passing.
He was a man amongst men and a true canadian.

Clearing the track one last time.
Always beloved and never forgotten

RIP Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->