Update: Conflicting info on Holland. (He still might return.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There's the fiction.
Holland always has the negotiating advantage with mediocre players.
ALWAYS.
He just acts like he doesn't. And some fans support every bad move he makes, making up nonsense.

Ken Holland is over a barrel if a young Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Lidstrom demand the the moon.

He's never over a barrel when a run-of-the-mill defenseman demands a lifetime contract.
Never.

You’re actually right on this. In normal negotiations, he should have the ability to walk away. The biggest issue with Ericsson and Abdelkaders negotiations was the dearth of physicality on this roster. If you walked away from Ericsson and Abby you have a team of powder puffs. Yes, E was more of a kitten than a lion but teams still have to consider his size and the fact that he can get a snarl going if he’s got a bur in his giddyup

The Wings in those playoff runs surrounding this signing and Abby’s signing got ran out the damn building by their guys like Tatar and Nyquist getting their lunch money stolen on every playoff shift and it was even worse in the series when Abby got kicked out for a couple games for the dirty hit.

Holland and co valued that toughness and physicality too much... and E had injuries that directly zapped his away from him.

The Wings probably could have made do with signing Nick Schultz and/or Ron Hainsey or similar. But rightly or wrongly, they wanted to stick by their guys and trust that they had more room to grow and would fit their system better.

If you subscribe to the idea that E was a top 4D (which at that time, he undoubtedly was a top 4 defensive D), the contract fits that role. It just had zero upside and plenty of room for downside. That’s why it was a bad deal.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Extended for 2, yes... 2 years

So the whole Yzerman theory is out the window, he is extended because they want his as the GM not a stop gap.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Extended for 2, yes... 2 years

So the whole Yzerman theory is out the window, he is extended because they want his as the GM not a stop gap.

Not necessarily. In 1 year IF Yzerman did actually want to come here and Holland was ready to move up, its not like they can't do it because he signed a 2 year deal.

But BinCookin's right, Yzerman's not coming here. Or at least not anytime soon.

I'm sure this board is about to explode soon. I feel like Redder is going to have a stroke.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You obviously knew he was coming back. The Wings never even thought about replacing him.

Dumb decision, but that's par for the course when it comes to the Wings.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I really hope it won't come true, but here's my prediction:

Next season will not be treated like a rebuilding year. The organization will not be okay with finishing in the bottom 10 again. Holland was extended on the agreement that he make the playoffs ASAP.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Next season will not be treated like a rebuilding year. The organization will not be okay with finishing in the bottom 10 again. Holland was extended on the agreement that he make them competitive ASAP.

If that's the case though, that's on Illitch.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Next season will not be treated like a rebuilding year. The organization will not be okay with finishing in the bottom 10 again. Holland was extended on the agreement that he make them competitive ASAP.

Really doubt that.

The Wings are locked into another bottom ten finish for the next several years. It doesn't matter if the organization isn't OK with it. Their drafting and FA signings over the last decade have sealed their fate.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Really doubt that.

The Wings are locked into another bottom ten finish for the next several years. It doesn't matter if the organization isn't OK with it. Their drafting and FA signings over the last decade have sealed their fate.
I'm referring to Mr. Ken's Wild Ride: trading prospects and picks for NHL veterans. Or as it is sometimes known, "mortgaging the future."

Or the newest fun wrinkle on the formula, trading picks and prospects to get rid of bad contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad