Boston Globe UPDATE - Bruins postpone ceremony to honor 1970 Stanley Cup team

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They lived next door to Mike Allstott the former Bucs FB. I was invited down never made it unfortunately. . Yah Alex Selivanov

I got to know Carrie well in the early '90s when we were living in Tampa and I dubbed her a tape of her Dad's retirement ceremony which she had never seen and it turned out Phil hadn't either.

I remember one night back in 1991 when we were at a bar in St. Pete and I was sitting next to Phil and Tony and we were watching Nolan Ryan pitch his 7th no-hitter and the trade came up in small talk. I told Phil that I had heard that Harry never forgave you for doing a victory dance after he scored a garbage-time goal in an elimination game against Chicago against his brother. Phil says I never did that and Tony says 'yes you did'.

The game in question was in the first round of the 1975 playoffs and Tony stole the game.

upload_2020-3-4_15-54-45.png

But as I stated in the OP Jacobs signed off on Phil being awarded the Tampa franchise over Karmanos because he promised the BoG he would pay the $50 million expansion fee upfront, Same thing happened when the owner of Tim Hortons balked at the 50 million fee and the other expansion franchise went to Ottawa instead of Hamilton.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I got to know Carrie well in the early '90s when we were living in Tampa and I dubbed her a tape of her Dad's retirement ceremony which she had never seen and it turned out Phil hadn't either.

I remember one night back in 1991 when we were at a bar in St. Pete and I was sitting next to Phil and Tony and we were watching Nolan Ryan pitch his 7th no-hitter and the trade came up in small talk. I told Phil that I had heard that Harry never forgave you for doing a victory dance after he scored a garbage-time goal in an elimination game against Chicago against his brother. Phil says I never did that and Tony says 'yes you did'.

The game in question was in the first round of the 1975 playoffs and Tony stole the game.

View attachment 330959

But as I stated in the OP Jacobs signed off on Phil being awarded the Tampa franchise over Karmanos because he promised the BoG he would pay the $50 million expansion fee upfront, Same thing happened when the owner of Tim Hortons balked at the 50 million fee and the other expansion franchise went to Ottawa instead of Hamilton.

day of 7 going up

I came home from work and asked my mother how rhe shopping went? She took Carrie to TJ Maxx on 114 in Danvers to get her outfit for that nights retirement.

My mother gave me a disgusting look and says she got this outfit and a huge Belt that looks like one of your young nephews toy wrestling belts.’

That night I was walking thru the Garden downstairs (by the pizza squares) and the Esposito entourage is coming to us. I had told the boys about the outfit and we were curious how it would look. Carrie sees me and comes bolting over for a hug. That girl was a character - so sad she’s gone.

what I can’t remember was Laurie there? She had to have been. Do you know? I know her and Phil had their moments.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
We all have our moments.
Yup,I have a pal who is a recently retired BPD Superintendent who was unceremoniously rebuffed by Orr,and growing up in Boston,Orr was a god. The guy never got over it. I'm betting he'll meet him again as he is now Head of Security for the Sox.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I met Phil during a presentation and book signing in New Jersey. Two recollections stand out:

1- a young kid in the audience asks him his best hockey memory- without hesitation he says the 1970 Cup. Then he looks at me ( in my Bs hat) and says Boston was his greatest life experience ....in front of a crowd of mostly Rangers fans

2- my wife and I are near the end of the autograph line...he signs his book and notices I have a SI with Phil and Bobby on the cover. I tell him he was my mom's favorite player during the WSNK days. The store manger says no additional signings ....Phil looks at him and says he will damn well sign what he wants, signs the SI and then chats with us for 5 minutes.

It's not very often people you looked up to as a kid turn out the way you would hope. ..Phil was one of those few. When the "70" team shows up I'll be wearing #7.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back in 2013 Espo talked to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun

Esposito brothers split on how much Boston-Chicago final means

You would think Phil Esposito, hockey man, might be more than a little pumped that his Boston Bruins are playing his Chicago Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup.

Well, think again.

"You want to know the truth," said Esposito, the fifth-leading goal scorer in hockey history. "This series doesn’t mean s*** to me.

"I have no feeling for these teams. There’s nothing emotional about it. They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them.

"I didn’t choose to leave Chicago. I didn’t choose to leave Boston. I signed a contract in Boston for less money than I could have gotten from going to the WHA. I could have made millions doing that. And you know how they repaid me? Three weeks later, they traded me (to the New York Rangers)."

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think this is a hint of what is coming

Bruins postpone ceremony to honor 1970 Stanley Cup team - The Boston Globe

The Bruins announced Wednesday a planned ceremony to honor the 1970 Stanley Cup champions later this month has been postponed until next season.

“Given the higher risks associated with COVID-19 in older adults, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends avoiding all non-essential travel and as such the Bruins do not want to encourage travel for members of the 1970 team,” read a statement issued by the team.

The ceremony was scheduled to be held prior to the Bruins-Red Wings game on March. Instead, an event will be held next fall.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I think this is a hint of what is coming

Bruins postpone ceremony to honor 1970 Stanley Cup team - The Boston Globe

The Bruins announced Wednesday a planned ceremony to honor the 1970 Stanley Cup champions later this month has been postponed until next season.

“Given the higher risks associated with COVID-19 in older adults, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends avoiding all non-essential travel and as such the Bruins do not want to encourage travel for members of the 1970 team,” read a statement issued by the team.

The ceremony was scheduled to be held prior to the Bruins-Red Wings game on March. Instead, an event will be held next fall.
Damn

Even if COVID-19 doesnt shut down the game itself to the public later on - was anyone going to show up to that game anyway now? I mean its Detroit lol

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I specifically bought tickets for that game only for that ceremony. Why the f*** do I wanna see Detroit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad