Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
As unfortunate as the budget cuts are the money is being cut from the operational budget, which is different from the capital budget which is where the funds are coming to pay for the city’s share of the arena.

No money can be shifted from one to the other. Even if the arena funds could be shifted to the operation budget it would be short-term relief, the city will be in a same position in a year or two and they would have no funds for building.

As bad as the optics look, even if an event centre/arena deal wasn’t reach none of the jobs lost would have been saved or service cuts remained intact.

Ugh, such a BS excuse. I know you're just repeating what the mayor and several councillors have stated; it's non-sense. The capital budget is also used for paying for upgrades and O&M projects at pre-existing facilities, for procurement of fleet vehicles (e.g. garbage trucks), that sort of thing. That means every dollar spent on a new Flames arena is a dollar coming out of the capital budget that could have been allocated to, say, replacing the ice plant at a community arena, or buying a new street cleaning machine, or new roads, new utilities, etc.

And guess where that capital budget comes from? A lot of it is funding from other levels of government, but the rest is from the reserve fund (which CAN be used on the operating budget), and debt. Guess which budget the debt servicing costs end up coming out of?

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I don't think the Flames ownership would move the team themselves. They would sell to parties with no intention of keeping the team in Calgary....with the league's blessing.

It's what happened in Seattle with the Sonics when ownership came to the end of the road for a new building there.

I'm speaking realistically. 100% private was not going to happen from the start and this has been going on for over 10 years. Its been going on for way too long. If the city wants the team to 100% pay for it all might as well say good bye to the franchise. Seattle lost their NBA team cause they didn't want to pay for a new building when they already are paying for one that was badly done.

And what happened to Seattle after the Sonics left?

NOTHING.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Ugh, such a BS excuse. I know you're just repeating what the mayor and several councillors have stated; it's non-sense. The capital budget is also used for paying for upgrades and O&M projects at pre-existing facilities, for procurement of fleet vehicles (e.g. garbage trucks), that sort of thing. That means every dollar spent on a new Flames arena is a dollar coming out of the capital budget that could have been allocated to, say, replacing the ice plant at a community arena, or buying a new street cleaning machine, or new roads, new utilities, etc.

And guess where that capital budget comes from? A lot of it is funding from other levels of government, but the rest is from the reserve fund (which CAN be used on the operating budget), and debt. Guess which budget the debt servicing costs end up coming out of?

And where did I say the capital budget can't be used for the other projects listed above? Yes, I'm aware that some of that funding comes from other levels of government, which wouldn't go towards the operating budget

The cuts made this week we're scheduled to happen anyways as painful as they we're. Even if an arena deal wasn't reached.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
How much was destroyed removed after the 2013 flood?

Good question, LadyStanley. It may appear to some that I "stacked the deck" in my previous mark-up by showing post-flood 2018 conditions.

So, here's 2012:

hgmPHyY.png

And here's 2014:

O5MPyzH.png

Can you spot the difference?

Answer:

kkoEoth.png

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
And where did I say the capital budget can't be used for the other projects listed above? Yes, I'm aware that some of that funding comes from other levels of government, which wouldn't go towards the operating budget

The cuts made this week we're scheduled to happen anyways as painful as they we're. Even if an arena deal wasn't reached.

You said "No money can be shifted from one to the other."

What I'm saying is, "Yeah, sure, but the reserve funds can be used on either, and the debt used to fund one of the budgets is paid out of the other one." It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The cuts weren't "scheduled" to happen, they happened because the council decided to appease the business owners screaming that their property taxes were too high. They could have dipped into that very same reserve fund that's used to fund capital projects, like the new arena, but they chose to cut services instead.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I get it you don't like the deal and that's fine and understand what you're saying about the reserve fund.

What I'm referring to is others have said upthread that 60 million was cut from the budget to go towards the construction of an arena. What I'm saying is even if the arena deal wasn't done though the cuts would have still happened as you said there were other business owners screaming that their taxes we're too high.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
And what I'm saying is it's disingenuous to separate the two issues entirely, because the money to pay for the arena will eventually—if it's drawn from the reserve fund or debt servicing costs—end up coming from the operating budget that the $60 million cuts had to be made from in the first place. It will impact the operating budget.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And what happened to Seattle after the Sonics left?

NOTHING.

Local business near key arena economically went down when the Sonics left. Oh btw The soincs leave did force the issue about actually getting a much better building. And its all 100% private cause those were the terms Seattle set from the start. The reason why the sonics left cause the 95 renovations went cheap.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Why shouldn't it be "all private"? They get all the profits; why shouldn't they front all the costs?

How is it not the case of the taxpayers being "completely hosed to enrich ownership"?

Like what? How? Are you going to trot out the old adage that it "keeps the bars busy on game nights"? As you can plainly see on the marked-up satellite photo in my previous post, the area around the Saddledome is a desert of parking lots; it didn't aid any businesses in the area.

There is no tax revenue! The tax revenues they're purporting will be generated are pixie dust and unicorn farts.

You've capitulated and accepted that it's "a good deal" only because, relative to other debacles like the Marlins' stadium in Miami, it's "not as bad as it could be". It's like saying "well, you got screwed, but at least they told you you were pretty".

Then so be it. Let 'em leave! Let 'em screw over some other schmuck municipality who're willing to foot the bill for a stadium.

No, it's because gullible people have been conned into believing it must be so. There are lots of privately-built stadia the world over. In the NHL alone: Vegas, Denver, Toronto, Columbus, LA, DC, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Manhattan...

Oh puh-lease, this is right out of the team owners' playbook. Atlanta is no less "prestigious" and a "destination for skilled workers" because it doesn't have a hockey team anymore. Houston, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego... the list of cities without pro hockey teams is riddled with "prestigious" ones in which no one gives a flying fig about it.

Pro sports teams do not generate wealth, pro sports teams go to cities where wealth already exists.

I'll start off by saying it's really f***ing stupid when people break up posts to make tiny little comments about solitary sentences out of context. It's a shitty way to argue and it's even more annoying to read.

1. Please explain how this is enriching owners at taxpayers expense (and in that you're implying the taxpayers and cities gain no benefit) and don't just say because it is.

2. Modern sports venues are not built in the middle of nowhere without local businesses nearby. They are part of larger projects where they anchor a redevelopment (or new development) that includes other destinations. They are explicitly doing that with this arena deal and talking about the situation around the Saddledome, which is an ancient building built when developers weren't nearly as business savvy as they are today, is irrelevant.

3. If you think that an arena and the effects it has on local business and public spending generates no tax revenue I really don't know why I'm wasting time replying to you. This is a common trope of people who don't like ANY public money in arenas and it's completely baseless.

4. I capitulated nothing. Please try to use correct words in the future; it's confusing when we don't use precise language. I have made it explicitly clear there are good deals and there are bad deals. The Marlins deal was atrocious because ownership was shady, the Marlins aren't even that popular (so they didn't have leverage), and the municipalities still were on hold for the vast majority of the bill. Not to mention all the other parts of the deal that were atrocious, like the interest free loan given to the Marlins to help them pay their small share, practically none of the revenue from the stadium, fees that the City must pay as part of the deal, and more. That deal is what they teach and will forever teach as a bad public-private partnership.

I did not say the Flames deal was fair because it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's fair because it's a fair deal. The comparison was to illustrate that there is a line between a good deal and a bad one. And the Flames deal is nothing like the Marlins deal so the comparison isn't being made in that respect.

5. We should all be glad you're not a politician making these decisions. The Flames make the city better, and they make the city a more desirable place to live. They are as much a public asset as a museum, concert venue, or public parks.

6. Almost every single one of those cities you mentioned had their arena built a long time ago, when costs were significantly less, and arenas weren't being used an anchor projects for redevelopment. Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Denver, Washington and Columbus were all built in the mid-1990s to 1999-2000 for costs significantly less than what a modern arena would cost today. Vegas is an entirely different situation. For one, Vegas really needed an arena and there was a demand to build one. Two, you had private interests who knew they could make a profit off an arena due to the unique situation in Vegas and so public funding wasn't necessary or even desirable as a means to hedge their bets.

If you look at almost every single recent sports venue development, public money is a given. Sometimes it's in tax breaks, sometimes it's in project money allotted by cities for building things just like sports venues. Every recent CFL stadium in Canada has been built with public funding. Detroit's new arena, which anchors a redevelopment project in the Downtown Core, was built on a broadly similar deal to Calgary's. The stalled negotiations between the NCC in Ottawa and Melnyk were completely predicated on there being some public money, where a deal fell through was Melnyk wanted too much public funding and the municipal government called his bluff. Public involvement is a given, and it makes sense because the city is getting something out of it.

7. Lol, is Atlanta anything like Calgary? Atlanta has a franchise in every other major sports venue and it's a destination hub in the Southern States for business and entertainment. Calgary is none of that. The Flames are one of if not the biggest entertainment ticket in town (the Stampede is a seasonal attraction). Their loss would be a massive blow to the city, not unlike the loss suffered by Winnipeg and Quebec. This has nothing to do with what a professional hockey team specifically brings to the city and everything to do with a city of Calgary's size requiring sufficient big ticket attractions to remain a top city. Why do you think cities invest so much money in festivals, amenities, and public venues? The loss of the Flames is a massive blow to the city, there is no two ways around that.

8. Professional teams absolutely generate wealth and you're incredibly foolish if you think teams will stay just because a city is wealthy. Vancouver was incredibly wealthy and it still lost it's NBA team. Atlanta is incredibly wealthy and it still lost the Thrashers. The relationship between a city and a professional franchise is a symbiotic relationship, where both gain something out of the relationship and both put something in.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
When other municipal services are being cut by 60 million dollars so tax payer money can be shifted to construction of a sports arena, there is a problem.

The timing of that announcement is a coincidence. It has nothing to do with the deal and it would have happened regardless.

People don't understand that money is budgeted in different ways. It doesn't all come from one pot. The $60 mil cut today comes from a different pot then the money that will be used to built Calgary's new arena.

Reactions: DoyleG

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I'll start off by saying it's really ****ing stupid when people break up posts to make tiny little comments about solitary sentences out of context. It's a ****ty way to argue and it's even more annoying to read.

Oh yeah? Well I'll start off by saying making stupid, ****ty numbered lists rather than point-by-point responses is worse. If you don't like, tough; deal with it.

1. Please explain how this is enriching owners at taxpayers expense (and in that you're implying the taxpayers and cities gain no benefit) and don't just say because it is.

They get an arena, theirs to manage free-and-clear, bought and paid for with taxpayer money. If you can't comprehend how this enriches them at the taxpayers' expense I don't know how to make it any clearer to you; maybe a diagram with stick figures carrying little sacks with dollar signs on them would help? Refer to my reply to your sixth point for more info.

2. Modern sports venues are not built in the middle of nowhere without local businesses nearby. They are part of larger projects where they anchor a redevelopment (or new development) that includes other destinations. They are explicitly doing that with this arena deal and talking about the situation around the Saddledome, which is an ancient building built when developers weren't nearly as business savvy as they are today, is irrelevant.

So who's building these "other destinations"? What are they? Where are they? How can you say "the situation around the Saddledome [...] is irrelevant"? The new arena will be built literally 400 feet away: it is "the situation around the Saddledome". What is this new arena going to do differently that will make it an "anchor for redevelopment", that the Saddledome did not do?

Oh but they're savvier now! The magic beans of "business savvy" will make it so!

tenor.gif

3. If you think that an arena and the effects it has on local business and public spending generates no tax revenue I really don't know why I'm wasting time replying to you. This is a common trope of people who don't like ANY public money in arenas and it's completely baseless.

This is a common trope of people who were suckered into believing the team owners. Which taxes are you talking about? The only taxes the City of Calgary levies are property taxes, which the arena won't be assessed, because the City will own it. So where's all this tax revenue going to come from? Oh right, the "other destinations" that the savvy developers' magic beans will cause to sprout up.

4. I capitulated nothing. Please try to use correct words in the future; it's confusing when we don't use precise language.

Surrender? Submit? Succumb? Which one would you like me to use? It means to yield to an unwelcome demand from an antagonist. But I guess you don't see the teams as antagonists, so that's why it doesn't make sense to you.

I have made it explicitly clear there are good deals and there are bad deals. The Marlins deal was atrocious because ownership was shady, the Marlins aren't even that popular (so they didn't have leverage), and the municipalities still were on hold for the vast majority of the bill. Not to mention all the other parts of the deal that were atrocious, like the interest free loan given to the Marlins to help them pay their small share, practically none of the revenue from the stadium, fees that the City must pay as part of the deal, and more. That deal is what they teach and will forever teach as a bad public-private partnership.

I did not say the Flames deal was fair because it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It's fair because it's a fair deal. The comparison was to illustrate that there is a line between a good deal and a bad one. And the Flames deal is nothing like the Marlins deal so the comparison isn't being made in that respect.

No, you have not made it explicitly clear there are "good deals" and "bad deals" because you can't define what a "good deal" and "bad deal" are. You literally just said "[The Flames deal is] fair because it's a fair deal." Clear as mud!

5. We should all be glad you're not a politician making these decisions. The Flames make the city better, and they make the city a more desirable place to live. They are as much a public asset as a museum, concert venue, or public parks.

No they're not. Public parks and many museums I can enjoy for free. There's a colossal difference between a venue where professional athletes each making an average of over $2M (USD) per annum play hockey for a team owned by multi-billionaires, and something like the Jack Singer Concert Hall where the entire Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra's annual budget is less than what Johnny Gaudreau makes.

(By the way the Philharmonic had their grant money cut as part of the $60M cuts announced concurrently with the arena deal.)

6. Almost every single one of those cities you mentioned had their arena built a long time ago, when costs were significantly less, and arenas weren't being used an anchor projects for redevelopment. Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Denver, Washington and Columbus were all built in the mid-1990s to 1999-2000 for costs significantly less than what a modern arena would cost today. Vegas is an entirely different situation. For one, Vegas really needed an arena and there was a demand to build one. Two, you had private interests who knew they could make a profit off an arena due to the unique situation in Vegas and so public funding wasn't necessary or even desirable as a means to hedge their bets.

Ah, so not-so-savvy developers of the past could manage to build arenas with private money and make oodles of profit, but the savvy ones today have to make them "anchor projects for redevelopment" and therefore need to be subsidized with public money. Makes sense. </sarcasm>

"Vegas is entirely different situation [because] Vegas really needed an arena and there was a demand to build one." Ah, I see, so because Calgary "really needs an arena" (because it's "oldest in the league"!) and there is a demand (from the Flames, at least) to build one, we need to fund it with public money? Sure seems that by your reasoning "private interests [in Vegas] knew they could make a profit off an arena", conversely an arena in Calgary won't be profitable, so... the taxpayer has to pay for it and soak up the financial losses? If it's a money-loser then why should the City fund it? Going back to your first point: if it's a money-losing proposition how is this not, by definition, enriching owners at taxpayers' expense?

If you look at almost every single recent sports venue development, public money is a given. Sometimes it's in tax breaks, sometimes it's in project money allotted by cities for building things just like sports venues. Every recent CFL stadium in Canada has been built with public funding. Detroit's new arena, which anchors a redevelopment project in the Downtown Core, was built on a broadly similar deal to Calgary's. The stalled negotiations between the NCC in Ottawa and Melnyk were completely predicated on there being some public money, where a deal fell through was Melnyk wanted too much public funding and the municipal government called his bluff. Public involvement is a given, and it makes sense because the city is getting something out of it.

What's the "something" the city gets out of it, besides being stiffed with the bill? (Don't trot out the tired old horse that is "civic pride"...) All you've said here is "other municipalities have paid for sports arenas, so Calgary must too 'cause that's just how it's done." But that's plainly not true, because like I said before there are plenty of privately-funded arenas...

7. Lol, is Atlanta anything like Calgary? Atlanta has a franchise in every other major sports venue and it's a destination hub in the Southern States for business and entertainment. Calgary is none of that. The Flames are one of if not the biggest entertainment ticket in town (the Stampede is a seasonal attraction). Their loss would be a massive blow to the city, not unlike the loss suffered by Winnipeg and Quebec. This has nothing to do with what a professional hockey team specifically brings to the city and everything to do with a city of Calgary's size requiring sufficient big ticket attractions to remain a top city. Why do you think cities invest so much money in festivals, amenities, and public venues? The loss of the Flames is a massive blow to the city, there is no two ways around that.

How can Atlanta manage to be a "destination hub for business and entertainment" if they don't have a precious hockey team? How massive was the blow to Winnipeg and Quebec City when their pro hockey teams left, other than to people who base their civic pride on the performance of a pro hockey team? Did the economy crumble? Were there mass exoduses?

(Hint: no.)

All you've really argued here is "a city of Calgary's size requires 'sufficient big ticket attractions' to remain a 'top city'," which is nothing more than marketing pap.

8. Professional teams absolutely generate wealth and you're incredibly foolish if you think teams will stay just because a city is wealthy. Vancouver was incredibly wealthy and it still lost it's NBA team. Atlanta is incredibly wealthy and it still lost the Thrashers. The relationship between a city and a professional franchise is a symbiotic relationship, where both gain something out of the relationship and both put something in.

You misconstrued what I wrote. I wrote "Pro sports teams do not generate wealth, pro sports teams go to cities where wealth already exists." I did NOT write "teams will stay just because a city is wealthy." Every market has a pool of discretionary income that is spent on entertainment; pro sports teams, or the lack thereof, just shift the monies in this pool around but they neither create nor destroy any money within that pool. The Grizzlies and Thrashers moved because they failed to adequately compete for their requisite share of those pools of discretionary spending. You're really just reinforcing my point: neither city was impacted economically when their pro sports teams left, at all. Neither were Winnipeg or Quebec City. The sky did not fall.

Again, pro sports teams are not net generators of wealth. The only people who get wealthy from pro sports are the owners and the players (and a select few of the front office staff). Read the works of every single economist who has ever studied the matter.

"The relationship between a city and a professional franchise" is better described as parasitic rather than symbiotic. The pro sports team will leech money from the market's pool of discretionary spending: it will not create any new money.

Reactions: DuckyChuck

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Oh yeah? Well I'll start off by saying making stupid, ****ty numbered lists rather than point-by-point responses is worse. If you don't like, tough; deal with it.

They get an arena, theirs to manage free-and-clear, bought and paid for with taxpayer money. If you can't comprehend how this enriches them at the taxpayers' expense I don't know how to make it any clearer to you; maybe a diagram with stick figures carrying little sacks with dollar signs on them would help? Refer to my reply to your sixth point for more info.

So who's building these "other destinations"? What are they? Where are they? How can you say "the situation around the Saddledome [...] is irrelevant"? The new arena will be built literally 400 feet away: it is "the situation around the Saddledome". What is this new arena going to do differently that will make it an "anchor for redevelopment", that the Saddledome did not do?

Oh but they're savvier now! The magic beans of "business savvy" will make it so!

tenor.gif

This is a common trope of people who were suckered into believing the team owners. Which taxes are you talking about? The only taxes the City of Calgary levies are property taxes, which the arena won't be assessed, because the City will own it. So where's all this tax revenue going to come from? Oh right, the "other destinations" that the savvy developers' magic beans will cause to sprout up.

Surrender? Submit? Succumb? Which one would you like me to use? It means to yield to an unwelcome demand from an antagonist. But I guess you don't see the teams as antagonists, so that's why it doesn't make sense to you.

No, you have not made it explicitly clear there are "good deals" and "bad deals" because you can't define what a "good deal" and "bad deal" are. You literally just said "[The Flames deal is] fair because it's a fair deal." Clear as mud!

No they're not. Public parks and many museums I can enjoy for free. There's a colossal difference between a venue where professional athletes each making an average of over $2M (USD) per annum play hockey for a team owned by multi-billionaires, and something like the Jack Singer Concert Hall where the entire Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra's annual budget is less than what Johnny Gaudreau makes.

(By the way the Philharmonic had their grant money cut as part of the $60M cuts announced concurrently with the arena deal.)

Ah, so not-so-savvy developers of the past could manage to build arenas with private money and make oodles of profit, but the savvy ones today have to make them "anchor projects for redevelopment" and therefore need to be subsidized with public money. Makes sense. </sarcasm>

"Vegas is entirely different situation [because] Vegas really needed an arena and there was a demand to build one." Ah, I see, so because Calgary "really needs an arena" (because it's "oldest in the league"!) and there is a demand (from the Flames, at least) to build one, we need to fund it with public money? Sure seems that by your reasoning "private interests [in Vegas] knew they could make a profit off an arena", conversely an arena in Calgary won't be profitable, so... the taxpayer has to pay for it and soak up the financial losses? If it's a money-loser then why should the City fund it? Going back to your first point: if it's a money-losing proposition how is this not, by definition, enriching owners at taxpayers' expense?

What's the "something" the city gets out of it, besides being stiffed with the bill? (Don't trot out the tired old horse that is "civic pride"...) All you've said here is "other municipalities have paid for sports arenas, so Calgary must too 'cause that's just how it's done." But that's plainly not true, because like I said before there are plenty of privately-funded arenas...

How can Atlanta manage to be a "destination hub for business and entertainment" if they don't have a precious hockey team? How massive was the blow to Winnipeg and Quebec City when their pro hockey teams left, other than to people who base their civic pride on the performance of a pro hockey team? Did the economy crumble? Were there mass exoduses?

(Hint: no.)

All you've really argued here is "a city of Calgary's size requires 'sufficient big ticket attractions' to remain a 'top city'," which is nothing more than marketing pap.

You misconstrued what I wrote. I wrote "Pro sports teams do not generate wealth, pro sports teams go to cities where wealth already exists." I did NOT write "teams will stay just because a city is wealthy." Every market has a pool of discretionary income that is spent on entertainment; pro sports teams, or the lack thereof, just shift the monies in this pool around but they neither create nor destroy any money within that pool. The Grizzlies and Thrashers moved because they failed to adequately compete for their requisite share of those pools of discretionary spending. You're really just reinforcing my point: neither city was impacted economically when their pro sports teams left, at all. Neither were Winnipeg or Quebec City. The sky did not fall.

Again, pro sports teams are not net generators of wealth. The only people who get wealthy from pro sports are the owners and the players (and a select few of the front office staff). Read the works of every single economist who has ever studied the matter.

"The relationship between a city and a professional franchise" is better described as parasitic rather than symbiotic. The pro sports team will leech money from the market's pool of discretionary spending: it will not create any new money.

At this point you're just repeating the same garbage tropes you have before and there really is no point in me addressing it. Paraphrasing what I said, despite you having sliced my post up out of context right above, and then taking a very long time to only say "no it's not that way it's the other way!" is not an argument.

If you don't understand what value a sports franchise (and venue by extension) has for the city and general public, what is even the point of continuing? I'll pick out one ludicrous quote to demonstrate this:

The pro sports team will leech money from the market's pool of discretionary spending: it will not create any new money.

I actually spit out my coffee reading this. In what world does a sports team "leach" out discretionary spending? Of course this seems predicated on your idea that sports teams have no value to cities, which is of course, a false premise. But even so this seems particularly absurd. If discretionary income spent at sports venues (tickets, merchandise, food and drink, etc.) is "leeching" money from the pool, what form of discretionary income isn't? Money spent for discretionary purposes would almost always "leech" by extension, because most businesses that we spend money at are not locally owned. These businesses are chain restaurants, clothing stores owned by multinational conglomerates, digital purchases, online stores, and other forms of spending not closely related to local industry.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no leeching and 10 being Dracula-levels of sucking blood, where do the Flames fall? They're far more local than Amazon. Hell, they're even more local than Canadian resturant chains that are run by a conglomerate and headquarted out of province. The Flames employ more people then those other destinations for your disposable income. And those jobs are certainly for the most part higher paying. They pay more taxes too, and they invest millions in community engagement. If you're forced to put them "low" on the list (and let's be real if you were being honest you would have to), the fact you're still using terms like "leech" makes it abudantly clear to me you're not interested in having a legitimate discussion about the benefits and costs of public involvement in professional sports.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Likewise you keep trotting out the same tired pro-arena tropes, with absolutely no basis in reality. It's wishful thinking, nothing more.

With respect to discretionary spending,

Money spent for discretionary purposes would almost always "leech"

YES! Finally you're starting to get it. Think of any given city's collective pool of discretionary spending as a pie. The citizenry will cut that pie into slices and apportion it to different 'entertainment' vendors. A pro sports team is just one of many entertainment vendors, and whether a city has one or not it does not change the size of the pie! When the Thrashers left Atlanta the pie didn't get any smaller, when the Knights began playing in Vegas it didn't make the pie any bigger. A pro hockey team does not create discretionary income, and by its absence does not destroy it, it's just somewhere for people to spend their money.

[It's] abundantly clear to me you're not interested in having a legitimate discussion about the benefits and costs of public involvement in professional sports.

We can't have a legitimate discussion about it because you blindly believe there are more benefits than exist in reality, and you're either incapable of or simply unwilling to acknowledge the costs.

It's like arguing religion: you're the faithful who believes in God, and I'm the skeptic who keeps saying "there is no God". You'll never believe me because your faith is unshakeable, and I'll never believe you because there's no evidence it's true.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
According to the CMLC, overruns are to be split between the city and Flames 50-50 unless there is a specific request made by one party.

Cost overruns on arena project would be shared, CMLC says

They mention a part that could be dropped if costs run high is the 5-3K community rink. If this rink is open for city use 20 days of the year, what other function will it serve? Flames practice facility?

50/50 cost overrun doesn't apply to the Saddledome demolition since it was never an even split in the first place.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Debate on the arena plan to start in under an hour. A vote on the arena plan is scheduled to proceed afterwards.

City manager at the request of 2 councilors sent a letter to CSEC for an extension until September.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-arena-poll-thinkhq-time-1.5228921

Expected response to it should be right before the meeting. Considering council had this motion, failed and the 2 councilors who endorsed this those who voted for delay last week, I think CSEC will find a diplomatic way to have the vote move forward as planned.

With this debate going on for years and this agreement being 14 months in the works, I don't see how extending the public comments period will be helpful. Those who like the deal like it, those who don't, don't like it. The rest don't care much either way. Hence how this thread has slowed to a crawl with the vote on the horizon

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No extension for public consultations granted

Good. It's time to get on with this.

3 possible results. Yes, No or Deferred.

Link to meeting

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I can only hope that this new arena brings half as much entertainment value as the Farkas-Gondek rivalry does. That is like watching a train wreck that never stops happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad