NHL UPDATE 10/6 - Erik Karlsson and Wife Melinda Welcome Daughter After Losing Stillborn Son Last Year

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
OTTAWA — The Ottawa Senators say the son of captain Erik Karlsson has died.
"The collective thoughts and prayers of the Ottawa Senators organization, the city of Ottawa and entire hockey community rest with Erik and Melinda Karlsson following the loss of their son," the team said in a release.
"We ask that you respect the family's wishes for privacy during the grieving process."
The couple announced in November that they were expecting their first child.
The Senators had said earlier that Karlsson would not play in Tuesday's game against the visiting Florida Panthers.

thoughts and prayers go out to the Karsson family.

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
Thoughts and Prayers for the Karlsson family. I cannot even begin to fathom the grief.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Karlsson has released a statement on the matter through his Twitter feed:

"At this extremely difficult time it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but we know one day we'll get there. We would like to thank everyone for the love and support we have received and also for respecting our privacy and the process that we need to go through. We feel very lucky to be Axel's parents. Even though he was stillborn, we know we will hold him again one day under different circumstances and the joy he gave us will be with us forever."

I should note, too, that the Sens' Twitter feed(which has the official statement from the team)got a LOT of response; Tampa Bay's and Montreal's Twitter accounts sent along messages of support as did CM Punk(former pro wrestler and noted Chicago Blackhawks fan).

Last edited by a moderator:

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Condolences to him and his wife. Truly awful. Worst thing in the world.

OneStepCloser

Feb 17, 2009
Boston
I remember watching the video of his "gender reveal" slapshot last year and how excited he was. This is just heartbreaking, my condolences to the Karlsson family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad