Salary Cap: Upcoming Free Agency 2014

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Markov is not going anywhere, he better not.

It really all depends on his performance this yr and his salary and term demands. If he's asking for anything over 3.5M$, I would say good-bye. Also, I would sign him to 1 yr deals from this point on. He's already handicapped us enough in the past with his injuries. In a sense, he owes the Habs.

hogtownhabsfan*

Yeah dude, that's what average teams do...

We NEED to start developing real firepower lines, and Bournival is not a solution for that.

This is for next year! How are we supposed to develop "real firepower lines" between now and then?

I was just putting together the baseline of what we already have. I'd love to add to it.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The only Habs UFA's I'd keep are Emelin and maybe Murray and Parros, depending on how well they fit the team and how they play. I'd send Gionta and Markov out at trade deadline regardless where we are in the standings.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The only Habs UFA's I'd keep are Emelin and maybe Murray and Parros, depending on how well they fit the team and how they play. I'd send Gionta and Markov out at trade deadline regardless where we are in the standings.

Why would you do that?
We're not in a tanking position. We don't need to completely revamp our team, and we shouldn't sell Vets just to stock up on draft picks.
We're more in a buying position.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Why would you do that?
We're not in a tanking position. We don't need to completely revamp our team, and we shouldn't sell Vets just to stock up on draft picks.
We're more in a buying position.

Just because I feel we're emerging from the dark tunnels of the rebuilding years and can further accentuate that by moving aging vets that can be replaced by some of the kids we have coming up and add picks or prospects to the farm. I wouldn't be surprised to see both let go in July anyway, so may as well get something back for them when they are at their premium. I suppose you could say I expect the boys to have a decent regular season and a terrible post-season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's amazing how fast things change. Two years ago everybody was against trading Markov. Now, it seems like majority want him gone for whatever we can get.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just because I feel we're emerging from the dark tunnels of the rebuilding years and can further accentuate that by moving aging vets that can be replaced by some of the kids we have coming up and add picks or prospects to the farm. I wouldn't be surprised to see both let go in July anyway, so may as well get something back for them when they are at their premium. I suppose you could say I expect the boys to have a decent regular season and a terrible post-season.

Who are these prospects that are ready to replace Gionta and Markov?
Beaulieu isn't a replacement for him. If he ends up being one, then fine, but it won't be in his rookie year. He's more suited to be a Diaz replacement/improvement, not a Markov one.

Same for Gionta, who's good to replace him? Bournival? Leblanc? No, I don't think they can fill his shoes. Gionta is arguably our most underrated forward. People just see him take shots from the outside and lack creativity so they crap on him. But he's Plekanec's winger, they face the toughest opponents and situations. None of our kids are ready for that.

Ridding ourselves of Gionta and Markov at the deadline would definitely make us worse on the ice. We would also lose two valuable and respected veterans, that can teach a lot to the kids. I want us to re-sign Markov if he remains healthy through the year. He remains a very important part of our team.
I also wouldn't mind re-sign Gionta if it was to drop down to a 3rd line role.

I would be very surprised to see both let go this summer.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's amazing how fast things change. Two years ago everybody was against trading Markov. Now, it seems like majority want him gone for whatever we can get.

It's not really surprising. During his prime, there was actually a poll created that determined who was better Markov or Komisarek.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Beaulieu isn't a replacement for him. If he ends up being one, then fine, but it won't be in his rookie year. He's more suited to be a Diaz replacement/improvement, not a Markov one.

Same for Gionta, who's good to replace him? Bournival? Leblanc? No, I don't think they can fill his shoes. Gionta is arguably our most underrated forward. People just see him take shots from the outside and lack creativity so they crap on him. But he's Plekanec's winger, they face the toughest opponents and situations. None of our kids are ready for that.

Ridding ourselves of Gionta and Markov at the deadline would definitely make us worse on the ice. We would also lose two valuable and respected veterans, that can teach a lot to the kids. I want us to re-sign Markov if he remains healthy through the year. He remains a very important part of our team.

I think I'd like to see Gionta, Diaz, Bouillon, Murray, Parros, and Desharnais either left unsigned or traded at the deadline.

What do we do with Leblanc, Bournival, Thomas, Beaulieu, Nygren, Pateryn, and Tinordi?

Of these 7 players, I'm guessing only Beaulieu really benefitting from another year in Hamilton.

So.... Do we trade them? Do we let them stagnate in the minors? These guys need to be given a chance to play.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Thomas
Leblanc-Galchenyuk-Briere
Moen-Bournival-Prust
(Dumont)

-Desharnais/Gionta + Leblanc/Thomas

All of these forward lines are comparable to this year's forward lines. They are all well-balanced and putting players in positions to succeed. We have no real issue with injuries as both Moen and Prust are very capable of stepping up onto the 3rd line and Galchenyuk and Briere can move up to any position in the top-6. Each of our rookies called up could be horrible and we'd still be icing very competitive lines. As is common, we lack 4th liners playing in grinders roles.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Nygren
(Pateryn-Drewiskie-Beaulieu)

-Bouillon/Murray/Diaz + Tinordi/Pateryn/Nygren

These defensive pairings are going to be easily comparable to this years' pairings. The only difference would be Emelin back from injury and Nygren instead of Diaz/Bouillon.

This is a good situation to be in and I don't think we're taking a step back. We still have unbelievable organizational depth. Bergevin is all about giving the young guys a chance, I think we'll see that next year.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011

But in the real world, GM's don't gut their team when they're having a decent team in the expectation that they will start sucking soon anyway. Partly because life can't be calculated so finely (plenty of Bruins fans wanted Julian fired late in the regular season and into the second round of the playoffs in their cup winning year) and partly because of the message that that sends to the rest of the squad.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

AH HA! You slipped up. You said that nobody could replace Gionta on Pleks' line YET you want him back to play on the 3rd line.

We already have Galchenyuk and Gallagher on the 3rd line. If Gionta goes down then one of them goes up but you say they can't do that because they're not ready.

I'd just about guarantee that MB would be able to play on the 3rd line.

THAT'S IT! I won the Gionta debate against you! Man it feels good. Case closed!

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
It really all depends on his performance this yr and his salary and term demands. If he's asking for anything over 3.5M$, I would say good-bye. Also, I would sign him to 1 yr deals from this point on. He's already handicapped us enough in the past with his injuries. In a sense, he owes the Habs.

Markov is too intelligent and too hardworking to fall off as badly/quickly as some expect him to be. He is still very capable of being a good number 2 defensemen for this team. Sure his skating isn't as good as it used to be, although it isnt anywhere near as bad as some pretend it is.

Nevertheless, his game always relied on mostly his skating and smarts. So I think that Markov could still be a good number 2 defensemen for another two years.

Last year was a successful year for Markov, he was simply too overplayed. Until Beaulieu or maybe Diaz prove that they can adequetely replace Markov, I don't want Markov off this team. He is not a liability.

Subban, Markov, Tinordi, Emelin, Gorges, Beaulieu, looks pretty good to me next year.

Also, PK HAS to get more ice-time than he does, he can handle atleast 25 minutes a night.

Last edited:

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere

Bourque - Plekanec - Hemsky

Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Moen - Bournival - Parros

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Girardi

Tinordi - Diaz

HabsHockey*

We really don't need Diaz. If Markov takes a salary cut and we reduce his ice time then keep him. Georges, Subban, Markov, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Emelin and pick up a big shutdown D. We don't need another offensive defenseman with the pool we have now.

Problem is we're stuck with guys like Briere, Plecks, Moen, Desharnais, Bourque. Also, don't resign Gionta.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
We need some addition by subtraction.

Let Gionta walk.
Let Boullion walk.
Trade/move DD to wing.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
DD-Galchenyuk-Prust
Moen-Bournival-Parros
White

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Gorges-Beaulieu
Diaz-Murray?

Maybe add a big winger to the top 9 if we can. Basically we need to decongest the C logjam and lose at least two smurfs in Gionta and cube.

King Niinimaa*

No need to peek into the mirrorball, here's The Truth.

Buffalo is such a mess and Vanek's contract year will produce slightly disappointing 65 points. That doesn't matter though and he's new caphit will be 7,75 million.

Markov will sign to Philly for 13,65 mill / 3 years.

Isn't it a shame that Bergevin is such an idiot, because he will resign Gionta with 3,5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad