Salary Cap: Upcoming Free Agency 2014

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
instead of giving PK 4 yrs or 5 yrs, give him 8 yrs at $5.5 million. Longer deals cheaper cap.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
we should invest in top 6 players, not guys like Bourque and Desharnais and Briere is no longer a top 6 forward. If we want Galchenyuk and Gallagher to properly develop into stars, then we need stars to guide them like what Sakic and Forsberg did.

What top 6 guys do you suggest the Habs "invest" in?

If you saw the UFA market this summer it was pretty bare and even fringe top 6 guys got huge money(Clarkson and Clowe).

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Habs opted to play hardball with PK last season, now they will have to pay up.
How much PK gets will really depend on how much he wants. He's earned it.
If they play hardball again, he will go to arbitration where he will be given every dime he wants (maybe even more).

You really need to get over this , im sorry. You make it sound like they intentionally wanted to upset him which is NOT what happened.

edit : also, target vanek, bigtime, arent they shopping him too?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
Bourque-Eller-Gallagher
Leblanc-Galchenyuk-Thomas
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Tinordi-Nygren/Markov
(Drewiskie)

Might be a step back from this year but I think this team would do quite well moving forward. We have SO MANY pro-ready prospects and players ready to step up into bigger roles, we either need to move them or make room for them as there's no sense losing them on waivers (i.e. Leblanc)or having them stagnate (i.e. Galchenyuk at C). I'm really hoping Markov, Gionta, and our other veterans on expiring contracts are moved at the deadline, that would be a huge building block for our future team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You really need to get over this , im sorry. You make it sound like they intentionally wanted to upset him which is NOT what happened.

edit : also, target vanek, bigtime, arent they shopping him too?

I am over it, what's done is done, but it's relevant to bring up when someone is discussing a PK contract and arguing they should squeeze pennies out of him again.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Habs opted to play hardball with PK last season, now they will have to pay up.
How much PK gets will really depend on how much he wants. He's earned it.
If they play hardball again, he will go to arbitration where he will be given every dime he wants (maybe even more).
I think you're mising an important point. Bergevin played hardball because he wanted to prod Subban into earning his contract demands and Subban came through.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you're mising an important point. Bergevin played hardball because he wanted to prod Subban into earning his contract demands and Subban came through.

Sure, if Subban was asking 7M that makes sense. I doubt he was though, I don't see how you can go from asking 7M and then settling for 2.8M.
PK was already well worth over what he signed for. But let's not get back into this.
What's done is done. We'll see how much he gets moving forward.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I'd like to grab Brian Boyle, our Brandon Prusts good buddy from New York. Could give him something similar to what Prust got. I'd go with 4 years / 9 $M.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The UFA market will suck balls as usual. With the cap going up, teams will be able to retain their players.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bournival
Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Prust-White-Parros

Tinordi-Subban (Tinordi's green, but I think he'll be ready for the test and will benefit from playing with PK)
Beaulieu-Emelin (these two should compliment each other well)
Gorges-RHD-PP (One can assume one of Diaz/Nygren/Pateryn/Ellis/Thrower/etc will be ready)

Price
Budaj

Bournival on the 1st line? :laugh:

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
Subban signing for a cap hit of 6.5 million isn't nearly as far fetched as people think. Pietrangelo signed his deal this year for a annual 6.5 million cap hit. Subban and Pietrangelo are on the same level IMO. They should get similar contracts all things considered.

Are you serious? 2 words: Norris Trophy.
If Pietrangelo is making 6.5 mill a season without proving himself in the league, let alone even winning a Norris then you can damn well count on Subban getting more than that. His agent will likely use Pietrangelo as an example of how much non Norris trophy winners are getting. If you think they're in the same boat then you're in for a harsh reality slap.

onemorecup*

Defense: UFA
Diaz
Murray
Markov
Emelin
Boullion
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of the following, I like to bring back Emelin pending on his health.
That means we only have Subban, Gorges, Emelin as regulars. We need to build a tougher defense group. Add Dan Girardi, Dennis Seidenberg and bring up Jarrod Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, we should have a solid group of veteran and youth.

Subban(6.5mil)-Gorges(3.9mil)
Seidenberg(4.5mil)-Girardi(5mil)
Tinordi(1.08mil)-Emelin(3mil)
Beaulieu(1.2mil)

$25.18 million invested on defense

On forward: UFA
Gionta
Parros

I don't see us bringing Gionta back next year and Parros is a dime a dozen. I like to target Tomas Vanek. Vanek is like Hossa in Chicago. He will probably cost us $7 mil. Finally give Plekanec a real first line player to play with. I like to us to add some size but we are stuck with Briere and Desharnais.

Bourque(3.3mil)-Plekanec(5mil)-Vanek(7mil)
Pacioretty(4.5mil)-Desharnais(3.5mil)-Briere(4mil)
Galchenyuk(3.2mil)-Eller(3mil)-Gallagher(870k)
Prust(2.5mil)-Bournival(870k)-Moen(1.5mil)
White(700k)

$39.94 million invested on forwards

Price(6.5mil)
Budaj(1.4mil)

$7.9 mil in goal.

$7.9+39.94+25.18=73 mil cap (assuming that the cap will be $74 mil)

bang on for Subban, Gorges, Emelin as regulars and the rest are gone

onemorecup*

Are you serious? 2 words: Norris Trophy.
If Pietrangelo is making 6.5 mill a season without proving himself in the league, let alone even winning a Norris then you can damn well count on Subban getting more than that. His agent will likely use Pietrangelo as an example of how much non Norris trophy winners are getting. If you think they're in the same boat then you're in for a harsh reality slap.

who Pietro is very close to PK , dude can flat out play and is better poised in his own zone than PK

onemorecup*

What top 6 guys do you suggest the Habs "invest" in?

If you saw the UFA market this summer it was pretty bare and even fringe top 6 guys got huge money(Clarkson and Clowe).

agreed free agency is where teams get screwed

stay the course with our kids

clowe 4.5 I nearly crapped my pants :laugh::laugh:

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Subban signing for a cap hit of 6.5 million isn't nearly as far fetched as people think. Pietrangelo signed his deal this year for a annual 6.5 million cap hit. Subban and Pietrangelo are on the same level IMO. They should get similar contracts all things considered.

I personally think Subbans cap hit is around 7 million but I wouldn't be surprised if its less.

$6.5M cap hit would be miraculous. More likely start the bidding at the $7.25M Letang just got. I'd guess 8/60 or 8/62 (though I'll confess the 8 part is wishcasting).

hogtownhabsfan*

Bournival on the 1st line? :laugh:

You put way too much value into "first line". Guys like Prust, Moen, and even Latque have seen "first line" time for this franchise in recent years.

We've been rolling three 2way lines for years anyway, not much difference between 1st line and 3rd line for this team for years.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
You put way too much value into "first line". Guys like Prust, Moen, and even Latque have seen "first line" time for this franchise in recent years.

We've been rolling three 2way lines for years anyway, not much difference between 1st line and 3rd line for this team for years.

Yeah dude, that's what average teams do...

We NEED to start developing real firepower lines, and Bournival is not a solution for that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Defense: UFA
Diaz
Murray
Markov
Emelin
Boullion
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of the following, I like to bring back Emelin pending on his health.
That means we only have Subban, Gorges, Emelin as regulars. We need to build a tougher defense group. Add Dan Girardi, Dennis Seidenberg and bring up Jarrod Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, we should have a solid group of veteran and youth.

Subban(6.5mil)-Gorges(3.9mil)
Seidenberg(4.5mil)-Girardi(5mil)
Tinordi(1.08mil)-Emelin(3mil)
Beaulieu(1.2mil)

$25.18 million invested on defense

On forward: UFA
Gionta
Parros

I don't see us bringing Gionta back next year and Parros is a dime a dozen. I like to target Tomas Vanek. Vanek is like Hossa in Chicago. He will probably cost us $7 mil. Finally give Plekanec a real first line player to play with. I like to us to add some size but we are stuck with Briere and Desharnais.

Bourque(3.3mil)-Plekanec(5mil)-Vanek(7mil)
Pacioretty(4.5mil)-Desharnais(3.5mil)-Briere(4mil)
Galchenyuk(3.2mil)-Eller(3mil)-Gallagher(870k)
Prust(2.5mil)-Bournival(870k)-Moen(1.5mil)
White(700k)

$39.94 million invested on forwards

Price(6.5mil)
Budaj(1.4mil)

$7.9 mil in goal.

$7.9+39.94+25.18=73 mil cap (assuming that the cap will be $74 mil)

Too early yet to decide. I've learned from other years lot can change in a few months. ie. Cole a year ago.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I think you're missing an important point. Bergevin played hardball because he wanted to prod Subban into earning his contract demands and Subban came through.

Always like reading your posts (btw), but...gotta disagree with you on your above post. Or actually I agree with you writing that Bergevin did want to see if Subban could earn his contract...but he still lost 'cause now he has to overpay in a huge way.

Imo, Bergevin had no idea Subban would come close to winning the Norris and gambled...lowballing PK Subban...imo. I don't like the lowballing part since Subban is the best player I've seen wear the Habs' jersey since Patrick Roy...imo.

Bergevin LOST and he lost BIG TIME.
Now he has to pay up, UNLESS...the unpredictable happens this season to PK Subban. I predict a great season as usual for PK.
(*knock on wood*).

Go Subban Go!!

For the record I was one of those Hab fans who wrote 7 yrs for 5mil/year (you can look at my old posts...not kidding around;)).

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Always like reading your posts (btw), but...gotta disagree with you on your above post. Or actually I agree with you writing that Bergevin did want to see if Subban could earn his contract...but he still lost 'cause now he has to overpay in a huge way.

Imo, Bergevin had no idea Subban would come close to winning the Norris and gambled...lowballing PK Subban...imo. I don't like the lowballing part since Subban is the best player I've seen wear the Habs' jersey since Patrick Roy...imo.

Bergevin LOST and he lost BIG TIME.
Now he has to pay up, UNLESS...the unpredictable happens this season to PK Subban. I predict a great season as usual for PK.
(*knock on wood*).

Go Subban Go!!

For the record I was one of those Hab fans who wrote 7 yrs for 5mil/year (you can look at my old posts...not kidding around;)).

So you're saying that the GM challenging a player to go out and prove how good he is, followed by the player having a trophy winning season = losing?

In most worlds, when you develop players and they turn out to be really good, that's a positive outcome.

And whether you said 7 years for 5 million/year or not is completely irrelevant as I don't recall ever seeing any evidence that that was a contract Subban would have signed. Do you have any?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->