OT: Uo Alberta golden bears

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ya, its really good hockey. If you can go to a playoff game. Its tons of fun, the place is smaller and is packed with fans. It's pretty intense.

Reactions: Mu774y

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I have only ever seen Golden Bears hockey under the following circumstances:

- good team building activity for young hockey teams
- good drunk times while in University

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Do they sell the jerseys at the game? How much are they?
I bought one at an information/fee payment desk kind of between the rink and the butter dome a couple of years ago. It was summer and no events were going on. I want to say it was around $200.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Great hockey. Great rink.

Its a great product. Also, just so people know, if you hang around a bit at the ticket line students will inevitably come along and ask if you want to buy their ticket for 10bucks instead of paying 20. Students apparently get a free ticket to the games. They usually just want to part with them rather than go.

Clare Drake arena is interesting as the corners tend to be more squared than in most rinks. This seems to suit the bears who love to hem the other teams in their zones and sustain pressure and forecheck. Also contributes to more turnovers and places in corners to really level someone with a hit.

Thing about CIS hockey is you can see the passion. These are students that love the game, just want to get out there and play it and get some of their stress out. So the hockey is pretty up tempo, pretty physical. You just don't see players half assing it out there because they all want to be there. Hockey is the thing, its not about money, contracts, if a player isn't enjoying hockey they aren't there.

No Puljujarvi's ever...

Reactions: Tremor

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Too much other hockey in and around the City for me to follow. Rather spend more time on the Oil Kings and the AJHL teams. At least in those leagues you still have guys with potential at making the NHL.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
Too much other hockey in and around the City for me to follow. Rather spend more time on the Oil Kings and the AJHL teams. At least in those leagues you still have guys with potential at making the NHL.

Cory Cross came out of the Bears system

Reactions: recOILed

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Recent Bear Derek Ryan plays for the Flames and Luke Philp has signed with the Calgary Flames. He was scouted by several NHL clubs including the Oilers. There was a lot of interest and he's considered a plug and play prospect.

Don't underestimate the product and potential. CIS produces physical, smart players, and that transition can fit seamlessly into NHL play and systems.

A player as good as Joel Ward played 4seasons in the CIS

CIS may not be any pipeline anymore but to say theres no potential to make the NHL from there is wrong.

An astute GM might find theres a little more stock coming from the CIS, which grows really good role players mostly. The thing is after CIS is completed, the player is mature, seasoned, you know what you have. its a nothing ventured attempt in the case of undrafted CIS players.

As I mentioned earlier its always the case that you will find a CIS player loves the game, has passion for the game. Not every prospect does.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The Bear hockey is so far superior to AJ & Dub hockey its not even close.
Sure, if you want to watch a guy that may or may not play NHL , fill your boots. But if that your criteria you might as well go watch Bantam AAA somewhere.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sure, if you want to watch a guy that may or may not play NHL , fill your boots. But if that your criteria you might as well go watch Bantam AAA somewhere.
I'm not saying they aren't better players, it's just they are guys that have made their ways through junior and are pretty much moving on in life.

Heck Senior men's hockey is better than the Bears if you are looking for good hockey. Ex-Nhlers and such

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So did Derek Ryan, and Randy Gregg, etc.

I get what you are saying, but VERY few players make it to NHL after playing CIS.

I counted 18 Golden Bears alone that made it to NHL games played since 1970. With the rate increasing in recent years.

While not astounding, that's just the Bears. Theres of course many more ex CIS players that managed to make the NHL.

But CIS players tend to be a different breed. Randy Gregg typifies that. he could have continued to make millions in the NHL, but went into his Pediatrician practice instead which was his dream all along. He just wanted more in life than being a hockey player. His dreams were bigger.

Recently Jordan Hickmott could have played in the NHL, was good enough, was drafted BEFORE playing CIS, but wanted a degree. He had another go at the AHL but gave up quickly to play in Europe. For a lot of guys that have other career ambitions other than hockey it makes much more sense to play in Europe, have great memorable experiences abroad, vs toiling in Peoria in the AHL. For these players, they don't see putting in several years trying to get into the NHL, so they don't. They go to Europe for quality lifestyle before settling into the career they aspire to.

When you listen to CIS players many of them want to play in Europe for awhile as a well paid life experience. Kind of a backpacking Europe thing except good pay, and for longer than a year. They often settle in there for half a dozen years, then call it a day well before they hit 30 and go onto their career.

If more CIS players had the NHL fever more would get in. But so many, given the choice between AHL, and ECHL and Europe, pick Europe.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019

Bantam AAA is horrible unless you know the kids playing.

The only exception to this is watching first year star players coming up from PeeWee and going straight to Bantam AAA.

Too many players going to the academies. Bantam AAA is not what it used to be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. Thing is CIS hockey is well coached, well played, by players that comprehend, and adhere to systems, and with some of the best coaches, historically, in the hockey world.

Being a purist myself and liking to see solidly played hockey CIS appeals to me. Also that its physical and action packed. The players care a lot, and the games are infrequent enough that every game is passionate. Its not like AHL or Junior or NHL when players are just getting through the schedule. Limited games means all the games are good.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Bantam AAA is horrible unless you know the kids playing.

The only exception to this is watching first year star players coming up from PeeWee and going straight to Bantam AAA.

Too many players going to the academies. Bantam AAA is not what it used to be.
Agreed with this. And academy's have screwed things up. Half the kids on academy teams couldn't play in AAA in the old days. Only reason they are playing AAA is because their parents have the $$ to pay 25k a year. Absolutely ridiculous. And there is no parity at all in that ridiculous Academy league.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I'm not saying they aren't better players, it's just they are guys that have made their ways through junior and are pretty much moving on in life.

Heck Senior men's hockey is better than the Bears if you are looking for good hockey. Ex-Nhlers and such
This is ridiculous. The Bears would wipe the floor with the best Senior Teams. I dunno I have ever read a more uninformed post comparing quality/levels of hockey

Reactions: TB12

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
This is ridiculous. The Bears would wipe the floor with the best Senior Teams. I dunno I have ever read a more uninformed post comparing quality/levels of hockey

Look at the 2005s for example. 3 of the top 15 or so 2020 WHL bantam draft prospects are from Edmonton. All are in the academies (NAX).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wasn't sure if this thread was about Golden Bears football, since it just started or perhaps all things Golden Bears.

At any rate, I wonder if this is the make or break year for Chris Morris? His teams have been unbelievably bad since he's been there, despite the crowing of great recruiting, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad