TV: Untold: The Girlfriend Who Didn't Exist (Netflix Docu-series)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just watched this 2-part Netflix documentary and it was absolutely nuts! It follows the Manti Te'o girlfriend debacle in detail and reveals just how complex the situation really was.

If you're unaware of the story, Te'o was a massively successful and popular college football player who got embroiled in, what was ultimately the first instance of catfishing most people had ever heard of, and I'm not sure the word 'catfishing' was even a thing back then. The story was developing day after day with many people shifting from feeling bad for him, accusing him of lying, making fun of him, and everything in between.

There are more sports topics that the Untold series covers, including Tim Donaghy (NBA ref who gambled on games he officiated), the NJ hockey team which was bought by a mafioso and run like a slaughterhouse, Malice at the Palace, and other interesting sports media stories. Can't wait to see more.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I saw this mini series documentary and it was pretty bananas.

The voice thing was bizarre though.

Teo has a beautiful wife now and they just had a baby… so hopefully he can find some happiness.

You could tell with his parting words that it all still haunts him with the invisible g/f gifs and other stupidity he has to endure.

I wonder if he had answered the phone that day Deadspin had called if it would have changed anything.

I suspect no and that they just wanted their story out there and the credit for it - as both reporters kept alluding to someone else beating them to it.

Guess they don’t feel guilty - but ultimately all their story did was almost ruin what seems like a good guy.

Nothing positive came from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad