Value of: Unsigned Mark Stone to Flames at TDL

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Now it doesn't take a genius to know the Senators are in full scale rebuild, so I would assume other assets would likely be traded at some point. I know some see Stone as unmovable now, but there's still a cheap bastard in Ottawa who is just crazy. So what would Ottawa want for Stone assuming he doesn't want to resign by the trade deadline? I'd do something like:

Bennett
2019 1st
2020 2nd
Kylington

Keep in mind the Flame's carry the risk of him walking, so I think its a decent start (though explain what else the flame's could offer otherwise). I could see it as a good fit with Mark's brother in Calgary (I'd think he would resign), but I digress.

Edit: Lots of people thinking a conditional 1st would do it (him re-signing)... wow.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Now it doesn't take a genius to know the Senators are in full scale rebuild, so I would assume other assets would likely be traded at some point. I know some see Stone as unmovable now, but there's still a cheap bastard in Ottawa who is just crazy. So what would Ottawa want for Stone assuming he doesn't want to resign by the trade deadline? I'd do something like:

Bennett
2019 1st
2020 2nd
Kylington

Keep in mind the Flame's carry the risk of him walking, so I think its a decent start (though explain what else the flame's could offer otherwise). I could see it as a good fit with Mark's brother in Calgary, but I digress.

So unrealistic. Send them a signed Jarome Iginla jersey (which you can immediately buy back on E-bay) and he's yours.

It's a rebuild, after all.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So unrealistic. Send them a signed Jarome Iginla jersey (which you can immediately buy back on E-bay) and he's yours. It's a rebuild, after all.

Then please start listing values here. Its at the TDL and the 1st wouldn't be conditional. He's not gonna get a lot of value as a rental.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Then please start listing values here. Its at the TDL and the 1st wouldn't be conditional. He's not gonna get a lot of value as a rental.

Well. Send them a Craig Conroy jersey and they'll probably throw in Duchene.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Lets not beat Ottawa down too much here. Seriously, those guys have dealt with enough ****. I could see the 1st being conditional on him re-signing, but I doubt Ottawa accepts that.
Take out the 2nd and make it a conditional 1st if he signs in Calgary.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Did you not just see what a full year of EK cost? Flames are giving up a lot here

Lol seriously. I thought this was pretty reasonable if not a bit too little in return. Guess that Karlsson trade has really made Dorion look like a fool.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
This is almost as much as what SJ gave up for Karlsson lol, I think the flames are overpaying. I know people are joking around about value, but you could probably make the 1st conditional or something, this seems like a lot.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
That’s quite a bit for the Flames to give up for 20 NHL regular season games of Mark Stone. I wouldn’t do it if I were the Flames.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I doubt you'll get Ottawa fans weighing in until 2022 or something, when they end their boycott.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Melnyk's/Dorion's incompetence notwithstanding, this is an absurd overpayment for what amounts to essentially a 2 month rental. This is just terrible for the Flames.

Longterm, the Flames don't really have the cap space to sign Stone for the 8M or so it'll take. You'd have to lose the other Stone, Frolik and maybe another player like Ryan. And then add the pieces you traded to acquire him and it's not worth it. You're losing too much depth. Better to just sign him as a free agent if Treliving can free up space by trading Frolik, Stone and other pieces for picks or prospects.

A more realistic and reasonable deal, again, ignoring the current GM's ineptitude, is something like a high pick, decent roster player with upside and a decent prospect with upside. That's the standard for a UFA rentals. So like say a 2019 first, Mangiapane and Kulak/Czarnik.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

Bennett
2019 1st
2020 2nd
Kylington

Keep in mind the Flame's carry the risk of him walking, so I think its a decent start (though explain what else the flame's could offer otherwise). I could see it as a good fit with Mark's brother in Calgary (I'd think he would resign), but I digress.

Edit: Lots of people thinking a conditional 1st would do it (him re-signing)... wow.

You should have just given us that for Karlsson

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
CGY has filled a RW requirement this off-season. The only way this sort of works out is if Lindholm and Neal move down a spot. Which isn't the worst thing, but you run into the wonderful problem of having too many skilled RW's that are now getting paid too much. I don't know how you could split this that signing Tkachuk and Stone to massive contracts next year works out.

I love the idea, but it won't happen

Sep 13, 2009
I think Duchene would make more sense for the Flames. That'll enable us to drop Backlund down to 3C, where he belongs. Matt Duchene for one of our D prospects not named Valimaki + a conditional draft pick.

Come on Melnyk, you know you want to! ;)

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Think of your worst offer, then halve it. That's what we would take. Oh and pick one of middling prospects and take them too for good measure

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The cost for Calgary to acquire Stone will be a 2019 1st and 2nd plus Bennet.

The price for San Jose to acquire stone will be a 2020 4th, a 2021 7th, the rights to Pat Fallon and a conditional 2022 3rd if Stone signs with them.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Would prefer to actually have a 1st this year. Stone for Kylington maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad