Value of: Unsigned Karlsson + Stone + Duchene

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
dallas has 6 million in cap space, and those 3 players make just under 20 million combined. thats some serious salary you would have to take back..like jason spezza a2 or 3 others.
most contending teams dont have the assets or the cap space to trade for those 3.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It would have to be something like Edmonton, including Lucic + RNH + some very, very good assets (Nurse, JP, Yamamoto, Bouchard, 1sts), and then a whole boatload of conditional assets for re-signing scenarios.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They'd get more trading them separately. It's possible Dorion will have a hard time finding any good trade since at this point vultures are circling.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
You are going to have to give up way too much. You are receiving a 1D, a top line winger who is also solid defensively, and a solid top 6 center. Sure, they are all UFAs after this year, but that would be a hell of an upgrade. Essentially imagine what most TDL deals are for one rental player, add a bit more (players like Karlsson and Stone usually aren't trade at TDL) and then multiple that cost by three. That's a hell of a price to pay even though you are getting solid players. Then factor in cap, and that Ottawa would have to take back some cap dumps in order for this to be plausible since the three cost $20 million, and you are adding even more assets. You may sign all of them again but it will be for the same price or more, and you may not sign any of them again. Huge risk with a lot of assets being shipped out. Not the best idea in my opinion.

TLDR: Not worth it for the receiving team most likely

Reactions: NotNotALeafsFan

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
How about 4 first round picks, literally #1 prospect in the organization, literally #2 prospect in the organization, and a salary that is in its final year?

So from Dallas:

Heisakenen
Honka
1st - 2020
1st - 2021
1st - 2022
1st - 2023
Spezza
Methot
Hanzal

Rough breakdown:

Karlsson for Heisakenen

Stone for 2 1sts + Honka

Duchene for 2 1sts

Then a bunch of dead, but expiring salary.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
How about 4 first round picks, literally #1 prospect in the organization, literally #2 prospect in the organization, and a salary that is in its final year?

So from Dallas:

Heisakenen
Honka
1st - 2020
1st - 2021
1st - 2022
1st - 2023
Spezza
Methot
Hanzal

Rough breakdown:

Karlsson for Heisakenen

Stone for 2 1sts + Honka

Duchene for 2 1sts

Hell no.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Just as a fun experiment, I wonder what a team would pay for all three of them at the trade deadline at 50%. If you were a good team, you would essentially be manufacturing a cup so I expect the cost to be huge

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX

So from Dallas:

Heisakenen
Honka
1st - 2020
1st - 2021
1st - 2022
1st - 2023
Spezza
Methot
Hanzal

Rough breakdown:

Karlsson for Heisakenen

Stone for 2 1sts + Honka

Duchene for 2 1sts

Our manager isn’t Pierre Dorion.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Rough breakdown:

Stone for 2 1sts + Honka

Duchene for 2 1sts

In what world do you think you're getting either of those packages for unsigned players.

... I wouldn't give up two 1sts for Duchene signed, for that matter.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I would think Buffalo would like to have talks around Stone. The return would fluctuate depending if Buffalo can get an extention agreed too.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

So from Dallas:

Heisakenen
Honka
1st - 2020
1st - 2021
1st - 2022
1st - 2023
Spezza
Methot
Hanzal

Rough breakdown:

Karlsson for Heisakenen

Stone for 2 1sts + Honka

Duchene for 2 1sts

No teams giving up 4 1st for a couple of UFA's.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
In what world do you think you're getting either of those packages for unsigned players.

... I wouldn't give up two 1sts for Duchene signed, for that matter.

Are we just going to ignore the plethora of TDL deals that support my valuation?

Hanzal, Ott, Tatar, McDonagh, Kane

Those names took me literally 10 seconds to think and type out. If I spent 5 minutes I could make a laundry list of such valuations.

I think you're the one living in another world my man.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There isn't a team in the league that would be able to afford all 3 of them in one deal. You're looking at roughly 7 1st round picks (or pieces of equivalent value).

It's a fun summer thread idea (well not for Sens fans, but I digress) but something that would never happen in a million years.

Reactions: Kyle003p

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Are we just going to ignore the plethora of TDL deals that support my valuation?

Hanzal, Ott, Tatar, McDonagh, Kane

Those names took me literally 10 seconds to think and type out. If I spent 5 minutes I could make a laundry list of such valuations.

I think you're the one living in another world my man.

McDonagh is a top pairing D. Not really comparable. Even then, they had to downgrade JT Miller to Namestnikov, and it only got them ONE 1st, and a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if Tampa wins the Cup.

Tatar had term and was considered a bad overpayment even with that. Kane got a 2nd and a 3rd, with the second only becoming a 1st after he got re-signed. You made no note of conditions to your 1sts. Hanzal is the only example even close.

As for Ott... You talking about Steve Ott? You talking about the trade where he was packaged with the much more valuable asset, Ryan Miller? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ottawa should sell all 3 separately and begin their rebuild, trying to recoup whatever they can for that botched trade. Suck it up acquire some draft picks and let the lotto balls fall where they will.

With how mismanaged they are right now holding onto all 3 and losing them for nothing seems more likely.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Ottawa should sell all 3 separately and begin their rebuild, trying to recoup whatever they can for that botched trade. Suck it up acquire some draft picks and let the lotto balls fall where they will.

With how mismanaged they are right now holding onto all 3 and losing them for nothing seems more likely.
Colorado owns said lottery ball, so I find it very hard to believe that Ottawa will sell the team in order to tank in a year that they will not reap the rewards from said tanking first hand.

They really should have just given the pick to Colorado this year.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Colorado owns said lottery ball, so I find it very hard to believe that Ottawa will sell the team in order to tank in a year that they will not reap the rewards from said tanking first hand.

They really should have just given the pick to Colorado this year.

Thing is, it would affect the other draft picks they have in the 2nd+ rounds. I guess there's probably not usually a massive value difference between a #32 and #38 pick (though probably varies a lot at each draft), but OTT might think otherwise. Not saying that will be a deciding factor, but perhaps something to take into consideration that the rest of their picks would be lower, and that could affect players they want to grab in later rounds.

Either way, they're screwed out of that 1st rounder, but does it really matter to them if the Avs get a top 2 or 3 pick? Again, something to think about. It may not matter to them for many reasons, including that the Avs play in a different conference.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
McDonagh is a top pairing D. Not really comparable. Even then, they had to downgrade JT Miller to Namestnikov, and it only got them ONE 1st, and a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if Tampa wins the Cup.

Tatar had term and was considered a bad overpayment even with that. Kane got a 2nd and a 3rd, with the second only becoming a 1st after he got re-signed. You made no note of conditions to your 1sts. Hanzal is the only example even close.

As for Ott... You talking about Steve Ott? You talking about the trade where he was packaged with the much more valuable asset, Ryan Miller? :laugh:

You're missing the point entirely. Stone and Duchene are better than any and all of the players I listed and they all received huge bounties at the TDL.

As for Ott, maybe I have my players mixed up, I remember there was an absolute pure grinder/enforcer who was traded for a 1st in the last couple of years, maybe someone can help me here I'm blanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad