Proposal: Unsigned Erik Karlsson to Edmonton

Is this trade fair?

• Total voters

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for the valiant attempt to "show me the bigger picture".

The scenario you are painting as a realistic possibility simply isn't, no matter how badly you want it to be.

You are projecting what you think “should” happen

Sorry mate, just admit there is a risk that if you don’t trade EK, he may leave as a UFA.

That’s all BlueBaron is saying.

Are you saying it’s guaranteed OTT trades him if is he isn’t signed by next deadline?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
It happened earlier in the year with Kyle Turris.

Tyler Seguin's current contract was signed by the Bruins but he was traded before that deal kicked in.

And if we're really digging deep, Alex Burrows was a sign and trade.:damnpc:

A sign and trade, especially with Karlsson, is not a ridiculous proposal.

Those were trade and sign, not quite the same thing as sign and trade.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out. I think OTT fans will be disappointed but I hope for the best for them.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Those were trade and sign, not quite the same thing as sign and trade.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out. I think OTT fans will be disappointed but I hope for the best for them.

People said the same about Duchene and Colorado seems pretty happy with it. All you need is one stupid GM to overpay (there's quite a few in the NHL in addition to Dorion).

Either way, I'm extremely confident in him extending this summer. But all of this Karlsson trade talk is kind of fun as the magnitude of the potential trade is unlike any we've seen in the past 20 or so years.

Reactions: cgf

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
People said the same about Duchene and Colorado seems pretty happy with it. All you need is one stupid GM to overpay (there's quite a few in the NHL in addition to Dorion).

Either way, I'm extremely confident in him extending this summer. But all of this Karlsson trade talk is kind of fun as the magnitude of the potential trade is unlike any we've seen in the past 20 or so years.

MD wasn’t a pending UFA, the risk is not the same.

Until he is signed or dealt, the option he leaves for nothing is still on the table.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
While Karlsson makes us a much better team, we can't afford to make a trade like the OP right now.
We need 2 top 9 RW, 1 2nd line LW, a top 4 RHD and a back-up goalie.
For better or for worse, it sounds like our back-up goalie is coming from the KHL.

This move leaves us in need of 3 top 9 RW. Well, maybe 2 if Yamamoto is ready to produce.

Change Puljujarvi or Klefbom to a conditional 2019 1st (if he resigns) and I'm game.
I'm cool with Sens fans saying that sucks, but Edmonton needs depth if they want to get anywhere.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
MD wasn’t a pending UFA, the risk is not the same.

Until he is signed or dealt, the option he leaves for nothing is still on the table.

ROR was, and we're pretty stoked by that trade to :yo:
Sure except the Oilers don't have the cap space to add Karlsson and wing depth because Chiarelli loves giving players no move clauses.

Avalanche aren't really a good comparison to the Oilers because of the cap.

Well I did say even if it costs them Draisaitl; which would pay for Karlsson on its own

...and in my proposal the Oilers move Sekera or Russell out as well to open up the cap space to sign someone like JVR or Kane.

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
:sensLarsson/Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st, 2019 3rd (NYI)

:edmonton Erik Karlsson

A player does not need to be signed. He just needs to agree to an extension ahead of time. If Karlsson will not agree to an extension he will not return this much

varano

Jun 27, 2013
oh yea? What teams have a player like Draisaitl that they would offer up for Karlsson? Name one that that 99% of the fan base wouldn't just laugh hysterically at
A fanbase that wants to get a top player in the league for picks and garbage.... wow I'm shocked here...

Reactions: branch

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
If you look at your Karlsson proposal and there's a player on that proposal that you don't want to even think about giving up, you might be getting somewhere.

He won't be traded for scraps.

Except for the extremely unlikely scenario in which the Sens GM is a complete loser and buffoon.

Like say... Pierre Dorion.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
People don't understand how hockey works imo.

Unsigned Karlsson means:

"hey Mr Ottawa GM do we have a deal?"

"Yes Sure Mr Edmonton GM"

"Ok cool - let me make a quick phone call to Erik.....Hi Erik we're trading for you, you ok to give us a verbal agreement to resign for 8 years july 1st, to play with McDavid at XXX M$ per year?"

"Hi Mr Edmonton GM Erik here. Yes, sure, deal"

And deal is done.

It doesn't mean you trade and flip a coin hoping to get lucky that the player will sign. It means you talk to the guy first and ensure there's interest/and ability to get a deal done, then you pull the trigger on trade.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
People don't understand how hockey works imo.

Unsigned Karlsson means:

"hey Mr Ottawa GM do we have a deal?"

"Yes Sure Mr Edmonton GM"

"Ok cool - let me make a quick phone call to Erik.....Hi Erik we're trading for you, you ok to give us a verbal agreement to resign for 8 years july 1st, to play with McDavid at XXX M$ per year?"

"Hi Mr Edmonton GM Erik here. Yes, sure, deal"

And deal is done.

It doesn't mean you trade and flip a coin hoping to get lucky that the player will sign. It means you talk to the guy first and ensure there's interest/and ability to get a deal done, then you pull the trigger on trade.

And if player says “no thanks”, we want to test the market.

No trade and OTT loses player for nothing?

Or do they lower their demand so they don’t lose him for nothing?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
And if player says “no thanks”, we want to test the market.

No trade and OTT loses player for nothing?

Or do they lower their demand so they don’t lose him for nothing?

If the player says no the deal doesn't happen.

But no player would just say "no thanks we want to test the market no matter what". Karlsson would say yes to some teams for some deals. It has to be part of the negotiations.

Playing in Edmonton with McDavid? I mean it's a big selling point, maybe Karlsson says yes.
Playing in Tampa on a strong team/fun city? Big selling point, Karlsson maybe says yes
Playing in Arizona in a market/team that's struggling? Maybe Karlsson says no

ie Ottawa has to find the trade partner that's willing to pay Karlsson and for who Karlsson is willing to commit to.

The point is it's going to be part of the negotiations. Both because Ottawa is going to get fair value, and the team that trades for him will want to talk to Karlsson first.

Is it possible Karlsson happens to be the one guy who's going to be totally unreasonable and say "no deal" to everyone and block a trade? Maybe - anything's possible - but i highly doubt it. For the right trade/team he'd give a verbal to commit, so long as his terms are met.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can't be Larsson. And given ages and probable salary (assuming 10+ for Karlsson), I don't think Karlsson has that much more value than Draisaitl. I know Drai has to be part of the deal, but if I'm Edmonton, it needs to have a forward from Ottawa coming back as well. Probably Pageau, or Edmonton adds something else to get Hoffman too. I just don't think Karlsson is worth much more than Draisaitl. Or we could make it Sekera instead of Klefbom, Karlsson for Draisaitl and Sekera might work.

You dont think a signed Karlsson has much more value than Draisaitl?

Hoffman is an elite goal scorer and Pageau is one of the best third line centers in hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Even if Karlsson won't sign in EDM, it's not like they are going to get a discount on him in a trade. They'll have to compete with teams who Karlsson would sign for, so they'd have to offer up the same value.

The offer in the OP is so incredibly light. So the Sens get back a solid #2D in Larsson, or a struggling mid pairing D in Klefbom, a former blue chip prospect whose stock has dropped since being taken high two years ago, and the 9th overall pick for Erik Karlsson?

If Chiarelli gets Karlsson for that package, they should build a statue of him and Lucic hugging in front of the arena.

If the Oilers were trying to get Karlsson for quantity....they'd have to actually offer quantity. Three solid pieces and a 3rd round pick is probably not going to be enough to get Erik Karlsson.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You dont think a signed Karlsson has much more value than Draisaitl?

Hoffman is an elite goal scorer and Pageau is one of the best third line centers in hockey.
Karlsson is coming off of his worst season in years, and will be asking for 10 million+. It's quite possible that his best days are behind him. Draisaitl is one of the best young centres in the game, has put up back to back 70 point seasons and has far more years of prime hockey left in him.

Your "elite" goal scorer has never hit 30 goals in a season in the NHL. He's good, but has gotten quite overrated. Pageau is a good player, that's why I would want him, but he's still a 3rd liner.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson is coming off of his worst season in years, and will be asking for 10 million+. It's quite possible that his best days are behind him. Draisaitl is one of the best young centres in the game, has put up back to back 70 point seasons and has far more years of prime hockey left in him.

Your "elite" goal scorer has never hit 30 goals in a season in the NHL. He's good, but has gotten quite overrated. Pageau is a good player, that's why I would want him, but he's still a 3rd liner.

Meh, Karlsson was great after the new year playing on an awful team. Could it be that he had a surgery that kept him from training for the entire summer?

Karlsson is f***ing 27, people need to stop pretending he's washed up. He was arguably the best player in the league last year, and will be for quite a while more.

Thinking that Draisaitl has more value than a signed Karlsson is lunacy, although im willing to chalk it up to just homerism.

Reactions: bert

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Meh, Karlsson was great after the new year playing on an awful team. Could it be that he had a surgery that kept him from training for the entire summer?

Karlsson is ****ing 27, people need to stop pretending he's washed up. He was arguably the best player in the league last year, and will be for quite a while more.

Thinking that Draisaitl has more value than a signed Karlsson is lunacy, although im willing to chalk it up to just homerism.
Nobody said Draisaitl had more value than Karlsson. I said that I don't think the difference between the two is as great as people are suggesting. 27 isn't washed up - but as I said before, its possibly near the end of his prime. Draisaitl has 10 years of prime hockey left. Karlsson likely will be declining in 5 years max.

People need to stop reading things like "I don't agree with your valuation" as "lol, he sux".

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nobody said Draisaitl had more value than Karlsson. I said that I don't think the difference between the two is as great as people are suggesting. 27 isn't washed up - but as I said before, its possibly near the end of his prime. Draisaitl has 10 years of prime hockey left. Karlsson likely will be declining in 5 years max.

People need to stop reading things like "I don't agree with your valuation" as "lol, he sux".

Tell me a defenceman with the talent/skating/determination of Karlsson who wasn't an elite player until 35 years of age.

Not to mention that most defensmen are entering their primes at the age of 27. So what is this talk about Karlsson being near the end of his prime lol?

at the end of the day karlsson is a 27 year old generational defenceman. his value is waayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than draisaitl lol

Reactions: bert

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers will not be trading Draisaitl any time soon, not sure why anyone thinks there is any chance he gets traded, because he will not be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad