Proposal: Unsigned Erik Karlsson to Edmonton

Is this trade fair?

• Total voters

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If you look at your Karlsson proposal and there's a player on that proposal that you don't want to even think about giving up, you might be getting somewhere.

He won't be traded for scraps.

Reactions: branch

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
yea lets compare trade returns from a player who played like 10 years ago great logic man.

and again, no one is trading for Karlsson without re-signing him on the spot or having an extension in place. so stop it with that UFA nonsense, as if any team is going to give up high end assets for him and then let him walk give me a break.
lmao what does time frame have anything to do with it? GMs just weren't developed enough to realize Pronger (coming off his best playoff performance) was worth the package dimwits like you are proposing in 2018? Gotta love how people like you just assume Karlsson will be signed with the intention of being traded right after thats what Tavares did right? wait a minute he's approaching ufa isn't he.

Jan 21, 2018
lmao what does time frame have anything to do with it? GMs just weren't developed enough to realize Pronger (coming off his best playoff performance) was worth the package dimwits like you are proposing in 2018? Gotta love how people like you just assume Karlsson will be signed with the intention of being traded right after thats what Tavares did right? wait a minute he's approaching ufa isn't he.

it's easy with hindsight to say pronger was worth that package. just like in a few years it will be easy to say the Sens should have gotten more for Karlsson. When you trade a star player, you rarely get full value.

and now you're comparing Tavares and Karlsson as if it's remotely the same situation. :help:

No team will give up the assets Ottawa wants for Karlsson unless they have an extension in place. Therefore, the Sens can only trade him to a team he is willing to re-sign with. Gotta love how people like you can't even comprehend such simple logic.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
No team will give up the assets Ottawa wants for Karlsson unless they have an extension in place. Therefore, the Sens can only trade him to a team he is willing to re-sign with. Gotta love how people like you can't even comprehend such simple logic.

So what you're saying is that the best offer will be based on a sign-and-trade? Pretty straight forward, makes sense.
So from that, we should assume that if any team wants to make an offer, they need to be in the ballpark of that sign-and-trade offer. Again straight forward. Ottawa isn't going to listen to two sets of offers, one for teams who can sign and trade, and one for teams who can't. Single best offer wins, easy.
From there it's pretty easy to get to "Sens fans don't give the tiniest f*** if any team can't make a competitive offer."

Simple logic, I agree.

Reactions: cgf

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
What are you basing this on. Melnyk will pay for a good player. He's paying Bobby Ryan at 7.5. Little chance a deal gets done without Draisaitl. It's a deal breaker. How can EDM fans expect to get the best D in the league without someone like Draisaitl coming back. It makes no sense.
Because they could make a very good package without Draisaitl? I mean of course Ottawa doesn't have to accept anything, but I'm sure Edmonton doesn't feel like they need to include Drai, and would probably walk in that case.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Lets just wait till karlsson and oel are free agents end of next season sign them both and find away to deal sekera Russell and lucic. Have an all Sweden top 4 in Larson karlsson oel and klefbom

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lets just wait till karlsson and oel are free agents end of next season sign them both and find away to deal sekera Russell and lucic. Have an all Sweden top 4 in Larson karlsson oel and klefbom

Because that hasn’t worked for any other star player that was up for a trade a year+ before he could go to UFA? Somebody will ante up for EK if you won’t.

Now if you want to wait for OEL and hope that Larsson can cover up for his defensive warts, that may work out for ya, but I massively doubt he makes it to UFA either.

Last edited:
Reactions: topshelf15

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Because that hasn’t worked for any other star player that was up for a trade a year+ before he could go to UFA? Somebody will ante up for EK if you won’t.

Now if you want to wait for OEL and hope that Larsson can cover up for his defensive warts, that may work out for ya, but I massively doubt he makes it to UFA either.
I agree chances they make it to free agency are slim and none. and I don't agree with oilers situation giving up a ton of pieces to aquire karlsson or oel were not in a position to do that right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree chances they make it to free agency are slim and none. and I don't agree with oilers situation giving up a ton of pieces to aquire karlsson or oel were not in a position to do that right now.

I dunno. I don’t feel like the Avs are in position where they need a big move to take the next step next year, and can instead wait it out if they can’t sign Tavares or Stastny; but even with the seasons our two clubs have had I think you are a little further along...and a stud puckmover like EK would have a ridiculous impact on your whole team. At the very least that seems to be what your management thinks since they kept Chia and he really only knows how to go for it...and even that not well.

Frankly if you could add EK and some cheap speedy scoring depth like we did last summer, I think you’d be the clear favorites in the Pacific...even if it cost you Leon. But I also think your blueline corp is set up really nicely if you had a stud like him to knock everyone else down a spot.

Healthy Klef and EK would do major damage with McJesus; and let you roll Nurse-Larsson as an elite shutdown pairing. Plus if Sekera stays healthy him and Bear or Benning should make a nice 3rd pairing...and I guess Russell could be fine next to bear, even though I don’t rate Russell at all.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I dunno. I don’t feel like the Avs are in position where they need a big move to take the next step next year, and can instead wait it out if they can’t sign Tavares or Stastny; but even with the seasons our two clubs have had I think you are a little further along...and a stud puckmover like EK would have a ridiculous impact on your whole team. At the very least that seems to be what your management thinks since they kept Chia and he really only knows how to go for it...and even that not well.

Frankly if you could add EK and some cheap speedy scoring depth like we did last summer, I think you’d be the clear favorites in the Pacific...even if it cost you Leon. But I also think your blueline corp is set up really nicely if you had a stud like him to knock everyone else down a spot.

Healthy Klef and EK would do major damage with McJesus; and let you roll Nurse-Larsson as an elite shutdown pairing. Plus if Sekera stays healthy him and Bear or Benning should make a nice 3rd pairing...and I guess Russell could be fine next to bear, even though I don’t rate Russell at all.

Sure except the Oilers don't have the cap space to add Karlsson and wing depth because Chiarelli loves giving players no move clauses.

Avalanche aren't really a good comparison to the Oilers because of the cap.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I can think of 29 other teams that EK would rather go to - likely the reason why he has to be signed before any trade to EDM; an unsigned EK to EDM is likely just wasted assets traded away for a UFA that will walk to a team he wants to go to.

Reactions: bert

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would Oilers fans do a signed Karlsson on July 1 for Draisital and Larsson/Klefbom?

Can't be Larsson. And given ages and probable salary (assuming 10+ for Karlsson), I don't think Karlsson has that much more value than Draisaitl. I know Drai has to be part of the deal, but if I'm Edmonton, it needs to have a forward from Ottawa coming back as well. Probably Pageau, or Edmonton adds something else to get Hoffman too. I just don't think Karlsson is worth much more than Draisaitl. Or we could make it Sekera instead of Klefbom, Karlsson for Draisaitl and Sekera might work.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Because they could make a very good package without Draisaitl? I mean of course Ottawa doesn't have to accept anything, but I'm sure Edmonton doesn't feel like they need to include Drai, and would probably walk in that case.
Good does not get you something rare and elite in return.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Can't be Larsson. And given ages and probable salary (assuming 10+ for Karlsson), I don't think Karlsson has that much more value than Draisaitl. I know Drai has to be part of the deal, but if I'm Edmonton, it needs to have a forward from Ottawa coming back as well. Probably Pageau, or Edmonton adds something else to get Hoffman too. I just don't think Karlsson is worth much more than Draisaitl. Or we could make it Sekera instead of Klefbom, Karlsson for Draisaitl and Sekera might work.

I agree. I'd say if signed, Karlsson does hold more value than Drai but not all that much. Although if you're trying to get Hoffman and Pageau, I'd be interested to see what the adds are from your side.

I see Drai, Klef, 2018 1st and Yamamoto as the main trade chips for Edmonton. Some might say Puljujarvi but you'd be selling low on him and I would advise against that, he's still 19.

The issue with the 2018 1sts is that it's before July 1 and I doubt Karl gets traded before that. Espe with no possibility of an extension before a trade.

But let's pretend it did happen at the draft.

Karlsson+PIT 1st for Drai+EDM 1st.

Pageau+Hoffman+3rd for Klefbom+ Yamamoto

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Some of these arguments are beyond unrealistic.

How likely is it that EK re-signs with Ottawa without any form of NMC/NTC so decision on where he end up is 100% out of his hands (aka the "sign and trade" being referred to?)

Acting like its a mystery whether or not EK would sign somewhere. Teams are prohibited from talking contracts prior to July 1, but I'm almost positive there are no restrictions on interested teams asking his agent if he would be open to re-signing there should he be traded.

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Some of these arguments are beyond unrealistic.

How likely is it that EK re-signs with Ottawa without any form of NMC/NTC so decision on where he end up is 100% out of his hands (aka the "sign and trade" being referred to?)

Acting like its a mystery whether or not EK would sign somewhere. Teams are prohibited from talking contracts prior to July 1, but I'm almost positive there are no restrictions on interested teams asking his agent if he would be open to re-signing there should he be traded.

A one year rental like EK isn't worth as much as an extended EK. Sign and trade is the only method and that seems 99% unlikely. When has that happened? 10 years ago? Who was it again Havlat/Heatley?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
A one year rental like EK isn't worth as much as an extended EK. Sign and trade is the only method and that seems 99% unlikely. When has that happened? 10 years ago? Who was it again Havlat/Heatley?

It happened earlier in the year with Kyle Turris.

Tyler Seguin's current contract was signed by the Bruins but he was traded before that deal kicked in.

And if we're really digging deep, Alex Burrows was a sign and trade.:damnpc:

A sign and trade, especially with Karlsson, is not a ridiculous proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad