Unrestricted Prospects

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Which of your prospects go unrestricted? Dan Ellis does for the stars, current #12 prospect. Probably an AHL goalie but a #3 call-up or back-up is a possibility.Are there any speedy wingers or players who did not get a chance worth signing in this group?

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Different question. Ellis is now stars property and played at Iowa but will be a unrestricted FA for some reason. Tjarnqvist also falls into that category.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Starsdude said:
Which of your prospects go unrestricted? Dan Ellis does for the stars, current #12 prospect. Probably an AHL goalie but a #3 call-up or back-up is a possibility.Are there any speedy wingers or players who did not get a chance worth signing in this group?

Are you sure about that? Giving some insight to Doug Murray and Nolan Schaefer's potential free agent status, Kevin Wey (Stars fans should be familiar with him now :D ) posted this:

Nolan Schaefer: It's my understanding that the cancellation of NHL contracts during the lockout means that Schaefer and Murray are not eligible for Group VI free agency, because 2004-05 apparently did not count as being under a Standard Player Contract. There are some other interesting stipulations about Group VI free agents with the lockout that I won't get in to. Just, talking to Dallas Stars prospect netminder Dan Ellis, who himself was due to become a Group VI this summer but now is not, and receiving word from another source that I trust (sorry about that being cryptic, just probably should keep it that way, though) I'm fairly certain that both Schaefer and Murray will not be Group VIers. Rissmiller and Carkner, however, should both be eligible for Group VI, as they have at least three years under an SPC without the lockout year.

Still some mystery surrounding these players. They are all Group VI UFA (25 or over, 3 pro seasons, less than 80 NHL games or less than 25 for goalies) but due to the lockout, they did not have a chance to play in the NHL in the 04-05 season yet their year in the AHL counted towards their potential UFA and played out a year in their respective contracts. Is the NHL now giving teams an exception due to the lockout? All this new talk that they are not UFA has been confusing me since the start of the new year and I suspect we won't know for sure until July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad