Unrestricted free agent to remain at 31 in first year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The supply/demand theory for UFAs does not hold strongly under a cap system, because bidding wars that would drive up salaries are essentially suppressed by the cap. It's still valid to an extent but not like it was when Marvin Miller first formulated it.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Epsilon said:
The supply/demand theory for UFAs does not hold strongly under a cap system, because bidding wars that would drive up salaries are essentially suppressed by the cap. It's still valid to an extent but not like it was when Marvin Miller first formulated it.

Right, but I don't believe that a greater number of unrestricted free agents will contribute much to salary suppression, cap or no cap.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Epsilon said:

No. Miller did not think that a large number of UFAs would increase salaries - just the opposite. He was terrified of unlimited free agency. Fortunately for Miller, only one owner (Charlie Finley) figured that out.

Marvin Miller, the founding Executive Director of the MLBPA, wrote in his book, A Whole Different Ball Game, that "It dawned on me, as a terrifying possibility, that the owners might suddenly wake up one day and realize that yearly free agency was the best possible thing for them; that is, if all the players became free agents at the end of each year, the market would be flooded, and salaries would be held down..... I realized it would be in the in the interests of players to stagger free agency so that every year there would be, say, three or four players available at a particular position and many teams to compete for their services."

In fact, there was only one baseball owner who shared Miller's view. That was controversial Oakland Athletics owner Charles Finley, who suggested back in the 1970's that teams would be better off if all players were allowed to become free agents.

Miller wrote: "There was Finley, maybe the only original thinker in the group, saying, 'Hey, what's the problem? Let them be free agents every year. It will flood the market with players; it'll keep salaries down.' It was so logical, so obvious, that to this day I can't understand why other owners didn't think of it. All I can imagine is that they had such a fixation on power, such an abhorrence of the idea of the players winning any kind of freedom, that they refused to consider an idea that clearly was in their own economic interest."

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
kdb209 said:
No. Miller did not think that a large number of UFAs would increase salaries - just the opposite. He was terrified of unlimited free agency. Fortunately for Miller, only one owner (Charlie Finley) figured that out.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Miller believed (I think correctly) that less free agents on the market would drive up salaries because of bidding wars. But if salaries are artificially capped, bidding wars are no longer guaranteed, and so more free agents will not necessarily depreciate salaries. Obviously this is very heuristic, and I'm sure a detailed sensitivity analysis could be carried out to determine the "optimal" number of free agents per season under whatever the cap number ends up being.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Cap Room...

Guy Legend said:
Well said.

The Blues will qualify Pronger 100% if he is a RFA. If he goes, he will be traded during the season. He could fetch a decent return from another team going into the playoffs.

However, it is still very possible that they resign him to a long term deal. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on this scenario.

What NHL team is going to have 7 million of cap room that would want Pronger? All of the big markets are going to have to do some major chopping to get down to the max cap number, so there's no chance they'd go after Pronger.

As for the likes of Minnesota, Nashville, Florida, etc. teams with a lot a salary cap space, it would seem logical to not spend 20% of the max cap number on 1 single player, even one as good as Pronger.

The NHL landscape of doing business is going to change with a salary cap. I think the number of trades will decrease, but there will be an increased level of activity during the summer months, especially when the UFA drops to 28.

The teams that feel they are good enough to make a run for the cup, most likely will before the season start basically be at the max cap number, so the chances of adding extra players during the year isn't likely.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Street Hawk said:
What NHL team is going to have 7 million of cap room that would want Pronger? All of the big markets are going to have to do some major chopping to get down to the max cap number, so there's no chance they'd go after Pronger.

As for the likes of Minnesota, Nashville, Florida, etc. teams with a lot a salary cap space, it would seem logical to not spend 20% of the max cap number on 1 single player, even one as good as Pronger.

The NHL landscape of doing business is going to change with a salary cap. I think the number of trades will decrease, but there will be an increased level of activity during the summer months, especially when the UFA drops to 28.

The teams that feel they are good enough to make a run for the cup, most likely will before the season start basically be at the max cap number, so the chances of adding extra players during the year isn't likely.

Exactly... no team is going to take on a 7 million dollar contract and if they did, you are going to see terrible value for him... well not what you are thinking you are going to get for him

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Guy Legend said:
Well said.

The Blues will qualify Pronger 100% if he is a RFA. If he goes, he will be traded during the season. He could fetch a decent return from another team going into the playoffs.
However, it is still very possible that they resign him to a long term deal. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on this scenario.

What you are reffering to here is a deadline type deal. Teams who do that qre ones ready to challenge for the Cup. With the very low cap figure that isexpected for the CBA, many of the good teams will likely be very close if not at the Cap level. How will such a team be able to add on 7.7M in salary under the cap in the middle of the season is beyond my understanding.

Could you explain?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Macho Man said:
What you are reffering to here is a deadline type deal. Teams who do that qre ones ready to challenge for the Cup. With the very low cap figure that isexpected for the CBA, many of the good teams will likely be very close if not at the Cap level. How will such a team be able to add on 7.7M in salary under the cap in the middle of the season is beyond my understanding.

Could you explain?
Trade Salary for Salary .. Trade a big $$$ possibly and injured player soon to be UFA along with pick and prospect for Pronger and your playoff run ..

Basically Salary out = Salary In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->