Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I believe Austin is the only person in WWE modern history that never got out-cheered by his opponent. Not even once that I can think of.

Reactions: Kaner9

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know I mentioned Test once before but WOW did that guy have a rocket shoved up his ass. But the character was so milquetoast. I've been watching a year of his career (AE watch through) and I can't remember him cutting a single promo like the other main eventers do. Shame. I can see why he was pushed but in an era of so much flamboyance, he never stands out

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know I mentioned Test once before but WOW did that guy have a rocket shoved up his ass. But the character was so milquetoast. I've been watching a year of his career (AE watch through) and I can't remember him cutting a single promo like the other main eventers do. Shame. I can see why he was pushed but in an era of so much flamboyance, he never stands out

You're not a Testicle? Shame. Though that is a pretty popular opinion, or at least it was at the time.

Reactions: Kaner9 and SnS

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're not a Testicle? Shame. Though that is a pretty popular opinion, or at least it was at the time.

In his defense he got way too tied down with the McMahon Family angle, seldom contended for any championships and started his career getting duped by the corporation every week on Raw. He had all the physical talent you could want but he was left to get himself over without any real means of doing it except for going out there and getting his ass kicked by a gang of heels like the mean street posse every week for some nonsense reason for months on end

In my AE watch through I'm but a few months into Kurt Angle's career and he's 10x more over than Test in a year. In 2000 year heat lived and died on the mic or a gimmick that was unforgettable

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Test was one of those guys I always hated no matter how he was booked. Like go away heat hate.

Like I was a WCW/ECW mark and when he joined the Alliance for no apparent reason I was PISSED.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Test was one of those guys I always hated no matter how he was booked. Like go away heat hate.

Like I was a WCW/ECW mark and when he joined the Alliance for no apparent reason I was PISSED.

I can see why because he isn't bringing anything extra or exciting to the table. I sympathize with the character but I'm just like "oh he's on next? Eh okay" I'm getting that go away heat with Bossman and X-Pac in a hell of a hurry and sad to say I had it with REALLY BAD with the British Bulldog. You can tell his demons we're bad and I'm just like "oh my God Davey GET HELP!!!"

I haven't gotten to the alliance bit but I'll be looking out for it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
In his defense he got way too tied down with the McMahon Family angle, seldom contended for any championships and started his career getting duped by the corporation every week on Raw. He had all the physical talent you could want but he was left to get himself over without any real means of doing it except for going out there and getting his ass kicked by a gang of heels like the mean street posse every week for some nonsense reason for months on end

In my AE watch through I'm but a few months into Kurt Angle's career and he's 10x more over than Test in a year. In 2000 year heat lived and died on the mic or a gimmick that was unforgettable

Oh I'm no Test fan. Disliking Test was pretty much the popular opinion for basically his whole career. He's one of Vince's big guys and he was done no favours by being so green (I think he'd been wrestling for one or two years maximum by the time he was on WWF tv) at all. His eventual feud with Scott Steiner will always live in my memory.

So that I understand what you're doing, as it is interesting, you're going through the Attitude Era with fresh eyes? You didn't watch at the time?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh I'm no Test fan. Disliking Test was pretty much the popular opinion for basically his whole career. He's one of Vince's big guys and he was done no favours by being so green (I think he'd been wrestling for one or two years maximum by the time he was on WWF tv) at all. His eventual feud with Scott Steiner will always live in my memory.

So that I understand what you're doing, as it is interesting, you're going through the Attitude Era with fresh eyes? You didn't watch at the time?

I was a kid without cable and REALLY didn't want to explain at the age of 11 in the year 2000 what lewd was happening on Smackdown! On the UPN channel we DID get

So sadly I basically missed all of it and seeing it all for the first time 20 years later

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One of the bizarre things for me with Test - I came into wrestling right when they were doing the wedding angle - and he was put in all those spots and never even got a PPV match out of it.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I actually liked Test. I thought he was decent for a guy his size. He had a great match at Survivor Series 2001 against Edge and Summerslam 2002 against Undertaker.

I always found it odd there wasn't even a small feud with HHH after he stole his wife. It's like Test completely forgot about that and they were teaming up pretty soon after that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I actually liked Test. I thought he was decent for a guy his size. He had a great match at Survivor Series 2001 against Edge and Summerslam 2002 against Undertaker.

I always found it odd there wasn't even a small feud with HHH after he stole his wife. It's like Test completely forgot about that and they were teaming up pretty soon after that.

You're right, and that seemed to happen a fair bit as Tri moved to the top of the card. I wouldn't have wanted to watch a feud between them but there was a very obvious reason to have one. Test just accepting it and moving forward like that rendered him a joke. Sort of a precursor to the Ryder and Cena "friendship" many years later.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
There’s been 50 matches significantly better than Steamboat/Savage at WM3, which is widely considered a top 2-3 match ever in WWF/E.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
There’s been 50 matches significantly better than Steamboat/Savage at WM3, which is widely considered a top 2-3 match ever in WWF/E.

Wrestlers of today are way more athletic than they were in 1987. WM3 was also by far the biggest wrestling event up to that day and still may be the biggest ever. Everyone wanted to see Hogan / Andre but Steamboat / Savage stole the show. It is more about the significance of the fight that keeps it regarded as one of the greatest matches ever.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto

I don't think there are many matches that are better for its time though. Just like there are many Ladder matches better than HBK vs Razor at WrestleMania 10.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree it was more important on the inside because it was the funeral of kayfabe for those who had protected it for so many generations. But from our perspective it was dying and dead for years.

That was the final nail in the coffin for the old timers. I mean, when Vince and then Turner ran over the old system with a bulldozer that obviously killed the oldnway of doing things but kayfabe was like the last thing they had left.

Opinion 1. I doubt many will agree with me but the Rock had more heat than Austin. We can debate who had bigger pops coming out. But Rock's character allowed for more audience participation than Austin's. Especially when cutting promos before matches and it had them eating out of his hand.

Opinion 2. Whoever said Austin's booking trumped Roman's and "Cena Wins" and gave it an unflattering remark (beats me what they said) was absolutely right. By the end of any given PPV he could just stun a guy during a title match and walk away without a pinfall, submission etc and it somehow means he won.

IMO thats because Austins character was more about pissing off his boss and anyone else who got in his way vs The Rock who was built more for the fans.

Oh yeah and WWE product has been absolutely horrible since about 2005 -which was the beginning of the end. When you start pushing shit like the "Who's your Papi" angle the Boogeyman and Juniors division you have nowhere to go but down and by 2006 it reached full-scale meltdown. I'm quite frankly amazed I have lasted as long as I have to even still think about the product

For me, I stopped seriously watching around 2010. I've recently followed it partially I stuck thru the post-attitude era until I just got bored.

Bill Goldberg’s many titles in the WWE were completely unwarranted and the man couldn’t work an actual match to save his life

This isn't an unpopular opinion at all lol I think that it's widely accepted that Goldberg was trash in the ring.

Bret Hart said in his A&E doc that Goldberg had 0 skill and was a -10/10 in the ring.

(While one could say Hart was bitter for Goldberg ending his career, I dont think anyone who watched the man wrestle would disagree)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I find that Moxley has been borderline terrible in AEW. In WWE I thought he was a talented guy, certainly well above the other Shield guys, who needed a change of scenery. Not so sure anymore as I more try to consider whether he's a poor man's Roberts or a homeless man's Austin.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I find that Moxley has been borderline terrible in AEW. In WWE I thought he was a talented guy, certainly well above the other Shield guys, who needed a change of scenery. Not so sure anymore as I more try to consider whether he's a poor man's Roberts or a homeless man's Austin.

Moxley was awesome as champion. He has been pretty uninteresting since losing the title. He is still massively over though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Moxley was awesome as champion. He has been pretty uninteresting since losing the title. He is still massively over though.

He gets a good reaction. I have been quite disappointed with him though. Promos have been nothing of note and in the ring I find him bad, where I didn't before.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I may have already mentioned this in this thread but Kane sucked and if it were not for the Undertaker association, he wouldn't have had anything close to a 20 year WWE career.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I may have already mentioned this in this thread but Kane sucked and if it were not for the Undertaker association, he wouldn't have had anything close to a 20 year WWE career.
The Undertaker was the beneficiary of an idiotic supernatural gimmick that somehow got over with both marks and smarks. Of course Vince was going to take advantage of a stupid idea of his that actually worked.

I never cared much about either of their matches, but by association Kane annoyed me far less. His ring entries didn't last as long, and he actually exhibited some personality. He maximized his opportunity.

On the other hand, Mark should have been a lot more than a stupid cartoon character he had to do for 30 years. I would have done the same, and good on him for cashing in, but the talent he showed in his early days got wasted.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The Undertaker was the beneficiary of an idiotic supernatural gimmick that somehow got over with both marks and smarks. Of course Vince was going to take advantage of a stupid idea of his that actually worked.

I never cared much about either of their matches, but by association Kane annoyed me far less. His ring entries didn't last as long, and he actually exhibited some personality. He maximized his opportunity.

On the other hand, Mark should have been a lot more than a stupid cartoon character he had to do for 30 years. I would have done the same, and good on him for cashing in, but the talent he showed in his early days got wasted.

Beneficiary my ass.

You can make the argument that the gimmick should've been a D.O.A. anchor in the level of Repo Man or The Goon.

An undead old west undertaker that no sells and works stiff? Oh and is managed by Brother Love? 999 times out of 1,000 that's a 6 month life span tops

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He has to and is going to refresh, and that’s what he’s doing. He is no longer the top ex-WWE guy who is being born again in AEW. They got new guys for that and more coming. Time to do something else. Seems more like his focus is checking guys he wants to work off his list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->