Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Austin Aries is still criminally underrated

I agree that he's underrated. Great in Ring of Honor and TNA and underutilized in WWE, though I can understand both sides. Even right now his online shtick is heel gold.

Also, a praise for Kizarny really takes the cake in a thread like this. Hard to top that one.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I agree that he's underrated. Great in Ring of Honor and TNA and underutilized in WWE, though I can understand both sides. Even right now his online shtick is heel gold.

Also, a praise for Kizarny really takes the cake in a thread like this. Hard to top that one.
Have always disliked the guy after that time he joked about Larry Sweeny committing suicide in a promo.

Reactions: Kaner9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m about to triple down on one

They should have pushed Elijah Burke/Sylvester Terkay to the moon and then after Terkay left they should have pushed Burke to the moon and made him ECW champion and then when Burke became D’Angelo Dinero in TNA they should have made him champ

Reactions: Petrouth and Kaner9

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
re: JBL

He was entertaining as hell. Loved to hate him. But he had ZERO business being champion for 10 months straight. It's nothing new to have a heel champ win dirty. It's another to engineer like 7 different random acts of God, Heidenreich and the cabinet. After a point it became forced. Hell it was more than forced. You also gotta remember between September 2003 and April 2005 Smackdown! had exactly one babyface champion in Guerrero for 133 days. Lesnar before him and JBL after? 432 days combined.

Smackdown! as a whole would've been a hell of a lot better if JBL had briefly lost the belt for a few months and won it back. 10 months was enough time to do it and still have him drop the title to Cena. It would've been a better alternative than booing the shit out of the champ for 16 out of 19 months and given the fans a much needed break from the heel domination. Hell I'm still burned out from it and it was 15 years ago.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Ric Flair-Jay Lethal segment is the best segment in the history of professional wrestling. Everything about it is perfect- Lethals impression, Flair’s acting, Desmond Wolfe chiming in with something awkward and anticlimactic. Perfection was finally achieved in wrestling and it happened in the impact zone

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
re: JBL

He was entertaining as hell. Loved to hate him. But he had ZERO business being champion for 10 months straight. It's nothing new to have a heel champ win dirty. It's another to engineer like 7 different random acts of God, Heidenreich and the cabinet. After a point it became forced. Hell it was more than forced. You also gotta remember between September 2003 and April 2005 Smackdown! had exactly one babyface champion in Guerrero for 133 days. Lesnar before him and JBL after? 432 days combined.

Smackdown! as a whole would've been a hell of a lot better if JBL had briefly lost the belt for a few months and won it back. 10 months was enough time to do it and still have him drop the title to Cena. It would've been a better alternative than booing the shit out of the champ for 16 out of 19 months and given the fans a much needed break from the heel domination. Hell I'm still burned out from it and it was 15 years ago.

I thought that at the time. He was getting good heel reactions, but his title run was too long as started getting the wrong reactions. JBL could have lost the title for two months or so and chased for it, using all kinds of rich heel ways, without losing anything that made him effective in that role.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought that at the time. He was getting good heel reactions, but his title run was too long as started getting the wrong reactions. JBL could have lost the title for two months or so and chased for it, using all kinds of rich heel ways, without losing anything that made him effective in that role.

Yeah 2 or 3 months would've been about right and it would've done wonders for JBL's heat. To have him drop the title and lose his rematch and have several very public temper tantrums would've been a wonderful change of pace for the Smackdown! programming at the time. How he gets another match? idk or care that's what creative is for. But when he makes good on the 2nd try the heat would've been absolutely nuclear. Especially when he struts around calling himself a "UHHHH WRESTLING GAAAWWWWWDDDDDD"

After about 7 months he was getting Roman Reigns "go away" heat and I don't blame the fans at all. 2004 was the last TRULY good year of Smackdown! programming. By 2005 the whole of WWE product had basically gone to shit. New Years 2006 with Angle as champ was probably the last time I genuinely enjoyed the product.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I’m about to triple down on one

They should have pushed Elijah Burke/Sylvester Terkay to the moon and then after Terkay left they should have pushed Burke to the moon and made him ECW champion and then when Burke became D’Angelo Dinero in TNA they should have made him champ

Some love for Pope? IM HERE FOR THAT.

So underrated and a real great talker. Shoulda got a belt somewhere along the way.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Some love for Pope? IM HERE FOR THAT.

So underrated and a real great talker. Shoulda got a belt somewhere along the way.

you’d think he’d have been given a chance at some point- especially in TNA- but noooooooo they had to go and make Ken Anderson champ twice

a woman from the south named Dixie probs doesn’t want a pimp character named “Black Pope” as her company’s champion

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Matt Morgan could have been a star

If you're talking about TNA Matt Morgan from around 2008, then I agree. He could talk and was pretty agile for a guy his size from what I remember.

Some other unpopular opinions of mine:

I don't think the nWo added too many people. The whole point was that they were taking over and that wouldn't have made sense with a 5-6 man group.

Test should have been a main eventer or upper card guy. I don't mean he should have been a huge star but at least on a Sheamus level of main eventing. I'm talking about the 1999-2002 Test, not the one in WWE-ECW.

Iron man matches suck. I find it hard to get into a match when you know it's ending at a specific time. Takes so much drama away from it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If you're talking about TNA Matt Morgan from around 2008, then I agree. He could talk and was pretty agile for a guy his size from what I remember.

Some other unpopular opinions of mine:

I don't think the nWo added too many people. The whole point was that they were taking over and that wouldn't have made sense with a 5-6 man group.

Test should have been a main eventer or upper card guy. I don't mean he should have been a huge star but at least on a Sheamus level of main eventing. I'm talking about the 1999-2002 Test, not the one in WWE-ECW.

Iron man matches suck. I find it hard to get into a match when you know it's ending at a specific time. Takes so much drama away from it.

that’s the exact version of Matt Morgan I’m talking about

almost put the Test take in here myself

Reactions: Megahab

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Unpopular opinion for a reason. I never saw it. Couldn't stand the guy. As much as I didn't like Steiner, I liked it when he commented on Morgan's DNA.

I just went and watched that promo, how can you not love Scott Steiner promos

also they had a backstage brawl after that was also kinda funny. Steiner in TNA was comedic gold, and I think it was mostly unintentional

As for Morgan that why I put it in here lol. I just think you almost never see a guy with his size, athleticism, and mic skills come around. If the WWE had properly invested in him I think he could have been big there. He wouldn’t have been a ratings-drawing star in TNA after his wwe stint but I think they could have justified putting the belt on him if built properly. Maybe could have worked something when he came in as Jim Cornette’s enforcer, have Cornette give him favorable treatment and create an unstoppable heel that also gets an unfair edge over people. Probably could get some heat if you combine that with Morgan’s mic skills

I think he’s a mayor in Florida now

Reactions: les Habs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I just went and watched that promo, how can you not love Scott Steiner promos

also they had a backstage brawl after that was also kinda funny. Steiner in TNA was comedic gold, and I think it was mostly unintentional

As for Morgan that why I put it in here lol. I just think you almost never see a guy with his size, athleticism, and mic skills come around. If the WWE had properly invested in him I think he could have been big there. He wouldn’t have been a ratings-drawing star in TNA after his wwe stint but I think they could have justified putting the belt on him if built properly. Maybe could have worked something when he came in as Jim Cornette’s enforcer, have Cornette give him favorable treatment and create an unstoppable heel that also gets an unfair edge over people. Probably could get some heat if you combine that with Morgan’s mic skills

I think he’s a mayor in Florida now

Yes Morgan is a small town mayor now. Cornette loved Morgan and talks about how big he could have been. I don't think that he was as good as Cornette thinks but if you had given Morgan the classic big, quiet badass booking it's easy to see him getting a good reaction pretty fast. An enforcer role, as you say, would have worked really well.

Steiner was comedic gold all the way back in late 90s WCW. I prefer Steiner to anyone else from late era WCW. His TNA work was a logical continuation and also a good way of maintaining a shred of relevance after his wrestling ability had eroded.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Raw Underground isn't terrible.

It presents guys in a different, more realistic light and for some of them it's a dramatic improvement. Strowman for example.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Raw Underground isn't terrible.

It presents guys in a different, more realistic light and for some of them it's a dramatic improvement. Strowman for example.

I do think that it's terrible, but I will somewhat agree with the second part. Since WWE's general presentation is already bad to begin with, the guys who look legitimately tough can be well served by a different setting like Raw Underground. I don't know how well it will translate if someone consistently looks good in that context but then has to transfer over to regular matches.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I do think that it's terrible, but I will somewhat agree with the second part. Since WWE's general presentation is already bad to begin with, the guys who look legitimately tough can be well served by a different setting like Raw Underground. I don't know how well it will translate if someone consistently looks good in that context but then has to transfer over to regular matches.

And that's the problem IMO. What is the end-game for Raw Underground? Because it won't go on forever. Will guys take their "Underground" versions and transfer to the ring? It would be a shame to see for example Strowman finish up with Raw UG and go back to playing his somewhat cartoonish Monster character. He's looked like a killer in Raw UG with his mannerisms, move sets and his new look. Riddick Moss is another guy who I think has looked good in the Raw UG format.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And that's the problem IMO. What is the end-game for Raw Underground? Because it won't go on forever. Will guys take their "Underground" versions and transfer to the ring? It would be a shame to see for example Strowman finish up with Raw UG and go back to playing his somewhat cartoonish Monster character. He's looked like a killer in Raw UG with his mannerisms, move sets and his new look. Riddick Moss is another guy who I think has looked good in the Raw UG format.

In an ideal world maybe some of the top guys become a stable under a manager (Shane McMahon maybe) and wrestle with a more brutal style, but I'd expect that it would fizzle out quickly once the matches started and WWE had them all losing most of their matches weeks after the stable debuted. Either way I do think that the way to go is to have some of the top guys emerge with a more brutal style.

Reactions: BruinDust

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
You say no one cares about size but if you look at the top talent the past 30 years, virtually every single guy had it. What people don't seem to understand is charisma without the look isn't believable. Some of these guys, particularly on the smaller shows, are downright pathetic.

You can sell a smaller guy but it's gotta have some legitimacy in the way it is accomplished more than a bigger guy...nobody is gonna believe a small guy gets in the ring and out punches or out powers a Roman Reigns Steve Austin type...your small guys have to have cerebral characters attached to them, taking out knees, limbs etc
It can be done with the right guy but it will take a hell of a lot more effort in the build (coming from a guy standing at an imposing 5'4 lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad