Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Kane in 2003 after he unmasked was absolutely fantastic.

Yeah I liked Kane for about 2 months in 2003. June to about August. And his the concept of his character was good in 1997 to maybe mid 1998. But the storylines and matches were bad for most of his career.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
My list of unpopular opinions.

I know I have many..

-Not a fan of Becky Lynch. Didn't like her unbeatable status, nor the cockiness of a Stone Cold/ The Rock attached to the character.

- I adore the main story lines of 2020. They used the quiet arena to their advantage when it comes to going very personal, on not just the entertainer, but the person behind it. Orton talking about Edge's kids by their 1st name, Ziggler being there for McIntyre when he came back, Orton being a bum when he got in the WWE, Hardy who just came back from Rehab, Flair missing the spotlight etc etc, the list goes on.

- (Especially for Twitter fanboys), other than John Moxley, I'm no fan of the AEW product in general. Tried, but can't get into it. If there was a 160 pounder in the WWE with his hands in his pockets, delivering kiddy kicks, everyone would be livid, trashing the WWE, but because it's AEW, it's revolutionary. They get away with A LOT by being the new kid on the block. I wish them well, despise monopolies, but I much prefer NXT.

- WWE will ruin Keith Lee if they don't bring him up ASAP. First, he's already 35 years old, and his character has a limited range of story line potential. They need to cash in on his ridiculous athletic abilities soon, before the weight catches up to his body and he can't move as quickly anymore.

Im very scared about how wwe will handle Keith Lee. He can be huge but this is wwe here so don't expect it.

Reactions: Dominator13

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Steamboat vs Savage WAS one of the best matches of it's time.

I think there have been 10-15 better in the last 2 years.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I may have already posted this but I don't remember - but one of my unpopular opinions is about Kane. Many people here will consider him a legend but I don't think so. I mean, he'll had a long career and will be in the WWE hall of fame but he was in some of the most ridiculous storylines and had consistently boring matches. I just can't think of many great Kane moments or matches.

- Undertaker at WM 14
- Austin on Raw in June 98
- Six man TLC match (Kane, Bryan, and Ryback) against the Shield.
- His dominant performance at the 2001 Royal Rumble

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
- Undertaker at WM 14
- Austin on Raw in June 98
- Six man TLC match (Kane, Bryan, and Ryback) against the Shield.
- His dominant performance at the 2001 Royal Rumble

I'll give you the Austin Raw match. That was awesome and was pretty much peak Kane.

I don't remember WM 14 vs. Taker being any good. Actually, I don't think there was even one good Taker vs. Kane match.

How much of the Shield TLC match was a contribution from Kane? I remember the Raw TLC in 2002 which Kane was in and that was an awesome match but Kane had very little to do with it.

The 2001 Rumble - was it memorable only because they made sure we all remember Kane broke the eliminations record? I don't know if Kane's performance itself was memorable or any good.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll give you the Austin Raw match. That was awesome and was pretty much peak Kane.

I don't remember WM 14 vs. Taker being any good. Actually, I don't think there was even one good Taker vs. Kane match.

How much of the Shield TLC match was a contribution from Kane? I remember the Raw TLC in 2002 which Kane was in and that was an awesome match but Kane had very little to do with it.

The 2001 Rumble - was it memorable only because they made sure we all remember Kane broke the eliminations record? I don't know if Kane's performance itself was memorable or any good.

I'd say you're right. Kane was very much just a supporting player with a good look. His feuds with Undertaker also tended to go on too long and it was a well that WWE went to too often.

Reactions: Megahab

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think relative to a regular sized worker like Shawn Michaels or Kurt Angle Kane was yucky, I think relative to other wrestlers his size he was a good worker. The bar is much lower for them

Great character for the most part though. Def wouldn’t have gotten over as Glen Jacobs that’s for sure

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This might not be unpopular but WWE needs to give up this "draft" or "shake-up" stuff if they ever want the brand split to be successful. Every once in awhile you can move a wrestler from one brand to another, most of the time I'd do it when a wrestler is returning from a prolonged absence.

How do they ever expect either show to gain traction with a particular roster when they constantly move multiple guys around several times a year? Don't they realize that some people really only watch one show, regardless of which wrestlers are on that show? There are a lot of fans who only watch one show whether it's time-constraints, habit, cable-access, etc. not necessarily about which particular wrestlers are on the show. I think if they want to grow the fanbase of a particular show, they need to allow the rosters be stable for awhile, a couple years at least. Allow for the wrestlers to develop some chemistry and also some history/back-story with each other. See the Smackdown roster post original draft/brand extension back in 2002. It would also make it a bigger deal when a big name switches brands, because now when a big name switches up, the impact is minimal really despite what the WWE brain-trust believe.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This might not be unpopular but WWE needs to give up this "draft" or "shake-up" stuff if they ever want the brand split to be successful. Every once in awhile you can move a wrestler from one brand to another, most of the time I'd do it when a wrestler is returning from a prolonged absence.

How do they ever expect either show to gain traction with a particular roster when they constantly move multiple guys around several times a year? Don't they realize that some people really only watch one show, regardless of which wrestlers are on that show? There are a lot of fans who only watch one show whether it's time-constraints, habit, cable-access, etc. not necessarily about which particular wrestlers are on the show. I think if they want to grow the fanbase of a particular show, they need to allow the rosters be stable for awhile, a couple years at least. Allow for the wrestlers to develop some chemistry and also some history/back-story with each other. See the Smackdown roster post original draft/brand extension back in 2002. It would also make it a bigger deal when a big name switches brands, because now when a big name switches up, the impact is minimal really despite what the WWE brain-trust believe.

Long term roster continuity would also allow certain matches to become fantasy matches for fans, but WWE is too intent on burning through everything with a short-term focus to get a reaction on twitter or draw a few eyeballs to some b list event. I'm against the brand split in general but your suggestions would at least allow it to be better executed.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I think relative to a regular sized worker like Shawn Michaels or Kurt Angle Kane was yucky, I think relative to other wrestlers his size he was a good worker. The bar is much lower for them

Great character for the most part though. Def wouldn’t have gotten over as Glen Jacobs that’s for sure

I think even if compare Kane to other big men, he's just about an average worker. I don't know if it means he's a better worker, but I even prefer Big Show's in-ring work to Kane's.

Reactions: Soul Man and CDJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
After watching Keith Lee's debut on Raw last night (well a video of it on Bleacher Report), WWE needs a serious shake-up in whoever is putting together the tights and attire for their performers. The stuff now is soooo generic. Almost every guys outfit hits the same notes:

1) Main colour - black

2) Writing out a catch-phrase i.e Bask in the Glory

3) Stupid looking silouette of the performer striking their stupid signature pose.

Sometimes instead of a silhouette you'll get some ridiculous looking symbol, but you get the point.

Rinse and repeat. Keith Lee last night look nothing more than a average slightly overweight guy who decide to make a wrestling costume for Halloween because that's what he thinks a wrestlers outfit is suppose to look like for the past 20 years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
After watching Keith Lee's debut on Raw last night (well a video of it on Bleacher Report), WWE needs a serious shake-up in whoever is putting together the tights and attire for their performers. The stuff now is soooo generic. Almost every guys outfit hits the same notes:

1) Main colour - black

2) Writing out a catch-phrase i.e Bask in the Glory

3) Stupid looking silouette of the performer striking their stupid signature pose.

Sometimes instead of a silhouette you'll get some ridiculous looking symbol, but you get the point.

Rinse and repeat. Keith Lee last night look nothing more than a average slightly overweight guy who decide to make a wrestling costume for Halloween because that's what he thinks a wrestlers outfit is suppose to look like for the past 20 years.

At least he isn't sporting long greasy hair and a beard.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Roman Reigns is actually very good but the way he has been booked and the awful dialogue he gets saddled with has killed him. Thankfully it looks like they may have finally figured out the correct character direction for him.

Reactions: Soul Man

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Brock-Rollins-Cena triple threat at the 2015 Royal Rumble is the best match of the last 5 years. Maybe longer. Since Taker/HBK at least.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I was surprised that this is an unpopular opinion: I thought Cena vs. Wyatt and Taker vs. Styles at this past WrestleMania were both terrible. I remember after watching it, I assumed everyone was to going shit on it online, but I was very surprised to see that most people liked both matches.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I was surprised that this is an unpopular opinion: I thought Cena vs. Wyatt and Taker vs. Styles at this past WrestleMania were both terrible. I remember after watching it, I assumed everyone was to going shit on it online, but I was very surprised to see that most people liked both matches.

Those matches were cool to me but it comes down to your mentality. They did an experiment cause no fans so they did well in that way. If a whole event was like that it would be so bad though. AJ did have some good personality in his Taker match lol

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The only reason why people hate Roman Reigns is because he won instead of Daniel Bryan in the 2015 Royal Rumble.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad