Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
While I love Breath of the Wild (and want to play it again). I hope they go back to the "Ocarina of Time" format - and really hone in what the problems were (with the format), and really pump up the story/adventure aspect. if choice has to be Open World vs. Story/Linear i'm going to go with Story.

(i also think it's a shame they haven't done something akin to Majora's Mask again. one of the best zeldas).

I hope not. That would be a step backwards for the franchise to close things back up after all this freedom.

Zelda was never and most likely will never be a story first franchise. BotW’s story is on par with past entries.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I hope not. That would be a step backwards for the franchise to close things back up after all this freedom.

Zelda was never and most likely will never be a story first franchise. BotW’s story is on par with past entries.

I don't see how it would be a step back. Or rather - I don't see why it can't do both.

I find that Ocarina, Majora, Windwaker, Twilight and Skyward, (for me) had equal blend of explore, and adventure. and considering that most of them (maybe not so much Skyward for some) are amazing entries into the universe. - i simply don't see why that BOTW (and other entries) couldn't have a more detailed story - with the same level of adventure. People keep saying you can't have open world and intense story, well before you couldn't Z lock in battle. Zelda/Nintendo figured that out - why not figure out how to have a rich, vibrant story in an open world. without the limiters.

Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't see how it would be a step back. Or rather - I don't see why it can't do both.

I find that Ocarina, Majora, Windwaker, Twilight and Skyward, (for me) had equal blend of explore, and adventure. and considering that most of them (maybe not so much Skyward for some) are amazing entries into the universe. - i simply don't see why that BOTW (and other entries) couldn't have a more detailed story - with the same level of adventure. People keep saying you can't have open world and intense story, well before you couldn't Z lock in battle. Zelda/Nintendo figured that out - why not figure out how to have a rich, vibrant story in an open world. without the limiters.
I definitely think its possible to do both. Look at Assassins Creed: Origins. Huge story, fairly deep and its completely open world. Done very well.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I definitely think its possible to do both. Look at Assassins Creed: Origins. Huge story, fairly deep and its completely open world. Done very well.

i haven't played that game. but. exactly.
don't get me wrong - I loved BOTW. but I just feel that the story could have been more. and I think that Nintendo can do both :)

Reactions: Lancer

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Skyward sword if I remember right is actually the origin story, and a very good one to my memory.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
RuneScape is a good game.

Legend of Zelda is a lame series and I'm not sure how it has spawned such a huge series.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Skyward sword if I remember right is actually the origin story, and a very good one to my memory.

it is - I loved it, but its seen as the straw that broke the camel's back. - as you really went in a straight line, you didn't have choice where to go and it was very. A leads to B, Leads to C. (but i really enjoyed the story).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I haven't been able to play BotW yet to judge, but console 3D games were in their infancy when OoT came out
and the Z lock was a simple invention of necessity, so that's hardly comparable. Now there's no reason why you can't have a story comparable to other Zelda's in the new open world format, but rather than being a pro/con this is more a design choice and comes down to being a matter of preference.

Other than that though I guess it comes down to design choice and what you would consider a "rich, vibrant story". For example Shadow of the Colossus I would consider having a very rich story while being largely empty, but that a lot of that was through it's simplicity and design. By conventional means though obviously the more narrow and linear you make the gameplay the easier it is to include a great story. Open world means open player choice, and all those variables make it much more difficult/time consuming to write a good story.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
PS2/Xbox had better, more fun sports games than this PS4 generation. Give me MVP Baseball 2005, Madden 2005, NBA Live 2005 and ANY NHL game from that era over all the modern games, I like MLB the Show but it played better on PS3, NHL was great on PS3 as well, NBA 2K is the best series but overall the PS2 era was much better replay value, much more simple franchise offseasons to build teams and more fun.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Don't forget NHL 2k5 (my favorite hockey game ever) and the first person view that NFL 2k6 (I think) gave you, for $25!

Reactions: Nickmo82

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sometimes a severely flawed game can still be a lot of fun.

I am horrible with FPS on consoles.

I don't know that it's an unpopular stance, but there's certainly two teams on this front.

Some prefer the controller for its rumble capability and analog movement.

The correct people prefer the mouse for its superior accuracy. :sarcasm: :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I do like mouse a lot, but I absolutely hate keyboard. I'm a big fan of what Nintendo is doing with gyroscope controls. Its not the accuracy of mouse but it comes close enough while keeping the comfort of the controller. That and keeping your hands free with the joycon and Wii more, they've had the right idea for a long time. I wouldn't have minded PlayStation doing something similar and had the light bar and PlayStation camera actually have some use.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
May have been said already, but the popularity of the "open world" is the worst thing that's ever happened to gaming.

This might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I agree that these modern open world games are boring - with a few exceptions.

Developers feel the need to put this paint-by-numbers open world crap into every single damn game these days, and it's ruined some great series or great ideas.

Having a huge world to explore is meaningless and boring if they don't actually have a good game in there to draw you in. Fetch quests and wandering around aimlessly might pad the stats but it's not my idea of fun.

Not every game needs to be freakin' Skyrim.

World of Warcraft might have ruined me back in the day. :laugh:

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
PS2/Xbox had better, more fun sports games than this PS4 generation. Give me MVP Baseball 2005, Madden 2005, NBA Live 2005 and ANY NHL game from that era over all the modern games, I like MLB the Show but it played better on PS3, NHL was great on PS3 as well, NBA 2K is the best series but overall the PS2 era was much better replay value, much more simple franchise offseasons to build teams and more fun.

NHL games peaked between 2009 - 2012. Those games perfected the skill stick control scheme, and pushed the envelop for modes like Be a Pro/GM and having multiple people play on one console online vs other multiple people. That was the golden era for NHL games IMO.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
May have been said already, but the popularity of the "open world" is the worst thing that's ever happened to gaming.

I agree only to the extent that it feels like MOST games do this now whereas it used to be a more unique thing.

A lot of these games are designed with a linear story mode that you can hop on and off of whenever you want and explore the little world they built for you in the meantime. It's nice having that freedom, as long as there's a quality story to be played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->