GDT: Unofficially Official 19-20 Training Camp Thread

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
blash no doubt has been very positively affected by his new gm

Without a doubt Blashill has benefitted from the GM change because it’s refreshed the public’s perspective of the team. Blashill hasn’t changed at all, but for whatever reason bringing in Yzerman has calmed the shit storm of this fan base roasting him at every turn because they think they know best.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Just an idea, but it might be OK to stick to Rasmussen, instead of constantly criticizing someone's posting technique. It's pretty clear that this isn't even about Rasmussen.

What is your take on Rasmussen, anyway? That you think he's going to be a good NHL center?
You think his skill set and qualities are best suited for center?

If you're going to continually criticize one's debating technique, you'd be wise to hold yourself to the same standards to which you hold others.

In this particular video, Rasmussen gets to the front of the net, and despite all that reach, can't get to the loose puck in front of the net because his zero-to-whatever speed is really bad.
In the second video, it's more of his puck carrying ability. It's one of the few times Ras doesn't immediate get rid of the puck. And we see why. The game is too fast for him. Lanes and options are opening and closing too fast. He makes a decision, puts his head down thinking one thing, and gets creamed.

Usually, Ras gets the puck on his stick and it's gone before he takes two strides.
In this case, on stride three, he gets lit up.

I think you are slightly drawing overall conclusions from cherry picking, but I don't think anyone would dispute that improving his acceleration in the first 3 strides would make a massive difference to him. His top speed isn't bad but his acceleration is a massive barrier to him reaching his potential = my additional observation would be that for 90% of 6 "4+ young skaters this is their biggest issue, and many do make incremental improvements as they reach 'man' strength, which Rasmussen clearly hasn't yet

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Yeah. Seems about right.
I would say that Datsyuk/Zetterberg aren't super big/fast.
But neither guy was trying to make the NHL at 19 either.

This is the key point - for me Rasmussen's progress would be greatly helped by starting in GR this year. Let him develop his knowledge of the pro game in more of a position to thrive than in a mediocre team at the absolute elite level. We've seen time and again how the Wings have successfully introduced young guys by letting them get a run-up in the first part of the season at AHL level.

It also allows us to give rotational looks at some of our other candidates, and see how the senior guys react to having a fire lit under them by the GM change, not to mention the arrival of ERNE.

With the season likely being another poor one, for once we'd be better letting Ras, Veleno, Zadina tear it up in the AHL for a while, and let Hirose & Kuffner be the first taxi's off the rank, particularly given Hirose's promising start and Kuffner's showing in the prospect tournament. Also, frankly, Ras, Veleno & Zadin should be an extremely complementary line and should absoulutely kill it on the PP at AHL level.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is the key point - for me Rasmussen's progress would be greatly helped by starting in GR this year. Let him develop his knowledge of the pro game in more of a position to thrive than in a mediocre team at the absolute elite level. We've seen time and again how the Wings have successfully introduced young guys by letting them get a run-up in the first part of the season at AHL level.

It also allows us to give rotational looks at some of our other candidates, and see how the senior guys react to having a fire lit under them by the GM change, not to mention the arrival of ERNE.

With the season likely being another poor one, for once we'd be better letting Ras, Veleno, Zadina tear it up in the AHL for a while, and let Hirose & Kuffner be the first taxi's off the rank, particularly given Hirose's promising start and Kuffner's showing in the prospect tournament. Also, frankly, Ras, Veleno & Zadin should be an extremely complementary line and should absoulutely kill it on the PP at AHL level.
Veleno looks to be the most ready, might be him instead of Kuffner. I'm OK with it either way, or possibly Puempel.

The roster is pretty much shaping up the way I expected it to. Zadina is a bit of a disappointment, but I had him penciled in for AHL. One thing is clear, he does not look elite, so I expect the Wings to go after a scoring threat in the next draft.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Zadina shouldn't be expected to contribute much this year, next year is the year he will make or break my view of him as a prospect... He's still so young, he could be playing junior hockey. We benefit from the fact he is from overseas and he gets to play against men, rather than be stuck in junior... I really believe 2 years learning the north American game, against men is going to do wonders for him.

I expect 20 to 30 games with the big club this year and around 10 points, anything else is a bonus. A lot of people will view that as a fail but to me, that's just a head start on becoming a pro rather than dominating versus kids.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zadina shouldn't be expected to contribute much this year, next year is the year he will make or break my view of him as a prospect... He's still so young, he could be playing junior hockey. We benefit from the fact he is from overseas and he gets to play against men, rather than be stuck in junior... I really believe 2 years learning the north American game, against men is going to do wonders for him.

I expect 20 to 30 games with the big club this year and around 10 points, anything else is a bonus. A lot of people will view that as a fail but to me, that's just a head start on becoming a pro rather than dominating versus kids.

We turn guys pro regardless with the fall birthdays, Zadina is older for his draft class. He would have been in Grand Rapids this year had he stayed in Halifax last year.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Mickey echoed HSJ in saying we are starting the year with 8 D. I assume that is being done to alleviate the logjam in GR.

I am wondering if McIllrath will end up as that 8th guy? It would have to be he or Lashoff I think.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mickey echoed HSJ in saying we are starting the year with 8 D. I assume that is being done to alleviate the logjam in GR.

I am wondering if McIllrath will end up as that 8th guy? It would have to be he or Lashoff I think.

I think Hicketts is also in that picture. In fact that is who I am guessing the 8th guy is with how much the organization likes him. I like McIlrath down in the AHL protecting our big prospects, that is a rougher league and we are going to have a lot of talent down there. We will see how it shakes out, his skating is a little better but still not really NHL quality for me.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Hicketts is also in that picture. In fact that is who I am guessing the 8th guy is with how much the organization likes him. I like McIlrath down in the AHL protecting our big prospects, that is a rougher league and we are going to have a lot of talent down there. We will see how it shakes out, his skating is a little better but still not really NHL quality for me.

Could also have a situation where Cholowski plays his way onto the roster. In which case you have Bowey, Ericsson, and Daley rotating based on health and performance.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

The key is taking steps forward.
I don't sense much improvement yet. Maybe a bit stronger. But hard to tell.
But I want to see more flashes of talent.
Veleno is giving us those flashes of skill. Zadina should start doing to same this year.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Could also have a situation where Cholowski plays his way onto the roster. In which case you have Bowey, Ericsson, and Daley rotating based on health and performance.
Or, here's another idea, if SY is true to Best player Plays then:

For example: (Seider could replace Cholo or Kaski in this scenario)

Cholo/Kaski/Bowey all rotate for 3rd pair (164 games/3= 55 games each + any fill-ins for injuries to our Top 4 + some games where we play 7D + trading Green @TDL = probably well over 200 games/3 or minimum 67++ games each.

E & Daley to GR (that'd motivate the heck out of Abby too as an added benefit)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->