GDT: Unofficially Official 19-20 Training Camp Thread

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Figured there wasn't one yet, so here she blows.

Starting it off with our favorite trio from Traverse City:

So many left-handed golfers.

Also, video is mostly a waste of time, sorry about that. Mods, please merge or delete as necessary.

Yeah, I can't help but think that Carley Johnston is cute as hell though.
Just a great on-camera personality.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Art Regner for a week solid is really starting to get on my nerves...

Thought we would get some actual practice glimpses. I get drills can be boring to some, amazing to me they worked in the silly video segments which we have been able to watch and some of us have during the summer... So um how about the hockey instead of Justin Abdelkader goes home would be nice.

Christien

May 1, 2010

Thought we would get some actual practice glimpses. I get drills can be boring to some, amazing to me they worked in the silly video segments which we have been able to watch and some of us have during the summer... So um how about the hockey instead of Justin Abdelkader goes home would be nice.
The media team for the Wings could really stand to improve some of their content. You see other teams posting really interesting stuff like the staff mic’d up at the draft and a lot of behind the scene stuff and it makes me kinda jealous.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

I literally liked then unliked this post just so I could like it a second time.

Reactions: ealong59

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This was a good (long) read on Day 1 of camp, changes to the drills & insight into how each player looked.

Impressions from the first day of the Red Wings’ training camp ’19
Impressions from the first day of the Red Wings’ training camp ’19
The Detroit Red Wings opened training camp at Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City today, splitting their 67-man roster into three “teams” which practiced for the better part of six hours today.
For most of the media, the biggest moment of the day was the 18 minutes we spent with Steve Yzerman, but even the subsequent interviews with Tyler Bertuzzi, Dylan Larkin, Valtteri Filppula and coach Jeff Blashill weren’t as exciting as the simple fact that hockey fans and hockey scribes alike could finally watch the Red Wings’ players skate and the Red Wings’ coaches coach.

[mod note: please remember folks that you can't copy/paste whole articles. Give a brief snippet from the article and the link, and keep HF on the sunny side of the law]

Last edited by a moderator:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
This was a good (long) read on Day 1 of camp, changes to the drills & insight into how each player looked.

Courtesy of George Malik @ The Malik Report

I know a lot of you aren't a fan of Malik, but he's a really nice guy (I spilled beer on him at a Wings game and he didn't try to kick my ass) and is trying to follow his dreams. Support the guy if you read his stuff.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The media team for the Wings could really stand to improve some of their content. You see other teams posting really interesting stuff like the staff mic’d up at the draft and a lot of behind the scene stuff and it makes me kinda jealous.
its very amature stuff . even the wings internet presense is weak hack job stuff . its another aspect of the organization that needs to be rebuilt !

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Courtesy of George Malik @ The Malik Report

I know a lot of you aren't a fan of Malik, but he's a really nice guy (I spilled beer on him at a Wings game and he didn't try to kick my ass) and is trying to follow his dreams. Support the guy if you read his stuff.
malik provides us redwing fans with a 24/7/365 stream of the best redwings info on earth ! who else gets near what hes bringing ? h st hack ? kulfan ? ansar ? none of them

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
“What I’m trying to do is put the most skilled, most competitive, most driven, most intelligent hockey players on the ice,” Yzerman said. “We’re just trying to amass as many of those players as we can, regardless of their age or where they come from, and ultimately, be a good team.”

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
malik provides us redwing fans with a 24/7/365 stream of the best redwings info on earth ! who else gets near what hes bringing ? h st hack ? kulfan ? ansar ? none of them

There are a lot of people on this board who find him "overbearing" and/or "too positive" regarding prospects. In the years I've been a member here, I haven't seen anyone else pony-up to go to TC and give "better" coverage, but it is what it is.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
I know it's a bit late, but here's a group of post-practice interviews via Kukla's Korner:

Abel to Yzerman - Kukla's Korner

In my opinion, of note:
I think Blash is finally starting to find his own voice... I don't know if it was a Holland thing or a post-Babcock thing, but it really feels like he's ready to make his own way. Obviously we'll have to see how the coaching shakes out over the season, but I'm slightly more encouraged than last season.

Art just can't let anyone get a word in edgewise, can he? Definitely a personality for radio. HSJ is almost as bad.

That's all I've got. No hard-hitting analYsis from me, definitely not smart enough.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Malik's a good guy. And I'm glad he's resumed his coverage. I like his blog more than most.
I've offered to build him a real website.
I wish he'd... stop trying to do everything. All the time.
Today's camp impressions...instead of writing a paragraph for everyone - and there's no way that everyone made an impression today - nobody can watch that many guys and keep shit straight, write impressions about players people are interested in. The players pushing for jobs. The players who could be losing jobs.
Focus on 5-6 guys. Maybe even 10-12.
But 60?
When you focus on 60 guys, maybe you focus on none. So your Svechnikov writeup ends up useless.
A puzzle wrapped up in an enigma, what do the Red Wings have in the 23-year-old winger who stands at 6’3″ and 212 pounds? Svechnikov was drafted as a point-per-game-potential player, but the big Russian blew out his ACL last year, negating a full year’s worth of development, and at this point it appears that he’s more likely to find himself among the Wings’ litany of grinding, checking forwards. Does Svechnikov have more to bring to the table? Skill-wise, his shot and passing abilities are there, but can he apply them consistently?
That's not an impression.
That's a narrative.
I want to know how his skating looked. How his confident he looked. Was he tentative? Or going full bore.
Instead, we got something he could have written before camp. Or after camp.

And then tomorrow, you could switch to 5-6 or 10-12 other guys.
Or focus on guys who stood out or surprised.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Malik's a good guy. And I'm glad he's resumed his coverage. I like his blog more than most.
I've offered to build him a real website.
I wish he'd... stop trying to do everything. All the time.
Today's camp impressions...instead of writing a paragraph for everyone - and there's no way that everyone made an impression today - nobody can watch that many guys and keep **** straight, write impressions about players people are interested in. The players pushing for jobs. The players who could be losing jobs.
Focus on 5-6 guys. Maybe even 10-12.
But 60?
When you focus on 60 guys, maybe you focus on none. So your Svechnikov writeup ends up useless.

That's not an impression.
That's a narrative.
I want to know how his skating looked. How his confident he looked. Was he tentative? Or going full bore.
Instead, we got something he could have written before camp. Or after camp.

And then tomorrow, you could switch to 5-6 or 10-12 other guys.
Or focus on guys who stood out or surprised.
we know mal's isnt the most highly polished reporter , but hes got a nice down home civilized touch to his style . and he realized what us redwing fans needed then started hacking away at the job and carved out a very nice niche for himself ands providing wing fans with a great stream of redwing info . and yes ide love if he allowed you to rebuild his trash website , his malik report would then get very legit .

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess and I do read his stuff, but just keep in mind Malik will hate on a kid if he chews tobacco or doesn't want to give him a lot of time. I think he has gotten a little better but that has always been a part of the salt I take some of his assessments with.

If he really likes or dislikes a guy you can kind of tell he won't report on them with the same credibility of the professional crew.

Reactions: Darkseider

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I know it's a bit late, but here's a group of post-practice interviews via Kukla's Korner:

Abel to Yzerman - Kukla's Korner

In my opinion, of note:
I think Blash is finally starting to find his own voice... I don't know if it was a Holland thing or a post-Babcock thing, but it really feels like he's ready to make his own way. Obviously we'll have to see how the coaching shakes out over the season, but I'm slightly more encouraged than last season.

Art just can't let anyone get a word in edgewise, can he? Definitely a personality for radio. HSJ is almost as bad.

That's all I've got. No hard-hitting analYsis from me, definitely not smart enough.
just watched the blash interveiw and yes it looks like hes stabilizing , i watched everything griffs on internet his time there and always seen him with an nhl future . plus he just nailed the new nickname ' sides'

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I guess and I do read his stuff, but just keep in mind Malik will hate on a kid if he chews tobacco or doesn't want to give him a lot of time. I think he has gotten a little better but that has always been a part of the salt I take some of his assessments with.

If he really likes or dislikes a guy you can kind of tell he won't report on them with the same credibility of the professional crew.
yes mal's could use a teammate of higher iq to polish him up a little bit .

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's borderline haunting the level of brainpower coming through the Detroit media during segments and scrums.

There needs to be changes, or one of the players is going to have an aneurysm.

Reactions: Ricelund

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The biggest thing for me is how the defense shakes out. Will it be the same old, same old or will we see some youth mixed into the lineup? Hronek should make the team but does another younger d-man make it into the rotation?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
It's borderline haunting the level of brainpower coming through the Detroit media during segments and scrums.

There needs to be changes, or one of the players is going to have an aneurysm.
rofl . truer words never spoken . its like somebodys trying to make it a ridiculous scene on purpose .

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yeah. I still like him over the other major bloggers, like WIIM.
And let's be real. HSJ does the same thing as Malik - in a different way, and more nuanced.
But she's actually well paid and should be bound by the ethics of her profession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->