OT: Unofficial Merchandise, Blogs, & Podcasts - Billy Smith on Spittin' Chiclets

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
They released a special bonus episode of NSTB today for Athletics subscribers only (this will happen on Fridays), with Parrish and Staple telling stories from the Isles/Leafs series of '02 (Staple covered it as the Leafs' beat writer for Newsday.) I'll post highlights after I listen to it.

• Parrish talked about what it was like to return to the Coliseum down 0-2. He said the sound of the fans made the team want to rip the doors off and get on the ice. Said it was like a shotgun went off to motivate them.
  • Said he was playing with a broken stick when he scored in G3, and was holding the stick at the break to avoid getting a penalty.
  • Talked about the Bates penalty shot. Said his hair was standing on end talking about it. Said they were worried that the ice was bad and Bates would stick to a simple move to avoid losing the puck. Said the building was so loud the bench was literally shaking, and Laviolette had to push them off the bench to take the next faceoff because they couldn't hear him.
  • Parrish said Cairns' nickname was the Lion. He said that the fight against Corson was everything the Isles needed to do, as everything they felt about the injuries to Jonsson and Peca was expressed in that beating Cairns dealt out.
  • Said he still second-guesses and wonders what would have happened if Peca and Jonsson hadn't been injured.
  • A listener asked for a Kvasha story from Parrish. "He was very misunderstood." He was very smart and sarcastic. He would claim he couldn't speak English, but was conversant. He was very funny. Kvasha was talking about some mafia-esque guys at a bar, and Kvasha says they aren't tough like the Russian mob. He goes over and starts getting in their face and they drag him out of the bar, behind the building. The Isles are wondering what's going on. Turns out, they were mafia. Russian mafia. And friends of Kvasha. He was pulling a joke on his teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: teknics

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Brent Sopel was a guest on the Spittin Chiclets podcast this week. Had a couple of islander tales to tell. If you get a chance check it out. It’s about an hour into the show.

Quick recap,
-he talks about Yashin being cheap, having lunch with the owner, and not really caring what others think.

-Joked about dipietro going directly to the owner to get his 15 year contract.

-Discussed the incident that led to his jettison out of town.

-also discusses his habits before games and finding Out 10 years ago he is dyslexic.

RA, Whitney, and Biz do a great job getting I interesting stuff out of their guests v

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Brent Sopel was a guest on the Spittin Chiclets podcast this week. Had a couple of islander tales to tell. If you get a chance check it out. It’s about an hour into the show.

Quick recap,
-he talks about Yashin being cheap, having lunch with the owner, and not really caring what others think.

-Joked about dipietro going directly to the owner to get his 15 year contract.

-Discussed the incident that led to his jettison out of town.

-also discusses his habits before games and finding Out 10 years ago he is dyslexic.

RA, Whitney, and Biz do a great job getting I interesting stuff out of their guests v

Just listened to the Islanders bit, unbelievable how bad Yashin was as a leader. Asking teammates for $5 per guy to pay for a flight is absurd for a guy who made the kind of money he did. As a fan I've wondered how bad it really was because all we ever get is hearsay through a game of telephone where it went through 20 people before it gets to us. Hearing the players talk about it really just shows how crazy it really was.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
After the couple of weeks I’ve had with a death in the family, was blown away yesterday when Katie Strang shouted me out on Stape’s podcast.

I have a few guests up my sleeve here as the podcast returns. You guys are gonna love it.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
After the couple of weeks I’ve had with a death in the family, was blown away yesterday when Katie Strang shouted me out on Stape’s podcast.

I have a few guests up my sleeve here as the podcast returns. You guys are gonna love it.

I'm sorry to hear that and I hope the family is doing better each day. Haven't listened to Strang's yet, but just cleared out a few of the Athletic's podcasts on my backlog. I enjoy hearing the stories about former players and what goes on behind the scenes, like the Capuano yelling match with Staple or Staple's run in with Tavares about a tweet he put out.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
19 days between episodes due to unfortunate circumstances, but back with Episode 39 featuring Mike Tracey (@isles_life on Twitter, aka the ticket giveaway guy).

Mike and his fiancée Sara were recently featured on the Islanders website for everything they’ve gone through together and what they do for fans.

I know I used a similar title for both recent episodes, but it was late when I finished (lol)

We go into a lot of depth about the Isles, Mike’s a very knowledgeable fan!

Talking Streaks And More With Mike Tracey - The Isles Faithful

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
The athletic is don’t a series of articles to highlight the end of the decade. Staple had the best isles of the 2010’s, good piece. Saw this on Twitter, made me laugh,

Most Forgettable

hat tip @islesblog

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
In looking for a youth Barzal jersey, I stumbled across officialnewyorkislanders.com. Says its Islanders Official Online Store. But selling jerseys for 80% off? Seems suspect. Anyone know if this is a legit Islanders gear site?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In looking for a youth Barzal jersey, I stumbled across officialnewyorkislanders.com. Says its Islanders Official Online Store. But selling jerseys for 80% off? Seems suspect. Anyone know if this is a legit Islanders gear site?

All team gear is sold through the NHL shop or official retailers like Lids or Fanatics I'm pretty sure, but doesn't mean you won't get a knockoff product for cheap.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Anyone know of a place on L.I. I can get a 91 jersey changed from that a$$hat to Goring? It's an authentic jersey so it wasn't cheap to begin with. Thought I'd heard a few years back that there was a booth at the Coli where they would strip an old jersey down and put new numbers/name on it.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
At Stew Leonard’s. They also carry Barn Rocker.

Attachments

• 34238758-F0B3-4474-8378-842BAFF381D2.jpeg
    34238758-F0B3-4474-8378-842BAFF381D2.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 17

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I feel like I’m always pumping the tires for The Spittin Chiclets podcast here but this week they spoke to Trevor Gillies. At the 1 hour and 40 minute mark they discussed the Penguin/Islanders brawl game.

‎Spittin Chiclets on Apple Podcasts

Another interesting note, earlier in the interview he discussed wanting to shave his mustache, he had it in the minors for a goof with another player, but Garth Snow said no way.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I feel like I’m always pumping the tires for The Spittin Chiclets podcast here but this week they spoke to Trevor Gillies. At the 1 hour and 40 minute mark they discussed the Penguin/Islanders brawl game.

‎Spittin Chiclets on Apple Podcasts

Another interesting note, earlier in the interview he discussed wanting to shave his mustache, he had it in the minors for a goof with another player, but Garth Snow said no way.

I'm currently listening to this episode but haven't gotten to the interview yet. Really looking forward to it and I'll be listening to it tonight.

Edit: Just finished hearing his account of fight night, jeeeeez he's a mutant and not remorseful at all. I'm a little surprised about that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->