Unlikely Draft Scenario

RedWingsNow*

How can the 2002 defence be average if there was current Norris Trophy Winner and another candidate? :D :laugh:

It was a good defence, not great, but definitely not average either.

Lidström - Olausson
Fischer - Chelios
Duschene - Dandenault

Duschene and Olausson were over 1000 game realiable NHL veterans, great puckmoving defencemen. Only Dandenault was a weak link of that group.

I'd say the 1998 was maybe the weakest, but very hard to think that as an average either.

Lidström - Murphy
Fetisov - Eriksson :cry:
Macoun - Rouse

I have no problem considering those defenses average.

98 was actually below average.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Maybe on paper those defenses seemed average, but in practice they were actually pretty good.

The 1997-98 team was 7th in GA at 2.39. Buffalo was 3rd at 2.28 (NJ and Dallas were both under 2.1).
The 2001-02 team was even better at 4th in GA at 2.28. Edmonton was 2nd at 2.22 (Avs were at 2.06).

Not dominant defenses, but I'm not sure they were just merely average or below average either. It's hard to call a top 5/top 10 defense in the entire league no better than average for that season. What exactly is your bar for an average defense if the #7 team in the league is considered below average in your eyes? The 2007-08 Cup winner was only a 2.18 GA (1st). Really the Cup winning teams had good to excellent defenses. If you want to point to a team with an average defense you really need to focus on the 2008-09 team. Lost in Game 7 to the Pens with the 21st ranked defense (2.93 GA).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still the Norris Trophy guy is playing there 30 minutes a night. 1/4 of all defensive minutes. Like that 2002 season. And Chelios was a Norris nominee, and played 25minutes a night.

If we have two of the best league defencemen, and they play half of the game, all the other 3-4-5-6 defencemen together have to be almost league worst defencemen, if you want to count that that as average. Only Dandenault went that category.

Bob is just trolling, as usual.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
A question from the curious... If indeed the season is lost and they do in fact use a lottery system to determine draft order... Does that make 1st rounders more valuable because they have a chance at being a top 10 pick or less valuable since they could just as easily become pick #30?

Aug 6, 2012
A question from the curious... If indeed the season is lost and they do in fact use a lottery system to determine draft order... Does that make 1st rounders more valuable because they have a chance at being a top 10 pick or less valuable since they could just as easily become pick #30?

My guess is more valuable because there's a chance to be a top 10 pick.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
My guess is more valuable because there's a chance to be a top 10 pick.

It's an interesting thing to ponder... I would lean towards saying they are more valuable because of that... But you have to wonder... 1 Lottery ball gives you essentially anywhere between 1%-3% of a good pick, 2 gets you something like 4%-6% and three get you a 6%-8% chance if I remember my math... So there's not even a 10% chance of a good draft position either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->