Unless Russia reverses, I would not draft a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Levitate said:
you think $10 mill is fair compensation? for a player that may be nothing in the NHL?

i could be wrong but i think only one team, or a few teams in the RSL, actually have a lot of money.
What do the Russians care what a player will be in the NHL? Perhaps he is a star in Russia. If that talent translates in the NHL is not their concern. Argument works vice versa of course, but this site seems to be forgotten.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
You're a bit off when you day they are holding the players to ransom. These kids have contracts in Russia or where ever they are, the same as it is in most sports here in Europe. When players are traded here, the team that wants to player has to buyout the contract to the club; a transfere fee. They then work out there own contract, if they can, with the player.

Some times the teams don't have to pay the team, as they allow the player to leave, maybe because he doesn't fit in, or he's not worth very much to them. They other time the play leaves on a free is when his contract is up.

Under the old deal, I believe that the NHL team said 'I want him', and he'll be sent out to the US or Canada with out much going to the team. If the same player were to be traded with in Europe, then the teams would have been asking for much more the what they get.

I'm all for the Russians in this. I also hope that all the leagues in Europe take a note of this and reject the next deal that is given. (I think all the other agreed to the deal.) As soon as the NHL work out that there are other leagues in the world that do things different, then well be getting some where. The NHL has to stop just taking the players that they want. If they want a player from Europe, then they should use the European method of getting him, no some special 'I'm in the NHL so give me your player for next to nothing' rule.

Here are artcles from Russia on the topic. I'll post the translations of the first two in my next posts.

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2005/08/a_336619.shtml
http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2005/08/a_336752.shtml

I've got a couple more to post, but I'll translate them first. I don't think many of people have bothered to learn Russian.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
This is the first article, it was traslated by Ahti over at Allducks:

Russian league does not sign contract with NHL as it sees in shameful for Russians.

Russian league press atache quit. Rene Fasel (President of IIHF) warned Russians, but without any result. President of Russian Federation of Ice Hockey considered new deal with NHL economically good (Russian clubs would have got $ 150,000 more than under previous contract).

"Can we make the contract better or just say Yes or No to that," asked Shabdurasulov (Spartak), " it is very important to undertand why we gathered here!".

Steblin said that all answers will be taken into account.

Velichkin (Metallurg Magnitogorsk): "It means we can refuse the contract in current form? Yes, but then we are unprotected against NHL. They still can steal our players and we will get nothing!"

Vaisfeld (Lada): "What happends if we do not sign the contract?"

Steblin: "I guess nothing..."

Velichkin shouted: "In any case we will get abused by NHL. "

Tikhonov: "If we sign they will keep us in slavery for next 5 years. In 11 years we have not been able to find common language with NHL and once again we age given only 3 days to quickly sign."

Steblin: "It is not like that!"

Tikhonov: "It is exactly that. Once again only NHL benefits from this contract. It is total madness. We are given bare gift of 4 million $."

Steblin: "Let's do it without emotions, let's speak in a calm voice. - I am on Your side!"

Velichkin: "Ok let's do it without emotions. We have to answer the question if we are citizens of our country? Viktor Tikhonov tells the truth! This joke is pushed to our faces. We are abused with this contract. It is absolutely impossible to discuss with NHL. They do not take us as human beings. They think we are monkeys, who do not need to be talked with. I do not like this new contract at all."

Steblin: "Do we have any suggestions?"

Velichkin: "It is visible that NHL is afraid of us. We saw the "real value" of the "best league in the World" players at lockout days. There is 5 % of real stars and the rest of the guys are not better than the players who play in Russian league. And if we are demanded to sign, we can just step out of IIHF."

Steblin: "No, that is not necessary!"

Velichkin: "Let's lose some money, but let's not lose our pride! Contract in current form can not be signed! I'm against!"

Jakovlev (Lokomotiv): "We are considered to be idiots. We are blackmailed. This contract offered by NHL is just ridiculous. And how can we once again sign a new contract withot getting ready. Year ago we wrote down our suggestions. Where are they? They we not even looked at."

Shalaev (RHL): "They are in my computer!"

Jakovlev (Lokomotiv): "After signing this contract I do not understand why should I keep school for youth? For American league? For Fasel? I do not need that!"

Steblin: "If the question is how the $$$ will be divided, then this is yet under discussion."

Ak Bars representative: "Let's show them teeth!"

Tikhonov: "I vote no for contract!"

Titov (Moscow Dynamo): "But we are in favour of the contract, but not in current form though."

Shabdurasulov: "We should not only reject contract, but also consider our next steps. We must gather all teams, pay to lawyers, who can win in court in America. Make NHL honour our contracts."

Velichkin: "They are stealing our players, but now we can steal theirs! We can easily give better contracts than clubs overseas and better deals."

Shabdurasulov: "Most important is not just to stop here, but to go all the way!"

Shalaev: "We do not stand a chance in American court, I asked their lawyers. I will not even tell You what all did we discuss, but lawyers tell, we do not face a chance."

Vaisfeld: "I am afraid of such question. If we do not honour their contracts as they do not honour ours, what will happend? Now we have Aleksandr Semin who has contract with Washington. We could be punished for that."

Steblin: "I think - not. They will take it to court, nothing happends before that. Teams for sure will not be punished, maybe only (if) player."

Vote was taken. Unanimous no for contract.

Steblin called Fasel: "Hello Rene! How do You do? Why? We voted against contract, what will happend to us Rene?"

Presidents: "Let Bettham fly here! We will have negotiations in here with him. At Lubyanka (famous prison in Moscow, KGB torture arena). And on airport he will be met by representatives of HK MVD (hockey team of ministry of internal affairs, most probable home of Oleg Tverdovsky next season)! They will be much more negotiable in America!"

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Here's the second one. I translated this myself.

Vice-president of the PHL, Vladimir Shalaev, has told to the newspaper that Russia will refuse the of ratification of the contract from NHL.

Q. Which managers have question or disagreed with the contract with the NHL?
A. All the presidents have expressed unanimously: the contract doesn’t look good to have an arrangement with the Russian clubs.

Q. Than they did not accept the draft of the contract?
A. The league considers, that there should be a contract between the Super League and NHL inexistence. But not the kind that was offer us because of an ocean. The contract should take into account all wishes of both parties, cover all interests. And to us have thrown this, saying here, take it. The NHL wanted to steel the rising generation. We could not agree with it.

Q. That is clear. But what will happen next? Will any negotiations will carry on?
A. The main thing the NHL should understand, is that we at all do not want to enter confrontation with them. We now want to begin some negotiations. First of all, we shall meet the management of the IIHF, we shall discuss the situation with them. Then we shall begin negotiations and with NHL.

Q. How can punish Russia for this? For example, outlawed from the international competitions?
A. No, such measure is excluded. Russia will participate in the world championship and Olympic Games.

Q. What else questions were discussed by presidents besides the contract from NHL?
A. We solved the problem on creation of association of employees. Have removed disagreements in a question of cooperation between the Federation and the Super League. Unfortunately, some questions have still remained. Besides the issue of a reduction of a ban to the hockey player Andrey Nazarov. But the majority of the presidents have decided to not change the initial decision. The player cannot take part in the Russian competitions for this year. And last Vyacheslav Bulanov, the best Referee from last season has told to us about innovations in rules.

Q. And what is not so smooth with relations between the Super League and Federation?
A. We had two conciliatory commissions which did not come to a common opinion. In particular, on a question who will develop and assert internal documents of league. Representatives of Federation want to be engaged in all of it. But, I think, here to the general denominator we shall come faster, than in a question from NHL.

Q. Still, you discussed the question concerning the forming a potion union of employees. What is it’s state?
A. It is a new organization establishment which is stipulated by the law. She will act in the role of negotiator with trade unions.

Q. That is we are available to strike? We have a trade union of players, there is a union of employers...
A. No, there will be no strike. The fact is that in Russian law there is no such norm. There are strikes, but it already something another.

Q. You still should consider a question on televising the of Russian Championship. There are any news on this subject?
A. The channel "Sports" will this year show a minimum of 120 matches of the Russian Championship. Besides hockey can be seen on the channel "NTV-PLUS"

Liquidrage*

Meriadoc Brandybuck said:
The hypocrisy is ridiculous.

From now on, any player on any NHL team can move to any other team without compensation, because thats the right thing to do. Don't like your contract? Well your team can't keep you hostage by trying to trade your rights instead of letting you live your dream. A contract is a bloody contract, regardless whether its in Russian, English, or Zulu.

If they want to go to new league at any time SURE. Let them.
Within a league, no. A league has a right to govern itself. But sure, let players jump leagues at their whim with no comp. I'm totally FINE with that.

You shouldn't be making empty claims like trying to point out non-existant hypocrisy when you very clearly have a bias.

Liquidrage*

Kimi3013 said:
I'm all for the Russians in this. I also hope that all the leagues in Europe take a note of this and reject the next deal that is given. (I think all the other agreed to the deal.) As soon as the NHL work out that there are other leagues in the world that do things different, then well be getting some where. The NHL has to stop just taking the players that they want. If they want a player from Europe, then they should use the European method of getting him, no some special 'I'm in the NHL so give me your player for next to nothing' rule.

Nah. We should use the American method of getting them.

Screw you. Your demands. We aint paying crap. Screw the IIHF, don't care. Free market, welcome to capitolism.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Kimi3013 said:
Jakovlev (Lokomotiv): "After signing this contract I do not understand why should I keep school for youth? For American league? For Fasel? I do not need that!"

thats the point !

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I want to add something here about the fee the Russians want to have paid to them. If Ovechkin was a football player of the same skills and potential, then a team would have to play upward of $25M USD to even get a team thinking about letting him go. I know hockey isn't as bing in the way of money, but still they would be asking for at least $2M USD.

And Liquidrage, you've got a bias to the north american way. In NA, you sign an contract to the NHL, not really to the club. In Europe, you sign a contract so the club and not the League. The means that the player are attached to them team, adn the the league.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Liquidrage said:
Nah. We should use the American method of getting them.

Screw you. Your demands. We aint paying crap. Screw the IIHF, don't care. Free market, welcome to capitolism.
If you Screw the IIHF, then there is no NA way of getting then and you'll be forced to buy the players.

Also, I don't think it's been mentiond. But players could still have NHL out parts to their contracts, these would still let them go to NA if they wanted to avoid the fees. But the Russian clubs could easily stop signing player who want these.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Here is another article from Russia. I've translated it, but I used a program to do most of it, lazyness. You can get the jist of it from it though. Link in Russian

Yesterday Russia has actually declared war of NHL - presidents of clubs of the Super League with the overwhelming majority did not ratify the new agreement between the IIHF and the NHL.

Certainly, they all wait for fierce debate on this uneasy subject, and assumed that our clubs will act as a united front, even the most courageous could not, probably, forecast.

Unexpectedness have begun from the first minutes of session of board of a Super League. First members of board have voted admitting journalists in a hall, - similar in practice of the Russian hockey at discussion of so important question happened hardly probable not for the first time. To tell the truth, president FHR Alexander Steblin has noticed, that some moments should be closed for press, but the general director of Magnitogorsk "Metallurgist" Gennady Velichkin has supported journalists who in a result have remained in a hall.

Soon were present has shaken all the same Steblin which, opening session, has told: " If you wait, that management FHR begins to force to sign you the agreement deeply be mistaken. I shall take part your position entirely and completely. Nevertheless I consider necessary to note what to sign the contract nevertheless it is necessary ". Running forward, we shall notice, that Steblin has not constrained the word and during discussion over and over again reminded of the position.

At once it became clear, that at the new agreement of supporters in Russia is not present. Almost all presidents spoke that the contract regulating the attitudes of NHL with Europe, is necessary, but the offered variant does not maintain any criticism. " NHL many years counted us monkeys, - stated Velichkin. - But now it is necessary to rise from our knees! " The greatest indignation at were present has caused that fact, that across the ocean they still do not wish to recognize the Russian contracts. Many clubs, where hockey schools work productively, the scanty sum of indemnifications offered by NHL does not cover it.

During discussion only "Dynamo" has supported signing the contract. Representing white-blue general manager Michael Titov has explained the position to that in default from ratification of the agreement the club will not receive for departure Ovechkina to "Washington" Capitals. However during voting for discussion the question on refusal of ratification of the contract, therefore Titov's voice have been exposed only appeared not taken into account though it has been declared, that he is against signing the contract but still have voted unanimously.

" I can assume, than this decision can threaten us, - Steblin has noted. - For the beginning us will exclude from Euroround ". The telephone bridge with president of the IIHF Ren Fazelem has been there and then established. " Well, you have expressed the attitude to this document, - has told Fazel. - However nobody is going to exclude because of it Russia from the international calendar. Here only, in my opinion, your decision will create legal chaos ".

Having found out, that how serious our country does not expect anything, presidents have a little deviated a discussed question. The offer that it is necessary to create independent league on similarity of NHL has sounded and to talk to transatlantic bosses in their language. To tell the truth, it has caused only laughter.

" Here we experience concerning that behind ocean do not respect our laws, - has exacted promise Velichkin. - And we respect them? Whether many of us prepare to what since a season - 06/07 budgets of all clubs should be transparent? From its part I can tell, that "Metallurgist" though tomorrow is ready to publish the full budget of club, including sheets of salaries. We have wiped up all dark a stain, have cleaned roundabout schemes of calculations. To tell the truth, in some contracts there were so-called confidential items, but after terms of these contracts no secrets any more will exist. In general, would suggest to clean from contracts any confidentiality ".

The theme was continued by vice-president PHL Vladimir Shalaev: " you frequently do not execute you the accepted laws! In due time all presidents have voted for position according to which after the first five years' agreement the following contract with the hockey player should consist for three years. To us every year bring year contracts which we are compelled to register ". - " And you do not register ", - the president of "Locomotive" Jury Jakovlev parried.

" On the basis of that the league registers agreements if the rules of it does not allow? - the president of Fund of support of national command "Spartak" Igor Shabdurasulov has supported JAkovleva. - It is necessary to check up prior to the beginning of a season, whether many similar infringements, and the most serious image to ask from people concluding such contracts ". - " Unfortunately, sometimes we give in on a bluff from the party players and their agents, - has noticed JAkovlev. - there Comes the hockey player and speaks, that not begins to conclude the three-year contract, and is ready to put the signature only under the year agreement, giving reason it is that such contract with other club otherwise will sign. With similar it is necessary to finish ".

" To admit, I only after the termination of the last season have learned, that the document accepted two years ago is not executed, - has entered conversation Steblin. - Henceforth I forbid to register such contracts. And dissatisfied send to me ".

Put the end under the first part of session, president FHR has declared a break during which journalists could receive comments of representatives of clubs.

" The essence of the today's decision can be reduced to the following, - president "Spartaka" Vyacheslav Starshinov has emphasized. - NHL will steal players from us, and we - at it "." And for the beginning we already now shall steal at NHL Jagra and we shall look, that the transatlantic party " will undertake, - director of "Avant guarde" has told on legal and agency questions Vladimir Saraev. " In the circumstances there is only one way of conversation from NHL - it is necessary to interrupt financial offers of commands of this league ", - Shabdurasulov has supported the representative of Omsk club.

JUDICIAL INNOVATIONS

Besides were present have heard the best Russian arbitrator of the last season Vyacheslav Bulanov who after an output from a hall has answered questions of correspondents "SE".

- In the performance on board I informed about a number of innovations which judicial committee FHR recommends to bring to the appendix to the rules of competitions. First, in disputable episodes the judge is recommended to use only those chambers which are deduced on the monitor, that is that are established behind a gate and above them. Records of operators of commands to use it is forbidden. Secondly, bullity in series plej-off should be carried out in one gate - what chooses the main judge. Thirdly, "fish" is henceforth offered to be named simulation with removal of corresponding punishment. And, at last, fourthly, a gate should be equipped with special rubber cartridges that they during game were not shifted. Presidents of clubs have accepted our amendments.

Besides judicial committee FHR recommends plej-off to use the judge who becomes otsmatrivat on all monitors disputable episodes on matches and to phone the decision to the main arbitrator. The given innovation will consider on the following board of a superleague at the end of August.

- The question on two main judges was not considered?

- Any offers in this occasion has not sounded.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I don't mind the idea of being offered compensation, at least if a player is under contract. The notion that a team can go raid another without compensation seems a bit rude. My concern is that the Russian teams will hold their players hostage. I remember a few years back a Russian prospect (I can't remember who)was basically coerced into signing a long contract if he wanted to play at all, then when he was drafted and wanted to come to the NHL, the team would have no part of it, since he had signed a long-term contract, even though he really didn't want to. This type of incident is what bothers me. The players should honor their contracts, but they shouldn't be forced to sign ones they don't want to.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
How does this work in the European soccer world? Did Barcelona have to pay transfer fees to Brazil when they got Ronaldo way back in the late 90's? Is the Russian model based on a soccer model, or totally unrelated?

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Nope Barselona paid nothing to Brazil-Club/Sao Paolo i think because PSV Eindhoven did that ! I dont know how much but they paid enough trust me ! And than Barcelona bouth Ronaldo from Eindhoven hmmmmmmmm they paid abot 30-40 Millions !

The RSL-Clubs dont ask for so much money !

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
The hypocrisy is ridiculous...

From now on, any player on any NHL team can move to any other team without compensation, because thats the right thing to do.

And your analogy is horrible...

You are trying to compare current NHL players to a kid who has never played a NHL game in his life.

I don't care how good he is, nobody deserves $10million just to bring a kid over seas. That is completely out of line.

If the kid signed a contract with no way out then shame on him and his agent.

Russian prospects would not be on my radar for next year.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Presidents: "Let Bettham fly here! We will have negotiations in here with him. At Lubyanka (famous prison in Moscow, KGB torture arena). And on airport he will be met by representatives of HK MVD (hockey team of ministry of internal affairs, most probable home of Oleg Tverdovsky next season)! They will be much more negotiable in America!"
Heh. I've always loved the Russians for their gusto. The Ministry of Internal Affairs has a hockey team?! Sounds like something we'd have seen under the Soviets. Do they skate around in suits with earpieces in?

But seriously, I admire the Russians for what they're doing, but there needs to be some restraint shown. Players under contract should generate compensation for the teams that lose them, but that opens up the possibilty that Russian clubs will simply abuse their players and force young guys (who don't yet have the option of playing in North America) to sign long-term deals in order to be assured of compensation. I have no idea what Russian labor laws are like.

Transfer fees are all fine and good, but I think some of what is happening here is that the Russian hockey federation is trying to attack the NHL at a moment of weakness and get more than a fair deal. They should be careful. The NHL owners have quite a lot of solidarity these days and more than enough resources to give the Russians an unfair fight in court. I'm not really sure what would happen with transfers if no agreement exists between the leagues. Could we end up back in an '80's environment in which Russian players sneak out of the country at midnight for greener pastures in North America?

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Wingman said:
And your analogy is horrible...

You are trying to compare current NHL players to a kid who has never played a NHL game in his life.

I don't care how good he is, nobody deserves $10million just to bring a kid over seas. That is completely out of line.

He is comparing a current NHL player to a current RSL player. No one in Russia cares that he didn't not play a game in the NHL.

10million for a kid maybe out of line -- NHL teams are not as rich as soccer clubs. But $150,000-700,000 for a player after years of development, and without Russian clubs being able to refuse a transfer, is simply ridiculous.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Sturminator said:
Players under contract should generate compensation for the teams that lose them, but that opens up the possibilty that Russian clubs will simply abuse their players and force young guys (who don't yet have the option of playing in North America) to sign long-term deals in order to be assured of compensation.
OMG ! An unproved player "forced" to a lucrative long-term deal with the club he's always dreamed of playing for ! Frightening.

Looks a lot like the NHL, btw.

Sturminator said:
Transfer fees are all fine and good, but I think some of what is happening here is that the Russian hockey federation is trying to attack the NHL at a moment of weakness and get more than a fair deal.
No, they've been singing the same tune for years now. And the NHL being the strongest league in the world is the very reason why its clubs do not have to pay transfer fees.

Sturminator said:
I'm not really sure what would happen with transfers if no agreement exists between the leagues. Could we end up back in an '80's environment in which Russian players sneak out of the country at midnight for greener pastures in North America?
Or merely back to when Montreal had to pay CSKA $300000 for Kostitsin ?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
How does this work in the European soccer world? Did Barcelona have to pay transfer fees to Brazil when they got Ronaldo way back in the late 90's? Is the Russian model based on a soccer model, or totally unrelated?
In soccer you have a compensation. For every transfer of the player, the club that developed him gets money according to how much the transferfee was.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Pantokrator said:

Back in the early nineties there was a diffrent system in place,
but Ronaldo was bought from dutch club PSV. PSV payed good money (10-15 million?) to get Ronaldo when he was 17.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
To all the people that think the russian clubs deserve no compensation.

What if an young NHL player (Nash... Crosby?:P) decides he wants to go play in Russia because oi-millionaire X will pay him lots. However, he is under contract.

Don't you think the contract should be bought out by the club? Or at least some (significant) compensation payed?

900k for elite talent is peanuts...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vladiator said:
He is comparing a current NHL player to a current RSL player. No one in Russia cares that he didn't not play a game in the NHL.

10million for a kid maybe out of line -- NHL teams are not as rich as soccer clubs. But $150,000-700,000 for a player after years of development, and without Russian clubs being able to refuse a transfer, is simply ridiculous.
And the players get no say?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
OMG ! An unproved player "forced" to a lucrative long-term deal with the club he's always dreamed of playing for ! Frightening.

um, if his dream was to play in the NHL but he was forced into a long term contract by a russian team because he couldn't play anywhere else at the moment, it kinda ends up being a different scenario than the one you just painted.

To all the people that think the russian clubs deserve no compensation.

no one said that and it really pisses me off when people pull crap like that. dont' put up straw men to try to enhance your argument. it's pathetic.

I think the NHL and IIHF need to do better than to just up the ante by $170k or whatever it was...a couple of mill isn't a hard price to pay for most NHL teams if they really want their top drafted talent to break contract and come to the NHL. the other option being, wait until they're not under contract, which is ultimately what a lot of teams might do, and which ultimately might lead to many long term contracts in the RSL. which would be a shame for the players who want to play in the NHL

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
jekoh said:

I don't know who put a bug up your ass, but you can get off mine, bud. I'm as inclined to support the Russian Hockey Federation in this as any North American poster you'll find here.

And there are limits on the term of NHL entry contracts. I believe the longest entry contract currently allowed by the new CBA is four years. I don't know what the labor laws are in Russia or even if Russian hockey players have a union similar to that which exists in North America. I'm not accusing Russian clubs of being underhanded - only suggesting that the possibilty exists that youngsters could be signed to contracts of unreasonable term as a way of trapping them in Russia.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Levitate said:
no one said that and it really pisses me off when people pull crap like that. dont' put up straw men to try to enhance your argument. it's pathetic.

Screw you. Your demands. We aint paying crap. Screw the IIHF, don't care. Free market, welcome to capitolism.[/qoute]

Although to be fair... he was being an idiot. ;)

However, does that make my point invalid?

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Sturminator said:
And there are limits on the term of NHL entry contracts. I believe the longest entry contract currently allowed by the new CBA is four years. I don't know what the labor laws are in Russia or even if Russian hockey players have a union similar to that which exists in North America. I'm not accusing Russian clubs of being underhanded - only suggesting that the possibilty exists that youngsters could be signed to contracts of unreasonable term as a way of trapping them in Russia.

Players are always free to sign or not to sign a contract. Players can refuse to sign long contracts if they want to go the NHL. It's something that the players and the clubs have to work out.

I don't know how holding the rights to a player works in Russia though, if it's like in football players can sign anywhere with only a compensation for the youth system the player came out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad