University of St. Thomas Approved for D1 Hockey

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The reformed CCHA starts the same time St. Thomas goes D1. They have two Minnesota schools in Bemidji State and Minnesota State-Mankato. Only seven members total. More than reasonable travel since UAF, UAA, and UAH will be discourse. The conference have been actively looking for an 8th member. I’m surprised they haven’t joined yet.

Legitimately forgot about that. Everything announced pre-covid feels like a freaking lifetime ago.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
July 23, 2020
Plenty of Challenges Lie Ahead For St. Thomas
Work To Do To Build Off Solid Foundation
by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor ...

St. Thomas' entry into Division I, starting next season (2021-22), will probably be a bit easier than, say, Long Island University.

For one, it has a long time established coach, and an existing roster. LIU has done a pretty good job piecing those two fronts together, but it will still be a while for it to all gel. St. Thomas also has an arena, and it will most likely have a conference; few people doubt that the CCHA will welcome the St. Paul, Minn.-based school with open arms.

But that doesn't mean it will all be smooth sailing. ...

Read more at: Plenty of Challenges Lie Ahead For St. Thomas

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

An inevitable announcement. I don't think I read a single article predicting a different outcome. Both the conference and the school are in the right place in the right time to make it work. CCHA gets their desired eighth member and St. Thomas gets their DI men's hockey conference. Let's hope everyone rides out the COVID wave to see them in action.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looking at google maps and a few pictures, their arena is defined best as a rec rink. Looks better than Arizona State's current rec rink arena though. But my it's quite a drive from their campus
Carpooling will be an option post-pandemic. :badidea:

Reactions: mk80

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Rumors do come true (sometimes) ... Rico Blasi hired to lead St. Thomas men's hockey into Division I era
... St. Thomas will formally introduce Blasi on Tuesday, April 6 at a 1 p.m. (Central time) news conference on its St. Paul campus.

Blasi, 49, averaged 20 wins a season over his 20-year era as Miami University head coach (1999-2019). The 2005-06 National Coach of the Year, Blasi took the Redhawks to 10 NCAA tournament appearances highlighted by one championship game berth (2008-09) and one other Frozen Four appearance (2009-10). ...

Blasi will make a return to the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA), where he won five league Coach of the Year honors during his first 14 seasons. The original CCHA disbanded after the 2012-13 season, but a new CCHA was announced this year. St. Thomas is one of eight members of the new CCHA which starts play in 2021-22. ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->