University Cup Host Possibilities

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
There is no one in the OUA who would be a capable host. Any city that has Major Junior hockey would be a bust in terms of fan support. Historically, most OUA teams do poorly at the Tournament and would probably be one and done.
I would like to see Ottawa or Montreal teams hosting, but that is just a wish.....

Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
There is no one in the OUA who would be a capable host. Any city that has Major Junior hockey would be a bust in terms of fan support. Historically, most OUA teams do poorly at the Tournament and would probably be one and done.
I would like to see Ottawa or Montreal teams hosting, but that is just a wish.....

Carleton would make a great host at the Ottawa Civic Centre, but I don't think they'd sell enough tickets. I remember when the Basketball Final 8 was hosted in Ottawa, and attendance was embarrassingly bad.

Zero chance McGill or Concordia bid, which is too bad because I think McConnell Arena would be a cool place for the University Cup. It's small, but oozes character.

I'm still expecting Ryerson to put in a bid one of these years. They have the venue that dreams are made of. Not sure why they haven't pushed harder.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Carleton would make a great host at the Ottawa Civic Centre, but I don't think they'd sell enough tickets. I remember when the Basketball Final 8 was hosted in Ottawa, and attendance was embarrassingly bad.

Zero chance McGill or Concordia bid, which is too bad because I think McConnell Arena would be a cool place for the University Cup. It's small, but oozes character.

I'm still expecting Ryerson to put in a bid one of these years. They have the venue that dreams are made of. Not sure why they haven't pushed harder.
McConnell Arena is way too small.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, McGill would have to host in a different arena. Since the Bell Centre is completely out of the question I’m not sure where.

Ryerson makes the most sense. Have no idea if they have even tried to submit a bid.

Lakehead has hosted before. They don’t have a major junior team to compete against but the program is very weak right now.

Carleton and Ottawa as twin hosts? I wouldn’t have a problem with it but doubt it would ever happen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

They have, a number of times, but they were only submitting one-time (single season) bids on years the CIS were requesting double bids. Because their submission did not meet the minimum 2-year commitment, the bids were not accepted.

I think they were hoping to be the only one to submit (and be selected by default).

Now that USPORTS has an appetite for 1-year bids, I can certainly see it happening.

I do love their rink. Stayed at the hotel beside it and dropped in for a quick look - it would be great.

Reactions: Rob and MiamiHockey

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ryerson would be great, however I don't think you can find a $70/night Comfort Inn anywhere within 100 miles of Toronto. Only guys like Drummer can afford to stay there.

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"They have, a number of times, but they were only submitting one-time (single season) bids on years the CIS were requesting double bids. Because their submission did not meet the minimum 2-year commitment, the bids were not accepted."

I could be wrong, but I think Ryerson bid with ACA and LETH the last time, but dropped out before they had to submit a detailed plan. The CIS, either by accident or design gave one year to LETH, which worked out well considering the Memorial Cup went to Halifax. ACA has one year as does UPEI.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Yeah, McGill would have to host in a different arena. Since the Bell Centre is completely out of the question I’m not sure where.

Ryerson makes the most sense. Have no idea if they have even tried to submit a bid.

Lakehead has hosted before. They don’t have a major junior team to compete against but the program is very weak right now.

Carleton and Ottawa as twin hosts? I wouldn’t have a problem with it but doubt it would ever happen.
Possibly the rink in Laval? It’s like 30 mins out of the way, but the bus runs to it.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Winnipeg gets a new WHL arena in a couple years, so there's a potential venue.

Zero chance the owners of the Winnipeg ICE want anything to do with the University Cup. They've got their own little hockey empire to worry about first.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Ryerson
Carleton
McGill
These 3, would be competitive hosts.

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What about UQTR? Isn't there a reasonably sized new Junior rink in Trois-Rivieres?

There may be, but can it support 8 teams? Can it support the TV folks? Are there enough hotel rooms for 8 teams? For 2000 plus visitors? How do you get there in mid March?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Zero chance the owners of the Winnipeg ICE want anything to do with the University Cup. They've got their own little hockey empire to worry about first.

Indeed. But they are using the U of M for at least two years. Could be a side deal to reciprocate favours down the road a bit.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There may be, but can it support 8 teams? Can it support the TV folks? Are there enough hotel rooms for 8 teams? For 2000 plus visitors? How do you get there in mid March?
All valid points, I'm afraid. More than one coach has told me that they need to go back to 6-team tournaments, if for no other reason than few rinks have 8 dressing rooms.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
All valid points, I'm afraid. More than one coach has told me that they need to go back to 6-team tournaments, if for no other reason than few rinks have 8 dressing rooms.
This should be on its own topic or site!
But since I have an opinion here it is. The 8 team, one and done format might work in Halifax. Three AUS teams with a good chance of one or two in the final. Anywhere else it is toooooo much of a financial risk. OUA hasn’t made it past game one in this new format... could be corrected, but if you host and lose out on Thursday night, there is nobody left to pay the bills for Friday Saturday and Sunday! Huge risk in my opinion.
Maybe you can secure sponsorship to help pay all the fixed costs? But I don’t see many hockey schools having that ability.
Holly I would love to see Manitoba bid on this event, but it is too risky in that market. Vancouver would be unreal especially now that they have a new toy to play with in their same town. But nobody goes to watch there! Too big of a place for a college sport to have any traction.
Put somewhere on the 401 or leave it in Halifax.
Two spots with lots of teams in the area.
OR
Change the format!
I cannot imagine that the AD’s or CAO’s or whom Evers that are in charge of these athletic programs are two excited about the costs to send a team to USPORTS for one game and 5 nights accommodations and travel per diems.
BTW having a bronze medal game, a fifth place game and a seventh place game to fill the weekend is not justification for calling this a good format!

Reactions: AUS Fan

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
Geulph could certainly host Nationals.The Sleemans Centre where the Guelph Storm play is the perfect size and is geared to handle television crews, plenty of appropriate accommodations, onyy 40 minutes from Pearson and small enough/big enough to attract local interest

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Geulph could certainly host Nationals.The Sleemans Centre where the Guelph Storm play is the perfect size and is geared to handle television crews, plenty of appropriate accommodations, onyy 40 minutes from Pearson and small enough/big enough to attract local interest

No. I was in Kitchener both years that Guelph, Laurier and Waterloo co-hosted the Cup. It was an attendance disaster. Hospitality, rink and games were great, but few fans in attendance. Junior hockey rules, especially in March as teams are in the playoffs.
Dale makes some good points which only serve to reinforce what some have said over the past few years - It is unsound from an economic standpoint to host a tournament to only play one game. The AUS is well suited for this type of format as all teams are no more than 4 hrs from the venue and at least one team is (almost) guaranteed to be in the final.
But, schools along the 401 do not have the same level of fan support or interest. And, as mentioned, they have little chance of advancing. I'm not knocking these schools but stating the obvious.
I think the CIS has to stop trying to make this a National spectacle (which it's not) and instead try to "level the playing field" for the host.

I also agree with Dale on the need for this topic to be in a separate thread and I take full responsibility (but no blame) for introducing this on Monday. I'll pm one of the mods and see if these comments can get moved.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
I like the 6 team format best, 2 games for all teams.BTW, Alberta coach, Ian Herbers was in favour of the 8 team event. I believe that was on Bob Stauffers show, earlier in this year.
True enough AUS!
Hate to say it but AB and UNB are such power houses, that the first game is like a "knock the rust off game" for them. Like AB vs.Leth. this past year. A tune up tilt. So 8 team format is perfect. For the rest of the USPORTS teams .....that opening afternoon or night game is like standing on a cliff, one is falling off......

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wasn’t the 8-team format pushed by Sportsnet? With them (possibly) out of the picture (haven’t heard anything about who, if anyone, is taking the rights...I think the SN agreement is done now), maybe that opens the door for the possibility of going back to the old setup.

Also, I agree we need to get these posts moved out of this thread. Move them over to the University Cup thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad