Unheralded Rookies for 2019/20

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Awesome! love the work as always. Makes the built up to the start of the year that much more exciting when youre able to read quality stuff like this.

In regards to North Bay, surprised to see Campbell on the list, I dont think he cracks the opening roster but maybe second half call up depending on the year hes having.
Mayotte seems to be a wild card, not many have the privilege of viewing Shattuck games around here but have heard some positive reports so we are cautiously optimistic as our D-core needs more than one person to step up.
Big time agree on Vrbetic and Jackson, I am hoping they are given the chance to succeed as theyve shown great stuff in tier 2!

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Wow do the fronts really not have anyone? That's really not a good sigm
I wouldn't necessarily view it as a bad thing. If you don't have many "rookie" second or third year players coming in, your team wouldn't necessarily have anyone on that list. For Kingston, I suspect that last years team is going to be similar in make-up to this years team but with a year of experience under their belt. Kingston was so young last year that most players will return and there probably isn't a lot of room for second or third year "rookies" to crack the roster. It is kind of a unique situation for a player. I think back to Vince Dunn from Niagara that played his 1st year for Jr B Thorold. For his second year he joined the IceDogs and had a strong season. I would have put him in the category of "Unheralded Rookie"

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I wouldn't necessarily view it as a bad thing. If you don't have many "rookie" second or third year players coming in, your team wouldn't necessarily have anyone on that list. For Kingston, I suspect that last years team is going to be similar in make-up to this years team but with a year of experience under their belt. Kingston was so young last year that most players will return and there probably isn't a lot of room for second or third year "rookies" to crack the roster. It is kind of a unique situation for a player. I think back to Vince Dunn from Niagara that played his 1st year for Jr B Thorold. For his second year he joined the IceDogs and had a strong season. I would have put him in the category of "Unheralded Rookie"

Kingston, Mississauga, and Peterborough were the three teams to not have players mentioned.

You pretty much nailed the reasoning. I tried to focus on players that I anticipated could get consistent ice time and eventually work their way up the lineup. For those three teams, the depth returning is pretty great, in addition to so many of their top end 02's playing on the big club already.

That's the reason a team like London always has so many players on this annual list, because their second, third, fourth round picks just can't crack the OHL roster full time most years. So they play a year in Tier 2, then make the jump and qualify for a list like this.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Great article as always Brock, very in depth.

For Erie, Baldassarra is not in camp. He currently does not have an NCAA commitment but I think him not showing up probably speaks to his future.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Curious as to why you left Ben Gaudreau off this list? I know there are some factors that are in play (Sarnia having Langevin, Lamour and Gaudreau) but if sarnia decides to ship Lamour out then Gaudreau would slide into the #2 spot and at least get 25 starts this season as a 16 yo.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Curious as to why you left Ben Gaudreau off this list? I know there are some factors that are in play (Sarnia having Langevin, Lamour and Gaudreau) but if sarnia decides to ship Lamour out then Gaudreau would slide into the #2 spot and at least get 25 starts this season as a 16 yo.

Article isn't for 03's. Only 02's and 01's who didn't make their OHL teams last year.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Great article as always Brock, very in depth.

For Erie, Baldassarra is not in camp. He currently does not have an NCAA commitment but I think him not showing up probably speaks to his future.

To be fair, I don’t think he would make the team anyways for this season. Still an undersized kid who wasn’t overly impressive last year. Could be a good one in the future but no room for him right now

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Mitchel Smith could turn out to be a point producing D in his first year. As you mentioned he makes that good pass out of his end and with our speed up front will be exactly what we need. He also has PP potential for a rookie. Thanks for your input it is always a good read.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
A lot of Knights on the “back-end” speaks to the very “Green” defence on a team that is somewhat loaded up front with returning forwards. I think a trade or two is on the horizon for the Knights unless they are banking on next year or the year after as the “all in” seasons and chose this season as a development season? Can’t see them wasting the Forward Crew they have this season though I really think Mark will be a busy boy as Camp winds down.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->