Unfufilled potential ...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
with niedermayer i think it was partly circumstance that held him back, but i think he also didn't take the reins until he absolutely had to ('03), when he had the ability to far sooner.

if he'd been more assertive or a more focused player early on, how many cups could NJ have won? that said, you look at what he's accomplished and i don't think anyone could ask for a fuller career.

with bouwmeester, i truly thought that guy was going to be niedermayer meets pronger if he ever developed a mean streak. and he could have been. maybe he still can? he looked so good in the '04 world cup. but then again, eric brewer (maybe another name for this thread?) looked so good in the '02 olympics...

but one thing i've noticed is that extremely smooth skaters, i would count fedorov, early niedermayer, and bouwmeester as examples, sometimes get unfairly criticized for not trying hard enough when really their effortless skating just makes it look like they're coasting.

Bauer Warrior*

I can't believe I forgot about that cocky kid in '97 who said "I am here to take somebody's job". That kid was Dan Cleary. Never lived up to the expectations or his potential.

This is an interesting one. I would be inclined to obsolve Dan Cleary from this category

He was a can't miss prospect going into his final year of junior (or at least his final year before his draft year), then question marks came up that forced him to go, I believe 13th in '97. His first you years were really difficult, he was ultimately left for dead, but I definitely give him full marks for salvaging his career. But I do understand what you're saying.

In terms of his comment, I would say, and hope, that it's more likely that he was overcompensating than being confident. Young adults say more stupid things than young kids. It's just the way it is.... some things will never change.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Vincent Lecavalier.

If this guy had the heart of his teammate Martin St. Louis, he could have been another Messier.

Basically, this is a guy who has a Cup ring and a lifetime contract, so what more does he need? Plays in a market where there is little external pressure to succeed, and he can live in relative obscurity on the beaches and golf courses of sunny Florida.

I'm not saying he doesn't try or doesn't want to win, but I get the feeling that Lecavalier is one of those players that thinks winning is great, but losing isn't the end of the world either, so he doesn't strive to find that extra gear of compete level.

The result is a guy who has the ability to take over games, but is content to merely do enough to avoid criticism. Had a solid playoff run, scored some big goals against Pittsburgh and Washington, and at the end of the day left most of the heavy lifting against Boston to St. Louis, as Tampa came up a game short of reaching the final.

This so much, he is the most talented player the Lightning have ever had, he can take over games/series but his consistency/drive is what kills him.

He is going to end his career as one of the most disappointing players to hit 1000+ points. People weren't wrong when they were calling him the best player in the world in 06/07, he was phenomenal then, and that is what he should be like most seasons. But for some reason that Vinny only shows up every now and then regular season and more often in the playoffs.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This so much, he is the most talented player the Lightning have ever had, he can take over games/series but his consistency/drive is what kills him.

He is going to end his career as one of the most disappointing players to hit 1000+ points. People weren't wrong when they were calling him the best player in the world in 06/07, he was phenomenal then, and that is what he should be like most seasons. But for some reason that Vinny only shows up every now and then regular season and more often in the playoffs.

this reminds me of frank mahovlich. i am in no way suggesting that lecavalier is in the same league, but didn't the big M get criticized his entire hall of fame, six cup-winning career for not dominating all the time like he could have?

popculturereference

Feb 1, 2009
Ilya Kovalchuk: not lacking in anything compared to Alexander Ovechkin in terms of ability, yet he has failed to achieve the same individual accomplishments or be a proper cornerstone for his teams.

For me, I'd put the blame more on Atlanta's terrible management than Kovalchuk's ability to lead a team.

I didn't see him mentioned, but Gilbert Brule should be on this list.

Bauer Warrior*

For me, I'd put the blame more on Atlanta's terrible management than Kovalchuk's ability to lead a team.

I didn't see him mentioned, but Gilbert Brule should be on this list.

Which is something that I really like about this thread. Very cleverly, it's not a bust thread. It's a "left something on the table" thread. At the age of 24, maybe Brule can still salvage something [like Dan Cleary], but in my opinion, Brule is heading towards bust. But yes, he is something who I did expect much more from.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Phaneuf. Hard to believe he was once a 60 point guy, Norris candidate.
What about Rob Niedermeyer? Didn't he nearly reach 70 points in one of his first seasons?
Valeri Bure? 75 point season with Calgary, then basically disappeared.
Derek Morris?
Czerkawski?
Radek Bonk?
I was going to say Knutsen, but I think that incident with the young girl probably had something to do with it all.

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
seems strange, but i read a few months ago in a newspaper (probably montreal gazette) from around 1970 that jean beliveau should have been a greater player.

iirc, writer thought beliveau was not the greatest player in history, but should have been.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What about Rob Niedermeyer? Didn't he nearly reach 70 points in one of his first seasons?
Derek Morris?
Czerkawski?
Radek Bonk?
I was going to say Knutsen, but I think that incident with the young girl probably had something to do with it all.

brings to mind morris' successor in calgary, jordan leopold. the way he moved the puck in the '04 playoffs i thought for sure he was going to be a star.

Anthrax Jones

Feb 26, 2009
Derek Morris?
Czerkawski?
Radek Bonk?

Morris was the one who shot the puck that Knutsen deflected, ironically to this post.

Funny how Morris' career panned out. It was considered a wild reach by Calgary taking him 13th overall in 1996, as he was seen as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder. Then, it looked like Calgary's scouting staff was on the ball after all, as he showed boatloads of promise early in his career, and was seen as a rising star. Then the controversial trade with Colorado for Chris Drury happened, and Morris' career stalled out. I hated the trade from the Avs perspective, and I still do as I feel Drury brought something to that team that was irreplaceable, and probably cost that core another Cup run. However, Morris played well as an Av, and I really liked him. A fight with David Ling broke his orbital bone, and it seemed like after that he was more gun-shy, more conservative, and he settled into a role as a good second-pairing defenseman, with limited power play skills.

A long-winded way of saying that Morris probably settled into the career that his pre-draft assessment projected.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm going to say Paul Kariya, who was fantastic as a [Mighty] Duck, but really regressed after leaving. And I'm talking injury or no injury, he was never the same player after he played hard ball with Anaheim.

Kovalev... no question. He's got arguably the best hands I've ever seen.

Olli Jokinen was highly touted when and before he was drafted, struggled early on, thrived and starred under Mike Keanan.... ultimately, no Keanan= No success.

Sticking to the '97 draft, Joe Thornton leaves me so much to be desired. I thought he would be tougher (more so physically than mentally), I just always see him on the perimeter, both in the playoffs and in regular season.

Todd Harvey of the Dallas Stars and San Jose Sharks was supposed to be the Bobby Clarke of the '90's. He was a bit of a character forward, but had no brakes (couldn't stop) and no numbers (stats).

Alexei Yashin, I thought was neck and neck for best in the game with Jagr in the late 90's, but once he got to the Islanders [his first NHL action in the new melenium], to quote Foghorn Leghorn in the GEICO commercial, "he sunk like a stone."

I thought Chris Gratton would be a model power forward at the center position, and he had some nice years, but once he wanted money [came to Philly in '97], his play also "sunk like a stone" and never recovered.

Jay Bouwmeester has good skill, but he's also soft and inconsistent. Word was that he was smarting a bit for not being chosen first in the '02 draft. If that's all it takes to set him off... wow! I hope he doesn't have a wife.

Alexandre Daigle never sniffed the success of Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Pat LaFontaine, or Jeremy Roenick. But he did get some nice pay checks and Pamela Anderson (when she was young) to brag about.

Oleg Tverdovsky. If someone says, even in hyperbole, that you did anything "like Bobby Orr.", it's just setting up for failure. Poor guy. He had a decent career, but I definitely did expect more.

Tim Connolly came into the league with real slick moves. But he always had trouble finishing, even before concussion issues. I thought he'd be a potent scorer who'd pot at least 30 per year. I don't even think he ever netted 20. I'd have to double check. Still, I expected more.

Jeff Friesen had sick wheels and a pretty nice finishing touch, but like with Chris Gratton and Paul Kariya before him, once he left the team who drafted him, his game was just never the same.

... Because I'm sticking to NHL careers, I'm not going to mention Jason Bonsignore (easily confused with Mario Lemieux :sarcasm:

Nice list.

Bauer Warrior*

Derek Morris?
Czerkawski?
Radek Bonk?

Knutsen was always about what I'd expect. He was a nice player. Just from a personal standpoint, I never expected more.

However, I feel terribly for him with that freak occurrance that resulted in that poor girl's (Britney Cecil's) extremely untimely death. I can't believe that's going to be 10 years. It was spring of '02, right?

Espen Knutsen was in no way responsible for her death. For his own well being, I wish he wasn't so hard on himself because of it. The guy has a big heart, clearly, and I do respect that. It's really just an all around shame.

Bauer Warrior*

Nice list.

Thank you. :)

... but what amazes me is that there are so many names that I left off. Some of the other guys have mentioned guys like Sergei Samsonov and, though he had a nice career, I'd say Mike Ricci, who was a scorer in junior and his early NHL career. Then he became a defensive center. Rugged as can be, but I thought he'd be a real star, especially after the trade to QUebec. He was by no means a disappointment, but he wasn't what I expected. He's a guy for another thread, I guess. He doesn't belong on a list with guys like Alexei Yashin, Chris Gratton, Jay Buowmeester, etc.

Also, Jason Spezza is someone who I expected much more from.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'd say Mike Ricci, who was a scorer in junior and his early NHL career. Then he became a defensive center. Rugged as can be, but I thought he'd be a real star, especially after the trade to QUebec.

There are alot of players who light it up in jr and are believed to become real stars. Sometimes it is just a case of being physically more mature... It's hilarious to think that Chris Dingman was a first rounder, just because he was an alright jr player with size...

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Reggie Leach should be in the Hall of Fame damnit.

What he did in the 76 playoffs is disgusting.

His only rival was Guy Laflear for several years, he would have had more Team All-Stars if not for Laflear.

HALL OF FAME.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Reggie Leach should be in the Hall of Fame damnit.

What he did in the 76 playoffs is disgusting.

His only rival was Guy Laflear for several years, he would have had more Team All-Stars if not for Laflear.

HALL OF FAME.

Yes, he had an excellent playoff in 1976. And thank goodness that's not all it takes to get into the hall.

Leach had many rivals besides Lafleur, and he was only top-5 in RW all-star voting twice - Remove Lafleur and his 2nd team becomes a 1st, and his 4th place becomes a 3rd... not another all-star team.

Leach was top-10 in goals in the NHL three times, which is good, but far from a hall shoo-in. He was never top-10 in the NHL in points, though he was 16th in 1976, at the height of the WHA's popularity and when there were numerous skilled Europeans overseas.

What's more, Leach wasn't particularly known for anything aside from his offensive ability. He wasn't a tough guy and he wasn't a defensive player.

Leach would not make my top-100 if I was to list the best players not in the hall.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Also Ivan Hlinka's want in Vancouver was well wanting at times.

So how well a 31-year old guy coming from Czechoslovakia (in the 80s) should do in your opinion? Hlinka wasn't even a big factor in the CSSR's national team around 1981 anymore. Considering all this, he did pretty well indeed. I'm scared to think what he would have done if he had wanted it more! (?)

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Saku Koivu, anybody?

Even though I don't think it has anything to do with lack of motivation, laziness etc., I still feel he is/was a lot better than his NHL career indicates.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Sandis Ozolinsh.
This. He was relatively high picked player, so talent was arguably there and he performed very well in his early years in Sharks and Avalanche. He was the opposite of Nick Lidstrom in Colorado. He became a journeyman after his Colorado's day and he was done after the lockout.
He could be the Gonchar's twin these days.

Bobby Carpenter, 3rd overall, he hit 50+ goals mark and felt off the radar one season after that. He never scored more than 56 points then (during high scoring era) and during his 30's he became a 4th liner :help:

Obvious choices are:
Zhamnov - he should be in elite star category after his brilliant first few seasons and he hardly became a weak 1st line center.
Petr Nedved & Petr Klíma @ Patrik Stefan = one dissapoint from Czechs per decade
Kevin Stevens Drugs killed him.
Martin Gelinas, Vladimir Malakhov....

So many names...

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I get the feeling that this argument is like saying;

I couldn't disagree more with you. Gretzky hitting 215 is insane. Not only did Wayne surpass what was before him, he set the bar for excellence. 215 is the bench mark. Where as Fedorov always left you wanting more. He almost won the scoring title, won a Hart and Selke in the same year. I want to say it was his 4th year in the league. He should have, and could have, been a top 10 player in the league year after year. But when Sergei got that 20 million dollar signing bonus, his heart shrunk to half the size of his talent.

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
i think we also saw fedorov at his best. maybe we didn't see the season-to-season consistency that we would have liked, but the playoff monster that we did see was i think the full extent of his potential.

Fedorov at his best was damn good though. I think inconsistent play can be considered unfufilled potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad