Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Joey Benik with the game winner in the upset win as SCSU beat the top rated team in the NCAA, North Dakota. Thought he had a good game, will be watching him later tonight in the NCHC championship

another big game from Benik, he was in on both his teams goals, with 1g, 1a in what was a good game but his team came up just short in a 3-2 loss to Miami Ohio.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
now that the Frozen Four brackets are set, would expect to see more players signing. After next weekend more will be joining them. Will be interesting to see if the Habs do anything since they usually do, but we also have a big incoming rookie class to the AHL next year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Baun would be great, 18 teams have offered him a contract. He makes his decision tomorrow

I'm hoping Bergy's after getting Baun signed up, his grandfather was one tough sum of a gun!

What kind of player is he ? Looking at stats, he seems like a big physical RW, but points-wise, seems pretty ordinary...

Yeah and fast too would fit in nice with the type of balanced lineup the Habs are building,IMHO.

What kind of player is he ? Looking at stats, he seems like a big physical RW, but points-wise, seems pretty ordinary...

He utilizes his size and strength in protecting the puck well, is 2nd in pts. for his team, excellent speed, wins puck battles, scores important goals and creates havoc in front of the opposing goalies net area. Besides scoring goals he's equally good passing the puck and was a Hobey Baker nominee this year, his Junior year. Pretty good package of skills and what to do with them also.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Just listened to a couple of Kyle Baun's interviews, sounds like a smart kid that knows what he wants. (To be an NHLer like his gramps that he goes fishing with, nice kid):handclap::handclap::handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So it looks like the hawks aren't going to be able to sign Michael Paliotta, defensemen from Vermont. He led his team in scoring this year so clearly some teams will be interested in signing him for free.

Analyzer*

So it looks like the hawks aren't going to be able to sign Michael Paliotta, defensemen from Vermont. He led his team in scoring this year so clearly some teams will be interested in signing him for free.

He's a big, right handed d. Would be huge for the habs to grab him. Depending on our off season there might be a 3rd pairing RHD job available.

He'll likely need to be promised that spot, or he'll just go somewhere else.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Kyle Baun about to sign with the Hawks. Don't understand that one....All great to play for a great team but you kinda have to play.....for that team.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Kyle Baun about to sign with the Hawks. Don't understand that one....All great to play for a great team but you kinda have to play.....for that team.

I don't understand it, at best he'll play a couple games on the 4th line at the end of the season, kinda like when they signed Drew Leblanc a few years back.

I know Versteeg has been cold for the last little while, maybe they swap him out and see what happens? I'm trying to make some sense out of it.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
Very quiet on the Habs signing any of these UFA's. They are not even mentioned as being interested

Do you expect MB to sign anyone this year?

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I don't understand it, at best he'll play a couple games on the 4th line at the end of the season, kinda like when they signed Drew Leblanc a few years back.

I know Versteeg has been cold for the last little while, maybe they swap him out and see what happens? I'm trying to make some sense out of it.

Bob Mac is saying he signed because he knows he'll get time next year Bob saying there will be big turnover next year on hawks, says versteeg, bickell and def sharp are gone. Maybe seabrook and oduya too

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After Sekac doubt many any free agents will sign here. They be looking for a place with more opportunity. Therrein not fond of inexperienced defensively

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
looks like the speculation on Paliotta was incorrect since he just signed with the hawks.

Very quiet on the Habs signing any of these UFA's. They are not even mentioned as being interested

Do you expect MB to sign anyone this year?

they sign someone every year but this year the Habs do have a large incoming rookie class for the AHL next season so they might limit how many players they bring in.

After Sekac doubt many any free agents will sign here. They be looking for a place with more opportunity. Therrein not fond of inexperienced defensively

I doubt it will have any impact unless there is more to the story that we haven't heard.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Assuming Kyle Baun is very much like his grandfather, the Hawks just stole another very promising young winger, which may help their salary cap problems. All NHL teams have great interest in Free Agents with promise, as noticed in the off season signings of Carr and Sekac. Like catching a wildcard off the draw giving you a straight flush when your opponents have gone all in without one, GM's are acutely aware of the values of these gems during the salary cap era.

When Bergevin & the Habs front office evaluates these players, I have supreme confidence that they make the proper judgement in pursuing them. While not overextending themselves in the attempt to lure these prized FA's, which often times don't reach their predicted upside. No longer do I 2nd guess every move made by our management team. Still I take time to judge with a keen eye what deficiencies the prospects not signed by the Habs, accomplish elsewhere. Forming the opinion that Bergy & Staff are the best in the business, and the Habs won't be a team that suffers from poor management in the Salary Cap Era, as some of the "Elite Teams" have been wont to do!

I have found the same type of confidence in this Habs regime that I had reserved for only the Selke & Pollock regimes before, take that to the Bank! Just make sure it's the Bank of Montreal Canadiens, In Bergy We Trust!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched some of the BU-Yale game and Oksanen looked good again, scored a huge goal and had a couple shots as well. Not sure he if will turn pro or go back for his Senior year but I would hope the Habs are in on him if he does opt to sign now.

we'll find out if he signs or not as Minnesota just got bounced from the Frozen Fours so their season is over. Sounds like he will use the loophole and become a FA but he has till June 1st to notify his team he plans on doing that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->