Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That would be the EZPZ way....especially silly looking at the past few years and already judging prospects...dismissing all of them by saying their stats are worse.

There will be ten Q prospects minimum from the 2015 draft alone that will play in the NHL some day. In fact...there are decent odds that more prospects from the Q will make the NHL than from the OHL this draft.

Maybe play for short stints. 51 Quebec born players played in the league this year. About 36 were regulars. Number of Q drafted Europeans probably isn't much higher. So you're saying this draft alone will add 20-25% more Q players than are currently in the league? When the current crop goes off of 17-20 drafts?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
who signed Jevpaluv?

Timmins' 6th & 7th rounders usually confuse me. Habs tended to do better in the 8th and 9th rounds. Shame they got rid of them.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Martel is 5'8. Jevpalovs went undrafted twice and even went to training camp with the Flyers, without getting signed.

Nope

Mike

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Have seen them play a lot this year.....and while you have to be in awe when you Watch Jev., and admire how Martel gives his 100% on every shift....but don't believe in will translate in the NHL. Maybe AHL...but I wouldn't waste a contract on future AHL'er for life.

But strange things have happened....all about progression and development. Just that, I don't believe it for those 2 guys.

So was Hoffman...

But then Hoffman started to look great at 24. Clearly a late-bloomer. Wasn't that much a factor before even in the AHL.

What it means is that I do believe that sometimes, you should take a flyer on players like that. 'Cause at one point, you will hit a homerun....see Tyler Johnson and Hoffman and others. But it will always be the exceptions, not the norm.

Yanick Riendeau was surely at one point one of the most talented forward we had in the not-so distant past.....Yep, he ended up a PPG player in the pros....in the ECHL that is. We will see if Jev becomes a Kucherov. Or a Riendeau. We will see if Martel becomes a Hoffman or a Dany Massé (obviously not comparing the style of play...Habs made a panic move with Massé who it was clear would never be anything....but they had to respond to the Bruins's Riendeau hiring.)

Last edited by a moderator:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
No.

20 years olds ****** the Q, stop the press!!!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122662

photo.php

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Are any of you upset with the fact Bergevin/Timmins did not bother with signing either one of Nikita Jevpalovs or Danick Martel, both playing their homes games less than an hour away from the Bell Center ?

I'm talking about kids who are scoring 100+ pts right now and leading a young team that many considered bottom-5 to start the season to a top QMJHL team and Memorial Cup contender.

I'm talking about hard-working kids with speed, hockey sense and skills.

More importantly, I'm talking about kids being developped in our own backyard by a guy who used to play for the Hamilton Bulldogs and work for RDS (Bouchard) who has developped Cédric Paquette and Xavier Ouellet who will hunt us playing for division rivals for years to come (kids that we could have drafted) not to mention Dan Walcott who could also make the Rangers down the road (a team which beat us in the finals last year).

Now Martel will be playing for the Flyers, another close rival of us.

How many players do the Habs have under contract now? Can't be signing everybody. I'd rather they go after another big'un like Sorkin.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Not sure how pointing out the weakest year for the Q proves. For a lot of the last decade the Q was under scouted so a lot of good players either went late or were not drafted like Palay Kucherov Burrows Desharnais Hoffman.

I'm not going to argue with you because you seem to be very close minded, bottom line, ingnoring the Q this year would be very stupid for any team, especially the Habs.

Every league has a ton of players that were drafted late that make an impact in the NHL...you would need to make an argument that this is more common in the Q relative to other leagues...which its not. The league is scouted less (as opposed to underscouted) because the WHL and the OHL produce more NHL talent per capita.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not really upset in both cases, as a general rule production as a 20 year old in the CHL has to be taken with a major grain of salt. I see Martel having a similar trajectory to Yanni Gourde where he'll end up being a decent producer in the AHL who'll never get a look in the NHL because teams just have a hard time picturing a 160 pounder in their lineup, unless he's super talented. That's just the ugly truth. In Jev's case I would have been interested in him , though I don't see his production really translating to the pro game. The habs have signed quite a few undrafted guys in recent years, they've been quite proactive in that department. We obviously can't get them all, nor should we. You have a 50 contract limit to respect anyway.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Are any of you upset with the fact Bergevin/Timmins did not bother with signing either one of Nikita Jevpalovs or Danick Martel, both playing their homes games less than an hour away from the Bell Center ?

I'm talking about kids who are scoring 100+ pts right now and leading a young team that many considered bottom-5 to start the season to a top QMJHL team and Memorial Cup contender.

More importantly, I'm talking about kids being developped in our own backyard by a guy who used to play for the Hamilton Bulldogs and work for RDS (Bouchard) who has developped Cédric Paquette and Xavier Ouellet who will hunt us playing for division rivals for years to come (kids that we could have drafted) not to mention Dan Walcott who could also make the Rangers down the road (a team which beat us in the finals last year).

To answer your question...no.

I want the Habs to scout and watch the Q but in the draft you take the BPA. If two players are pretty much even maybe you draft the local kid.

The Habs have done a good job at getting Q talent at low cost...Desharnais Hudon Andrighetto Gregoire.

In terms of Ouellet, the Habs Took Beaulieu(though it was much sooner) and it's not even close. Ouellet's skating is still an issue.

No.

20 years olds ****** the Q, stop the press!!!!

Age has to be a consideration, but to me you should also not completely overlook guys at 19 or 20 either.

There are a lot of 18 or 19 year olds drafted that made the NHL recently that were overlooked at 17, and also some guys that were just signed at 20 as FA's. Like Euro and NCAA FA's you can't ignore any source of talent. You treat each case on it's own merit.

Last edited by a moderator:

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
Maybe play for short stints. 51 Quebec born players played in the league this year. About 36 were regulars. Number of Q drafted Europeans probably isn't much higher. So you're saying this draft alone will add 20-25% more Q players than are currently in the league? When the current crop goes off of 17-20 drafts?

ok now you take away all players from maritimes (1/3 rd of the league is based in maritimes FFS), all europeans and all americans to try to prove your point?

so basically 10 players is way less then 20-25%.

this has become ridiculous.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN · 9m9 minutes ago
LRT: Frank Vatrano will forego his final two years of eligibility to sign with the Boston Bruins.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN · 9m9 minutes ago
LRT: Frank Vatrano will forego his final two years of eligibility to sign with the Boston Bruins.

Local kid right? He's technically a Sophomore if I'm not mistaken, even though he's only played one year. Is there a special rule that allows still draft eligible college players to get a pro contract ?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I didn't want any of those two. Good luck to them because it's always nice to see 'Q players succeed, but I'm not going to lose sleep because they signed with NHL teams. Jevpalovs is slow footed, and Martel is tiny and weak, albeit he's a terrific competitor and a speed demon. His speed won't overwhelm the opponents in the Pros, and Jevpalovs will lose the physical advantage he has over Junior players. His lack of mobility will be quite apparent in the AHL.

The main problem with Martel is that all his offense comes from his speed, he doesn't have a good shot nor good hands. He has two major assets, and those are speed and combativity. Two things most players in the NHL nowadays can also boast. And that's when his frame will come into play.

But then Hoffman started to look great at 24. Clearly a late-bloomer. Wasn't that much a factor before even in the AHL.

What it means is that I do believe that sometimes, you should take a flyer on players like that. 'Cause at one point, you will hit a homerun....see Tyler Johnson and Hoffman and others. But it will always be the exceptions, not the norm.

Yanick Riendeau was surely at one point one of the most talented forward we had in the not-so distant past.....Yep, he ended up a PPG player in the pros....in the ECHL that is. We will see if Jev becomes a Kucherov. Or a Riendeau. We will see if Martel becomes a Hoffman or a Dany Massé (obviously not comparing the style of play...Habs made a panic move with Massé who it was clear would never be anything....but they had to respond to the Bruins's Riendeau hiring.)

Kucherov was drafted in the 2nd round WS. Totally different cases, you must be thinking of Palat who was drafted in his 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility in the 7th round.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Local kid right? He's technically a Sophomore if I'm not mistaken, even though he's only played one year. Is there a special rule that allows still draft eligible college players to get a pro contract ?

he's listed as a Sophomore but not sure why he didn't redshirt last year. He's not draft eligible as he was passed over in the last 3 drafts so he can sign at any time. His team season was ended when they lost to Jake Evans team last weekend.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
he's listed as a Sophomore but not sure why he didn't redshirt last year. He's not draft eligible as he was passed over in the last 3 drafts so he can sign at any time. His team season was ended when they lost to Jake Evans team last weekend.

Oh okay, I tough for sure he was still eligible which is why I was wondering. Thanks for the precisions !

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

He's 20 years old, will be 21 in a few days I think, so he can sign an NHL contract at any point, not draft eligible.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
There will be ten Q prospects minimum from the 2015 draft alone that will play in the NHL some day. In fact...there are decent odds that more prospects from the Q will make the NHL than from the OHL this draft.

LOL....wish people would stop quoting this guy....defeats having him on the my ignore list. ;) He apparently assumes Philly has the same Q scouts that they did when Giroux and even Gagne were drafted. Philly's main Q scout was hired four years ago, he was with Anaheim, Florida and Detroit before that....you think these guys have jobs for life or something? Talk about a massive generalization..especially when it's also taken into account that Montreal's current Q scouts have been on the job less than 5 years themselves.

I could be wrong, but I believe Simon Nolet has been scouting the 'Q for the Flyers for a while.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Every single CHL season there are high scoring 20 year olds. It's always good to take long looks at skilled players, and the advent of Hoffman, Johnson and Palat provides some encouragement for overagers in the long run. But there are always going to be more Mitch Holmbergs than there are Mike Hoffman's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->