Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I would be all for giving Oksanen a serious look. I was weary about the whole dman turned forward thing at first but having seen him a few times this year ( thanks TSN !) really calmed my fears. Great size and shot, good skater, got that Finnish work ethic going too. Good stuff :nod:

Dec 2, 2010
I would be all for giving Oksanen a serious look. I was weary about the whole dman turned forward thing at first but having seen him a few times this year ( thanks TSN !) really calmed my fears. Great size and shot, good skater, got that Finnish work ethic going too. Good stuff :nod:
Yea all the makings of a productive bottom 6 guy.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Here are the guys I'd have on my QMJHL FA list...

1-Jeremie Fraser, VD
Big strong horse that a big factor at both ends of the ice, I think at the pro level he can be more of a shutdown player who can chip in some offense. He plays with an edge and can drop the gloves. His only knock is he is very competitive, sometimes to a point where he rubs teammates the wrong way. He played a pretty big role in VD winning the QMJHL title last year.

2-Alexis Loiseau, Rimouski
Good sized center, skating is solid with a long powerful stride, plays a solid 2 way game and is a good playmaker. Takes a lot of important faceoffs and kills penalities. Could develop into a solid 2 way center in the pros.

3-Nikita Jevpalovs, Blainville-Boisbriand
Big strong horse, can play wing or center, gets around the ice well for a guy his size, strong on the puck when he gets into a wide base. has a heavy wrister and can thread the needle as a playmaker, good vision and hockey sense. Recently signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks.

4-Danick Martel, Blainville-Boisbriand
Has all the tools but the size, big time competitor, plays a lot bigger than his size. He is a classic late bloomer, only cracking the QMJHL at 18 and his career has taken off this year. Splits time at center with linemate Jervpalovs, I see him more on the wing as this could open up the ice for him. One of the best snipers in the league, he is fearless going to the net and he also has a quick release wrister that is hard to stop.

5-Sebastien Auger, Saint John
Has been the best goalie in the Q for most of the last 3 years, size is what hurts him most in the eyes of scouts. A deceptively good athlete he also reads the play well and gets himself square to the shooter. If somebody is willing to look past the 5'11" frame they could have themselves a pretty sold pro goalie who could one day be an NHl back up or co #1 in the Jaroslav Halak mold.

6-Mickael Beauregard, Gatineau
Big stay at home d-man, he is one of the toughest players in the Q. He is very underrated defensively, his coach trusts him in all tight situations and he rarely disapoints. He moves around pretty well for a big frame and makes a solid first pass. In the pros he could be a depth d-man taht can drop the gloves to protect a teammate.

7-Ryan Penny, Rouyn-Noranda
He has come a long way since a trade from Moncton 15 months ago, he was always a solid defensive player with strong work ethic and leadership traits, but in Rouyn-Noranda he has made large strides offensively to the point where he is a main cog in their offense. In the pros, he could be a sold bottom 6 player who plays a defensive role, kills penalities and chips in a few points, he can also play center or LW.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Big strong horse, can play wing or center, gets around the ice well for a guy his size, strong on the puck when he gets into a wide base. has a heavy wrister and can thread the needle as a playmaker, good vision and hockey sense. Recently signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks.

Kid has signed with San Jose already. Was at the top of my list. Would be very interested in Auger though.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well Casey Bailey has been on my radar for 2 years now, so I'm not going to be against that list....Cole Bardreau is another who interest me a whole lot. He has a really high offensive IQ. Oksanen is REALLY interesting. Kid's got potential. And Yevenko, well his size makes him interesting. Not sure a whole lot more than that. But could be a raw project interesting to work with. O'connor...well it would do wonders for our goalie depth....since we will trade Fucale in the summer for picks....:D I will try to check more closely Baun, Doremus, Morrison and Brevig, No thanks for Czarnik and Motte.

Kyle Baun(RW) and Drew Brevig(D) are very interesting FA's that could add speed, finesse and scoring, they would fit into the Habs transition style game very well. Baun's being a PWF type with physicality is always a welcome addition to our forward corps. Another off season coup by Bergevin (Like Sekac turned into Smith-Pelly) is a great thing in getting to the Elite Group of Playoff contenders, it's nice having a GM that actually works 24/7 at making his team the best, instead of making up excuses, "No Excuses" his ultimatum!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: If Baun is anything like his grandfather Bobby Baun the Leaf Dman he's tough as nails, and would fit in with our program well.

Last edited:

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
I would look at CJ Motte over O'Connor, he was at our development camp last year and I like him more. Oksanen is a guy I would like to get along with Benik from SCSU.

I was at the rookie scrimmage (granted not a good place to evaluate goalies) and I don't remember Motte being anything to write home about and I feel like I remember him being small.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
An overage WHL center from Swift Current Bronco's, Colby Cave(Captain, 6'1 - 200 lbs.) is a very competitive LHC, that could be a good free agent signing for the Hamilton Bulldogs. I'm unsure why he hasn't been drafted, but he certainly checks quite a few of the boxes that the Habs look for in prospects. Character is outstanding, always wants to be a gamechanger and quite often is the SCB's best & hardest working player that provides the spark the team needs to win, by scoring/assisting, shotblocking, inspirational hits or standing up for his teammates. Sounds like a Bulldog to me!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site

1-Jeremie Fraser, VD
Big strong horse that a big factor at both ends of the ice, I think at the pro level he can be more of a shutdown player who can chip in some offense. He plays with an edge and can drop the gloves. His only knock is he is very competitive, sometimes to a point where he rubs teammates the wrong way. He played a pretty big role in VD winning the QMJHL title last year.

Good sized center, skating is solid with a long powerful stride, plays a solid 2 way game and is a good playmaker. Takes a lot of important faceoffs and kills penalities. Could develop into a solid 2 way center in the pros.

Has all the tools but the size, big time competitor, plays a lot bigger than his size. He is a classic late bloomer, only cracking the QMJHL at 18 and his career has taken off this year. Splits time at center with linemate Jervpalovs, I see him more on the wing as this could open up the ice for him. One of the best snipers in the league, he is fearless going to the net and he also has a quick release wrister that is hard to stop.

Has been the best goalie in the Q for most of the last 3 years, size is what hurts him most in the eyes of scouts. A deceptively good athlete he also reads the play well and gets himself square to the shooter. If somebody is willing to look past the 5'11" frame they could have themselves a pretty sold pro goalie who could one day be an NHl back up or co #1 in the Jaroslav Halak mold.

Big stay at home d-man, he is one of the toughest players in the Q. He is very underrated defensively, his coach trusts him in all tight situations and he rarely disapoints. He moves around pretty well for a big frame and makes a solid first pass. In the pros he could be a depth d-man taht can drop the gloves to protect a teammate.

He has come a long way since a trade from Moncton 15 months ago, he was always a solid defensive player with strong work ethic and leadership traits, but in Rouyn-Noranda he has made large strides offensively to the point where he is a main cog in their offense. In the pros, he could be a sold bottom 6 player who plays a defensive role, kills penalities and chips in a few points, he can also play center or LW.

Fraser is a jerk. Not a fan of.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

1-Jeremie Fraser, VD

I guess Phillie liked my list...

Stephane Leroux ‏@StephRDSJunior · 7m7 minutes ago
View translation
Bonne nouvelle Danick @martel2626 de @ArmadaBLB signe un premier contrat professionnel avec les @NHLFlyers 2e compteur de la #LHJMQ

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I guess Phillie liked my list...

Stephane Leroux ‏@StephRDSJunior · 7m7 minutes ago
View translation
Bonne nouvelle Danick @martel2626 de @ArmadaBLB signe un premier contrat professionnel avec les @NHLFlyers 2e compteur de la #LHJMQ

They do like them Q boys, although developing talent hasn't been a strong suit for the Flyers in the last couple of years. Great for the kid anyways, he's had to face a lot of adversity to get there, going back to his midget days. It'll make for a nice story if he makes it.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They do like them Q boys, although developing talent hasn't been a strong suit for the Flyers in the last couple of years. Great for the kid anyways, he's had to face a lot of adversity to get there, going back to his midget days. It'll make for a nice story if he makes it.

Flyers have better Q scouts than we do. Possibly the best in the league. Q frequently turns out mostly garbage and Flyers keep picking up gems.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Flyers have better Q scouts than we do. Possibly the best in the league. Q frequently turns out mostly garbage and Flyers keep picking up gems.

I'd say their success rate for Q guys outside of the first round is kinda poor though, relative to the number of picks at least. If you look at their lineup in the last 3-4 years you'll be hard pressed to find any that played for more than a few games on the big club. They're one of the worst team in the league right now home grown talent wise though so it's true of pretty much ALL the guys they drafted mind you .

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That is a wonderful piece of fiction.....this is based on Giroux and Gagne. Both players went about where they were supposed to in the draft. Where are all of these gems that Philadelphia snagged from the Q that their scouts were able to uncover????

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The Q turns out mostly garbage? Where have you been the last 10 years?:laugh:

That is a wonderful piece of fiction.....this is based on Giroux and Gagne. Both players went about where they were supposed to in the draft. Where are all of these gems that Philadelphia snagged from the Q that their scouts were able to uncover????

Definitely not Morin. He looked terrible last time I saw him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The Q turns out mostly garbage? Where have you been the last 10 years?:laugh:

Definitely not Morin. He looked terrible last time I saw him.

Deepest drafts since 2003 are 2008 and 2010. In 2008 zero Q guys in the first round, a bunch in the second and all of them are busts. 2010 zero Q full time nhlers. Even 2009. Kulikov, Hoffman and David Savard are the only non-fringe NHLers. 2011 is the best in recent years with 5 NHLers, Palat the only one outside the first two rounds. 2012 looks to have two semi-NHLers, with the potential for three. Paquette and Grigorenko. Hudon the potential guy. 2013 was supposed to be the best Q draft ever and few of the guys are living up to the hype. Most struggling in the AHL/last year of junior. Even going back further. 2007 has Voracek, Perron and superstar Paul Byron. 2006 has Giroux(who played in Quebec from unique circumstances), Brassard, Sheppard, Bernier(the last three none lived up even close to what they were hyped to be), Ratchand, Macdonald and Perreault. 2005 has Crosby(wow q so good), Vlasic, Fatty(retired from fat), Letang.

That's it. In 10 years about 20 NHLers. Mostly from the 2006 draft. Sure you can argue "q has less picks", but they still turn out less NHLers for the amount of picks that are made. There's about 20 Q guys a draft and about 40-50 OHL guys. OHL routinely cranks out 10-15 guys a year while the Q puts out on average 3.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Deepest drafts since 2003 are 2008 and 2010. In 2008 zero Q guys in the first round, a bunch in the second and all of them are busts. 2010 zero Q full time nhlers. Even 2009. Kulikov, Hoffman and David Savard are the only non-fringe NHLers. 2011 is the best in recent years with 5 NHLers, Palat the only one outside the first two rounds. 2012 looks to have two semi-NHLers, with the potential for three. Paquette and Grigorenko. Hudon the potential guy. 2013 was supposed to be the best Q draft ever and few of the guys are living up to the hype. Most struggling in the AHL/last year of junior. Even going back further. 2007 has Voracek, Perron and superstar Paul Byron. 2006 has Giroux(who played in Quebec from unique circumstances), Brassard, Sheppard, Bernier(the last three none lived up even close to what they were hyped to be), Ratchand, Macdonald and Perreault. 2005 has Crosby(wow q so good), Vlasic, Fatty(retired from fat), Letang.

That's it. In 10 years about 20 NHLers. Mostly from the 2006 draft. Sure you can argue "q has less picks", but they still turn out less NHLers for the amount of picks that are made. There's about 20 Q guys a draft and about 40-50 OHL guys. OHL routinely cranks out 10-15 guys a year while the Q puts out on average 3.
I love the amount of research you did just to prove your point. True HF passion :handclap: .

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Not sure how pointing out the weakest year for the Q proves. For a lot of the last decade the Q was under scouted so a lot of good players either went late or were not drafted like Palay Kucherov Burrows Desharnais Hoffman.

I'm not going to argue with you because you seem to be very close minded, bottom line, ingnoring the Q this year would be very stupid for any team, especially the Habs.

Dec 2, 2010
One college FA I would love to sign is goalie Hildebrand. He's been lights out for Mich State for 3 years now. He's small but that's a nice project for the ECHL. Not sure if he finishes his studies or signs this offseason so we'll see.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi

you seem to nitpick and forgets lots of people only to prove your point.

I count 25 in just 5 years (05-09) so your 20 NHLers in 10 years is pure BS.

and let's not pretend the last 2 calder winners are from the Q.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
you seem to nitpick and forgets lots of people only to prove your point.

I count 25 in just 5 years (05-09) so your 20 NHLers in 10 years is pure BS.

and let's not pretend the last 2 calder winners are from the Q.

That would be the EZPZ way....especially silly looking at the past few years and already judging prospects...dismissing all of them by saying their stats are worse.

There will be ten Q prospects minimum from the 2015 draft alone that will play in the NHL some day. In fact...there are decent odds that more prospects from the Q will make the NHL than from the OHL this draft.

LOL....wish people would stop quoting this guy....defeats having him on the my ignore list. ;) He apparently assumes Philly has the same Q scouts that they did when Giroux and even Gagne were drafted. Philly's main Q scout was hired four years ago, he was with Anaheim, Florida and Detroit before that....you think these guys have jobs for life or something? Talk about a massive generalization..especially when it's also taken into account that Montreal's current Q scouts have been on the job less than 5 years themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Upset about Martel & Jevpalovs ?

Are any of you upset with the fact Bergevin/Timmins did not bother with signing either one of Nikita Jevpalovs or Danick Martel, both playing their homes games less than an hour away from the Bell Center ?

I'm talking about kids who are scoring 100+ pts right now and leading a young team that many considered bottom-5 to start the season to a top QMJHL team and Memorial Cup contender.

I'm talking about hard-working kids with speed, hockey sense and skills.

More importantly, I'm talking about kids being developped in our own backyard by a guy who used to play for the Hamilton Bulldogs and work for RDS (Bouchard) who has developped Cédric Paquette and Xavier Ouellet who will hunt us playing for division rivals for years to come (kids that we could have drafted) not to mention Dan Walcott who could also make the Rangers down the road (a team which beat us in the finals last year).

Now Martel will be playing for the Flyers, another close rival of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->