Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Who would you sign out of the NCAA other than Farrance?

Farrance has many better opportunities than Montreal to make the NHL. He might as well sign with the Preds that might trade away Ekholm especially since right now they have to expose one of Ellis/Ekholm/Fabbro or go 4F/4D (which would leave many nice fwd exposed like Kunin and Jarnkrok).

If he's a gambling man though, he might like the idea of trying for Weber's LD spot.

I could see them signing Primeau's brother.

Does he warrant more than an AHL 2-way or ECHL deal though?

He did show a nice progression the last 3 years but I haven't really watched him.

Unrelated stuff, but I just learned Keith Primeau had a kid at 16-17 years old (Corey).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
some names that could get NHL interest,

Odeen Tufto/Ethan De Jong - Quinnipiac
Alex Steeves - Notre Dame
Jordan Kawaguchi/Matt Kierstad - North Dakota
Johnny Evans - UConn
Connor Ford/Cameron Wright - Bowling Green
Ty Pelton-Byce/Roman Ahcan - Wisconsin
Bobby Trivigno/Carson Gicewicz- UMass
Jackson Cates - UMD
Chayse Primeau - UNO

i'm likey forgetting some, will post a list of goalies later

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Farrance has many better opportunities than Montreal to make the NHL. He might as well sign with the Preds that might trade away Ekholm especially since right now they have to expose one of Ellis/Ekholm/Fabbro or go 4F/4D (which would leave many nice fwd exposed like Kunin and Jarnkrok).

If he's a gambling man though, he might like the idea of trying for Weber's LD spot.

Does he warrant more than an AHL 2-way or ECHL deal though?

He did show a nice progression the last 3 years but I haven't really watched him.

Unrelated stuff, but I just learned Keith Primeau had a kid at 16-17 years old (Corey).

He looks like a future 4th liner maybe but I wouldn't have any problem giving him an NHL contract, big, fast, good skater.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
some names that could get NHL interest,

Odeen Tufto/Ethan De Jong - Quinnipiac
Alex Steeves - Notre Dame
Jordan Kawaguchi/Matt Kierstad - North Dakota
Johnny Evans - UConn
Connor Ford/Cameron Wright - Bowling Green
Ty Pelton-Byce/Roman Ahcan - Wisconsin
Bobby Trivigno/Carson Gicewicz- UMass
Jackson Cates - UMD
Chayse Primeau - UNO

i'm likey forgetting some, will post a list of goalies later

For my unknowledgeable eyes

NHL deal: Alex Steeves, Jordan Kawaguchi, Connor Ford, Cameron Wright, Ty Pelton-Byce
AHL deal: Odeen Tufto (very small), Matt Kiersted, Roman Ahcan, Chayse Primeau, Jackson Cates
AHL 2-way: Ethan De Jong (Carried by Tufto?), Jonny Evans, Bobby Trivigno, Carson Gicewicz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For my unknowledgeable eyes

NHL deal: Alex Steeves, Jordan Kawaguchi, Connor Ford, Cameron Wright, Ty Pelton-Byce
AHL deal: Odeen Tufto (very small), Matt Kiersted, Roman Ahcan, Chayse Primeau, Jackson Cates
AHL 2-way: Ethan De Jong (Carried by Tufto?), Jonny Evans, Bobby Trivigno, Carson Gicewicz

If Farrance signs with Nashville then Kierstad is the most sought after FA, he gets an NHL contract 100%. I didn't get to see Qunnipiac but De Jong plays a more aggressive game. Trivigno is another pest type I think he'll get some offers.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Still a few months out here, but there's some interesting prospects whose rights with their teams expire on June 1st.

Mads Søgaard
Maxim Cajkovic
Alex Beaucage

would be players I'd sign if there teams left them to UFA. I bet all 3 get signed though.

NCAA guys whose rights expire on June 1st that I'd be interested in

David Farrance
Jack Lafontaine
Linus Weissbach

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Tufto and De Jong had unbelievable years (all the credit to them) but they also played in a 4 team league this year. Two of which were St Lawrence and Colgate. The Ivys weren’t around. Numbers definitely seem inflated.
However they were still great. Really curious on what happens to Tufto contract wise

Last edited:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I still don’t understand why the Habs never sign the cream of the crop...it’s like they don’t even try.

I think first its just too hard to win a battle on the creme of the crop FA, these kids hold all the power and I'm sure there looking at depth charts and such with their advisors. Most kids are also american and they tend to stay with the american teams.

Lastly, I think habs generally don't value college FA's that much. It's really a low percentage chance you'll get an impact guy coming from college undrafted after four years. I guess they value more potential. Most of the FA that are undrafted are close to 24 years old when they come out of college

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I still don’t understand why the Habs never sign the cream of the crop...it’s like they don’t even try.

I think right now, Habs are more focused on their own prospects.

It doesn't mean they're not looking at undrafted FA's, as they signed Leskinen out of Finland and Teasdale out of junior not long ago. They did sign McNiven also years ago. And Lindgren, as well.

But I don't think they're as aggressive on it. I think they put themselves in a spot where they have enough to look internally.

Years ago, when the cupboards were empty, they were looking at undrafted FA's to fill up the AHL team. That isn't the case anymore.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I
I think right now, Habs are more focused on their own prospects.

It doesn't mean they're not looking at undrafted FA's, as they signed Leskinen out of Finland and Teasdale out of junior not long ago. They did sign McNiven also years ago. And Lindgren, as well.

But I don't think they're as aggressive on it. I think they put themselves in a spot where they have enough to look internally.

Years ago, when the cupboards were empty, they were looking at undrafted FA's to fill up the AHL team. That isn't the case anymore.
You are probably right, but it is still a wrong approach. You can never stop trying to get better -if there is a player out there that is better than yours and you can get him for free, you go for it.

As much as everyone is getting besides themselves at how great our prospect pool is, the reality is while it is improved, it is still middle of the pack

i find it hard to believe they would rather keep guys like Verbeek or Pezetta than sign Steeves, but whatever.

Imho, it is wasted opportunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->