Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
tomorrow starts the new season, will keep an eye on CSKA's Okulov in case we are still interested in signing him after this season since he signed a 1 year deal again.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
tomorrow starts the new season, will keep an eye on CSKA's Okulov in case we are still interested in signing him after this season since he signed a 1 year deal again.

CSKA won 5-1 today. Okulov finished with 1 goal and 1 assist.

So far in 5 GP, he has 4 pts (2G, 2A)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nashville signs goalie Devin Cooley, a teammate of Stapley's an one of the group of undrafted NCAA goalies I wanted us to sign but we don't have the room of course. He was great last year but had some injuries this year. Opted not to return for his senior year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So now that the draft is over, any undrafted players you'd be interested in Habs signing?

It will probably be difficult this year since teams won't have a development camp or rookie camp where they can invite some players that will earn a contract (whether AHL or ELC).

But some names I wouldn't mind seeing Habs sign:

- Pavel Gogolev
- Carsen Richels
- Samuel Hlavaj (though I doubt they'd sign another goalie with Primeau, McNiven, Dichow, and Dobes in the system).
- Xavier Simoneau

I am less familiar with undrafted European players.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
last season I talked about Pitlick's teammate Cameron Berg as someone we should keep an eye on. He went undrafted again, he's got decent size and plays a bit of a power game. He didn't do well with Omaha last year and was traded with Pitlick to Muskegon and the 2 were put on the top line with Gushchin and they seemed to play real well. I didn't think Berg would get picked, but so far he's off to a hot start with 6 pts in 3 games, he's going to UNO next year which is in the very tough NCHC conference but not the strongest of programs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you watch the Wisconsin - Penn St game tonight keep an eye on former NHLer Jim Dowd's son. He played in the USHL last year with Farrell, but is Mete sized blueliner, not that I think he will amount to anything more then an AHLer but we'll see what a couple years in the NCAA does for him. His brother is eligible for the draft in June or whenever it ends up being. He's off to a good start with Farrell but is really small.

Reactions: Treb

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think the Habs may need to pay close attention to UDFA this year. We have several forwards and goalies who will graduate or be let go, so the AHL level might empty quite a bit with few reinforcements in 2021.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching Denver vs North Dakota, some players to keep an eye on for North Dakota in addition to Kawaguchi since he will likely be one of the more sought after NCAA FA's.

Ethan Frisch RD is off to a good start as the Sophmore turned 20 about a month a ago but in just 3 games has 2 less points then all of last year.

Riese Gaber is an undersized RW that just turned 21 but is only a Freshman. He's off to a good start though with 2 goals in 3 games.

Adam Scheel is another one of the many interesting NCAA FA goalies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How Matt Kiersted became UND's latest coveted undrafted NHL free agent and a top college hockey defenseman | Grand Forks Herald

posted this on the prospect board for NCAA FA's,

Western Michigan's Ethen Frank just scored his 5th in his 8th game, if he keeps this up there could be some NHL interest.

Penn States Alex Limoges is off to a good start as well.

There's Kopperud at ASU who is tied for the lead in goals in the NCAA. He's a 21 year old Freshman so no clue if he would want to turn pro in the off-season or not.

Of course Kawaguchi will once again have NHL interest, though I liked what i saw from Riese Gaber despite he's undersized.

on defense while Matt Kiersted could be one of the top blueliners, I like Denver's Justin Lee as a steady D.

Watching UNO vs UMD, Matt Miller a 21 year old Freshman for UNO is off to a good start, might be someone to keep an eye on.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
also i wonder if the Habs would have any interest in Primeau's older brother? He's off to a very good start this year but is a 23 year old Junior. Big kid that can play center or wing. Not the most skilled guy but better then say Poehling's brothers or Caufields.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could really see where the Habs are interested in Primeau, he's been on fire this year, leads his team in points and has as many assists as the next scorer has points. Has as many points as Caufield in the same number of games. He turned 23 in Sept but he's a big boy and plays it as I could see him having 4th line upside. Sign him and put him in Laval when his NCAA season is over.

Reactions: QuebecPride

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching the BU - Providence game, now that i've seen Providence play a few times, wonder if their goalie will be someone to keep an eye on. Jaxson Stauber who's dad is former NHLer Robb Stauber who played for the Kings back when we were a cup winning team. He's put up stellar numbers so far this season and appears to have won the starting job over Mollett-Hill who used to be the backup to former Hab draft pick Hayden Hawkey.

he's got the size but due to transferring from Minn St, he's a 21 year old Freshman.

Reactions: canucklover123

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was never all that impressed by him in the past but he really found another level in his junior year.

seeing how he's over a ppg and in 20 less games has only 3 less points then last year. plus with the Habs going the hulk smash route and him being Primeau's brother, I thought it made sense. He's listed at 6'3 185 but he looks closer to 200 to me when I saw him earlier this year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
seeing how he's over a ppg and in 20 less games has only 3 less points then last year. plus with the Habs going the hulk smash route and him being Primeau's brother, I thought it made sense. He's listed at 6'3 185 but he looks closer to 200 to me when I saw him earlier this year.
He skates like his old man too, he's pretty smooth for a big guy.

Reactions: montreal

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
watching the BU - Providence game, now that i've seen Providence play a few times, wonder if their goalie will be someone to keep an eye on. Jaxson Stauber who's dad is former NHLer Robb Stauber who played for the Kings back when we were a cup winning team. He's put up stellar numbers so far this season and appears to have won the starting job over Mollett-Hill who used to be the backup to former Hab draft pick Hayden Hawkey.

he's got the size but due to transferring from Minn St, he's a 21 year old Freshman.

Great stats so far! PC had Lackey and Hawkey before him and both had great college stats and somehow are both in the ECHL. Man it's tough out there for goalies

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad