Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro) II

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Habs could have likely beat out the Canes with a one way deal. Of course, it would have depended on their evaluation of how good the player is and how likely he was going to attain his ceiling.

Of course, if the player isn’t enticed by the money alone, then it is what is is. Next target.

All entry level deals must be 2-way, so that would not be possible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess there was no leverage to be had by other teams. Sounds like it’s a pure preference play.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I guess there was no leverage to be had by other teams. Sounds like it’s a pure preference play.

Unless they could have offered more AHL money, as we've seen with other contracts? Or, is it capped on ELCs?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Habs could have likely beat out the Canes with a one way deal. Of course, it would have depended on their evaluation of how good the player is and how likely he was going to attain his ceiling.

However, if the player isn’t enticed by the money alone, then it is what is is. Next target.
What I read was he was looking for his quickest path to the NHL. Don't think he saw it in Washington. Geography often plays into it too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Signing bonus is included in the 925k, so he got the max (832 500+92 500=925 000)

Just hate it how the Habs never seem to be able to take advantage of such situations. I realize there was a lot of competition for him but would be nice if they could sign one once in a while.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Unless they could have offered more AHL money, as we've seen with other contracts? Or, is it capped on ELCs?

There is a max you can offer on an ELC. So if multiple teams are offering him the max, it becomes a question of preference.

Various things can play a factor. Sometimes the city. Sometimes the money after taxes. Sometimes where they see themselves in the organization.

For example, as an RD, maybe he saw Habs' depth on the right side and saw that there may not be much room for him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's that time of year again, a new season has started and we'll see what undrafted or former prospects that are FA's will do this year.

In today's season opener in the KHL I kept an eye on Konstantin Okulov, who was rumored to have interest from the Habs but opted to stay in the KHL as they may have only been offering a AHL contract. I thought he looked good, he's 24 and is coming off a solid season and it looks like CSKA will be even better this year. He had a nice shot that gave the goalie fits but it caught the post. I'll keep an eye on him throughout the year while watching Romanov.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Okulov wasn't as noticeable today but he did have a sweet pass through an AK Bars defensemen that setup his teammate Maxim (played for the panthers last year) but he couldn't convert.

Grigorenko should get a lot of attention this year as long as he repeats last years production as his contract with CSKA is up and he'll be a NHL FA at the end of the season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another teammate to keep an eye on, have been impressed with Ylonen's teammate Severi Lahtinen, they were on the same line and he scored a nice goal today. He turns 21 in a couple months but he might have one more year of eligibility, I'd have to look it up as I know Euro's get longer but wouldn't expect him to unless he had an unreal season.

There is another teammate of his of sorts, Samuel Salonen, not sure he will make the team this year full time as he hasn't played for them in the CHL tournament and was in the junior league last year. He looked good in the recent U-20 tournament in Russia, was tied for the lead in points with Morozov (vegas).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's very very early in the season but Grigorenko is 2nd in the league in points, got to think if he keeps this up there will be a lot of talk about NHL teams being interested.

I plan on keeping an eye out for Daniil Vovchenko, he's in his age 23 season, was 2nd on his team in scoring last year with just 18 pts but looks to be breaking out this year at least so far with 8 pts in 9 games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've already brought him up a few posts back but have been really impressed with Okulov, he's off to a very good start. It makes me wonder if the Habs will still be interested in him as his contract is up after this season and wouldn't be a bad idea to bring him over with Romanov and if they opt to bring Khisamutdinov over as well.

Okulov with 8 pts in 10 games so far this season but has looked good on the 2nd line with Sekac.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's very very early in the season but Grigorenko is 2nd in the league in points, got to think if he keeps this up there will be a lot of talk about NHL teams being interested.

I plan on keeping an eye out for Daniil Vovchenko, he's in his age 23 season, was 2nd on his team in scoring last year with just 18 pts but looks to be breaking out this year at least so far with 8 pts in 9 games.

I would be more interested in Grigo that I was on Gusev

Reactions: Victorius

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching Olofsson's new team for the first time this year other then a little bit of the champions league. One player that stood out was Andreas Wingerli, he is undersized, just turned 22, he's off to a good start this year after a decent year in the SHL last season where he was 3rd on the team in goals and tied for 5th in points. He's got good speed and already scored a goal in the 1st. Might be someone to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Gains

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was watching the Gens play and noticed Brett Neumann, don't know him but thought he showed good speed and hands, might be worth keeping an eye on as a possible invite for the development camp. Maybe another Verbeek type that spends next year in the ECHL but gives us some depth although depending on how the roster shapes up and how many spots they may have to go the AHL contract route instead.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
haven't seen him but Damir Zhafyarov is off to a great start in the KHL. He's 25 and looks to be breaking out although it's very early. He's 3rd in the league in points with 14 in 16 games. 2 years ago he had 15 pts in 35 games, last year he was 4th on his team in points with 30 in 59 games. Looks like he's going to crush those totals so might be someone to keep an eye on.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Konstantin Okulov Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

According to Hockey Night Leafs and Habs are interested in this player.

Would think Habs could offer a better contract with the Leafs cap situation.

Friedman also mentioned the Habs being interested in this player back in April in one of his 31 thoughts articles.

24. Word is Montreal is high on Russian forward Konstantin Okulov, but his KHL contract extends one more season.

31 Thoughts: Breaking down major NHL Awards races - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->