Undrafted European Players (2011 Draft)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Pulkkinen, Oct 19, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Pulkkinen

Pulkkinen Elias Lindholm.

Sociology & Statistics.
    Home Page:
    I was thinking about some undrafted players last year from Europe and his chances to be at the 2012 NHL Draft. Jeremy Boyce was one of the best players who surprisingly went undrafted after the seven rounds. More players from Sweden despite all the players they put at the Draft, like Karl Johansson, a defense with amazing offensive skills, Viktor Arvidsson, a fast undersized winger, defenseman Victor Berglind, or Ponthus Westerholm, brother of Pathrik Westerholm, drafted by Vancouver at 6th Round.

A lot of players from Russia too, specially at the blueline. Zakhar Arzamastsev was always pretty good ranked, and he was expected around 3th/5th round, and he was 18th at the CSS Final Rankings, but he went undrafted. Nikita Zaytsev finished 43th, and others who went high at Midterm Rankings but failed to rise his stock at the Final Rankings, like Oleg Misyul, Ilya Nekolenko, Ildar Isangulov or Anton Saveliev. Another one is Albert Yarullin, who made 11 A at WJC U18, but he went also undrafted. Some names also from Finland, like Henri Auvinen, 31th at the Final Rankings, or Sami Salminen, who dropped from 47 to 132 but showed some good numbers.

Big man Pascal Zerressen from Germany raised some expectations but he didn't make it. Also, there was some talk involving Thomas Spelling as another good prospect out of Demnark for the 2011 Draft, but he dropped from 84 to 128 at the Final Rankings. Other interesting players from other countries like Michael Svihalek from Czech Republic or Joel Vermin from Switzerland.

Between the pipes, Jaroslav Pavelka finished 3rd at the Final Rankings after being unranked at the Midterm, but finally went undrafted. Stefan Steen from Sweden, after some irregular perfomances, dropped from 2nd to 9th at the Final Rankings.

Of course, there was a lot of players with options, unranked players, late bloomers, players at his third year of elegibility, players who came from nonwhere. Last year we saw players like Magnus Hellberg or Jyrki Jokipakka making a name for themselves. What are the players who can be drafted this year? There is other names unranked at the CSS Rankings with options? How are playing now?

And please, no Benjamin Conz. :laugh:

2. Metalownall

Metalownall Registered User

Joacim Eriksson is his last eligible year since he didn't get a contract with Philadelphia.. to bad for him it's a good goalie imo

3. thomast

thomast Registered User

Konstantin Komarek from Lulea SEL. He was better than most players drafted from europe. What an brainfart from 30 organizations not to draft him. I'm still amazed and suprised.

4. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Shocked nobody drafted him last year. Makes me wonder why some teams would do it in 2012.

5. luiginb

luiginb Registered User

Height 5.06 -- Weight 157

If these are accurate, here's your answer.

6. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Two overage imports in the WHL i've seen this year and liked are Patrick Bartosak and Jonas Knutsen.

Bartosak is a big goalie for Red Deer. Moves well, stands over 6'1. Named CHL goalie of the week this year. He should get some interest late in the draft.

Knutsen is a gritty forward for the PA Raiders. Gets under your skin, good skater, ok offensive skills. Similar to a Jarkko Ruutu type of guy, might garner a pick late.

7. Roscoe

Roscoe Registered User

Eliteprospects says 6'0 187 lbs

8. cheerupmurray

cheerupmurray Registered User

Theres no obvious name from Sweden so far, some passed over players have played got but no name that stands out (as I have seen).

One player I love to watch is Leksand huge (6'04'') defenseman Alen Bibic, that is a mean s.o.b. and that also can play hockey. He would probably be a dime a dozen player in Canada, but in swedish hockey he stands out by being nasty and using his size well. He is good on the PK and clears well in front his own goal, he is actually in second spot of the +/- ranking in Allsvenskan. Don't think he stand a chance of being drafted, if I was forced to keep it real, but just like him as a player.

9. MaxV

MaxV Registered User

Electrical Engineer
    I was surprised that Arzamastsev and Yarullin weren't drafted.

Both are talented blue-liners.

10. thomast

thomast Registered User

He's bigger... He outplayed mika zibanejad in couple games i watched SEL playoffs. Most players drafted from Finland and sweden played junior hockey. Komarek was an SEL regular. Impressed me on wjc at 2009-2010. This guy plays with good energy good at using body with nice puck skills aswell. He was Much ahead Finnish prospects named Alexander ruuttu and Markus granlund. i think most swedes agrees with me.

11. UkraineTrain

UkraineTrain Registered User

Same here, especially the first one.:dunno:

12. OiledUp

OiledUp Registered User

Viktor Svedberg is getting a decent amount of ice time in Frölunda this season. Huge guy, 6'8 234 pounds, with ok skating who's finally starting to grow into his body. He'd certainly be a project but worth throwing a 7th rounder on. Could turn into a great shut down man. Born in -91.

13. Pulkkinen

Sociology & Statistics.
    Home Page:
    It's curious, because only six players were drafted from the Russian leagues, two of them were overagers, Marchenko and Sobchenko, and Yaroslav Kosov went to the 5th Round despite being unranked by CSS. And behind, a lot of talented kids, specially blueliners, and other talented offensive players like Barbashev or Shmelev. Do you think there's still some kind of KHL-Factor around those players? It seems like NHL teams don't want to risk picks on them or they only pick them after a good international perfomance, like Sobchenko or Kucherov.

14. Czechexpert

Czechexpert Registered User

I saw Arzamantsev in August playing for Russian U-20 in Czech and he looked as anything but NHL prospect. Very unimpressive and disappointing. Also heard that he basically made zero progress in last two seasons.

15. Buddhaa

Buddhaa Registered User

lawyer
    Latvian D-man Nikita Kolesnikovs. Has good size (6'04; 216), is a fairly decent two-way d-man. Plays in the Q for Blainville-Boisbriand (previously played for Shawingan, was involved in the trade that sent Kabanov to Shaw); has 1+9 in 13 games. Born: 1992-10-30.

16. Acallabeth

Acallabeth Days of glory

I agree, Arzamastsev has shown little progress since the beginning of his KHL career. OTOH, he is still very young, and not everyone is developped fully at 19.

17. Pulkkinen

Sociology & Statistics.
    Home Page:
    Another interesting game to the list could be Markus Hännikäinen, from Finland. He played last day his first game with Jokerit against HIFK along with Alexander Ruuttu (51th for Phoenix Coyotes) and Teuvo Teravainen (2012 Elegible) at the fourth line. He made 4+5 in 8 Games with Jokerit U20 and he's now playing at SM-Liiga. He was ranked 104th at the CSS Final Rankings.

18. czech

czech Registered User

g Matěj Machovský (Brampton), g Patrik Bartošák (Red Deer), d Marek Hrbas (Kamloops), g Jaroslav Pavelka (Niagara), d Tomáš Pavelka (Prince Edward), f Tomáš Hyka (Gatineau).

19. Muuri

Muuri Registered User

Maybe Victor Öhman?

20. cheerupmurray

cheerupmurray Registered User

Nah, allthough he plays well in Superelit right now, he has been passed over twice. NHL-teams don't like players that once had very high expectations and then failed to deliver.