Understanding the Flyers cap situation as it relates to Gostisbehere (long)

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
If you're going to make Homer your GM, I think you have to run every signing of his through a capologist before it's finalized... he offers some ridiculously bad deals, and a very good 4 year run doesn't mean he's a capable GM. In my opinion, Homer is the perfect head scout or director of scouting.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
The way I see it is that Homer had a very good grasp on building a good competitive Team from Season to Season... but couldn't or wouldn't tie that into the 'New' Cap and 'New' NHL... Sans a Cap Homer could probably have continued to entice and/or obtain the right players to compete each year. With a Cap that he could not grasp... or refused to hassle with on a down the road basis... he just hit a point where the toll paid the Piper was too costly to maintain a competitive Team... Plus with the Cap hassling all the other GMs, he could no longer deal the Players he no longer wanted/needed to restock. Homer was a Pre-Cap GM lost in a Cap Era NHL... With that I find it hard to dislike Homer... and/or hate what he did as GM... but easy to dislike the position the Flyers find themselves in.

That said, Homer did Draft well... with the Picks he did not move... and started the rebuild that Hexy has continued... He was a good bridge between Clarke, who didn't have the stomach to play the 'Business' game that no longer could side with the Players... and Hextall who is definitely more adept to play hard and cool within the highly restricted NHL Business Organizations... that has a matrix of Player Evaluation/Development, Cost Budget Analysts and hard nosed Businessmen.

So yeah... let's move on without being too hard on Homer.. and Clark who had much success in their Times.

JMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
If you're going to make Homer your GM, I think you have to run every signing of his through a capologist before it's finalized... he offers some ridiculously bad deals, and a very good 4 year run doesn't mean he's a capable GM. In my opinion, Homer is the perfect head scout or director of scouting.

Basically... But we have to keep in mind that Homer came in still in the infancy of the Cap... and I don't believe many in the NHL, or anybody else really had a clue on how farreaching and restrictive the new Cap would be -- in addition to all the other CBA changes in each new CBA -- and those who had a clue could not be sure... even though they did know the mindsets must change... to what extent.

Homer was also stepping in after an icon... and at that time, he was actually a harder nose GM and was a step in the proper direction.

I suppose we could say that moving away from Homer should have been sooner... or his powers should have been restricted more to force him to adjust more and quicker to the Cap World... Hindsight is great but we must put ourselves into the time period in our judging... Not to suggest that you or anybody here is judging.

EDIT: BTW... I love your grasp on the Cap and your though process.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
With the demotions of Cousins and McDonald, I believe the Flyers are about $300k in cap space from having enough cap space to keep Gostisbehere up. I'll double-check my math later on.

Hopefully this means the end of the Brandon Manning experiment.

EDIT: $469k away.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
With the demotions of Cousins and McDonald, I believe the Flyers are about $300k in cap space from having enough cap space to keep Gostisbehere up. I'll double-check my math later on.

Hopefully this means the end of the Brandon Manning experiment.

Not so sure I understand this... Cap Management being so intricate and at most times difficult as it is... With Streit coming off LTIR and his Cap allowance no longer needed to use to replace him, how will Manning's waiving to the AHL allow Ghost to stay when Ghost's Cap Hit is $300K more than Manning's? ... Not arguing that it won't, merely not personally following how it does.

To be clear... I'd also love for this to be the case... on all fronts of the issue.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they waive Manning and Umberger or Gagner, they could call up Colin McDonald ($625,000 cap hit, same as Manning) to be the 13th forward.

MDZ-Gudas
Medvedev-Streit
Schultz-Ghost or Ghost-LSchenn

And thus delay having to trade LSchenn till closer to the deadline.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
Not so sure I understand this... Cap Management being so intricate and at most times difficult as it is... With Streit coming off LTIR and his Cap allowance no longer needed to use to replace him, how will Manning's waiving to the AHL allow Ghost to stay when Ghost's Cap Hit is $300K more than Manning's? ... Not arguing that it won't, merely not personally following how it does.

To be clear... I'd also love for this to be the case... on all fronts of the issue.

One of my numbers was wrong. $469k away, not $300k.

You gotta remember, they banked a bit of space at the beginning of the season and that space gives them a bit of flex. If they're over the cap by $469k (annualized) they should have room to demote Manning and keep Gost up. I'll have to run the numbers later, I'm working at the moment and things are kinda piling up.

Basically they're at negative $469k right now, waiving Manning at $625k = $156k in space after Streit comes off LTIR. It works from that perspective, I just have to check and make sure my math is right and the roster I have is correct.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
One of my numbers was wrong. $469k away, not $300k.

You gotta remember, they banked a bit of space at the beginning of the season and that space gives them a bit of flex. If they're over the cap by $469k (annualized) they should have room to demote Manning and keep Gost up. I'll have to run the numbers later, I'm working at the moment and things are kinda piling up.

Basically they're at negative $469k right now, waiving Manning at $625k = $156k in space after Streit comes off LTIR. It works from that perspective, I just have to check and make sure my math is right and the roster I have is correct.

Thanks... It's really a shame when it gets down to the point where every little Cap Dollar making such a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad