Underrated Video Games

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Probably the only other game besides Deus Ex where after I beat it, I immediately started over and played a different way.

Word. Same with me, and it was a total blast the second time around too. Not like most games that say you have a choice but story goes exact same route anyway. This one had multiple missions and levels that weren't on your original play through.

Reactions: Jovavic

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Word. Same with me, and it was a total blast the second time around too. Not like most games that say you have a choice but story goes exact same route anyway. This one had multiple missions and levels that weren't on your original play through.

Sie is bae! :)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Monster Truck Madness 64 (1999, N64)
This game's multiplayer was so much fun. Developed by Rockstar, it was the original Rocket League, where you could play soccer and hockey with these monster trucks. There was also a very fun king of the hill, WWE style game mode.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This game's multiplayer was so much fun. Developed by Rockstar, it was the original Rocket League, where you could play soccer and hockey with these monster trucks. There was also a very fun king of the hill, WWE style game mode.

Yeah that game was pretty alright. The king of the hill mode I played quite a bit in MP.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I'll go with Fur Fighters on the DC.

Quirky, fun, controlled well - should have had mouse and kb support though - imaginative locals, graphics were pretty good, had an amazing soundtrack, script was genuinely funny, and it was fun to play.

One of those the whole is greater types.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Impossible Creatures (2003, PC)
Developed by Relic and Microsoft, this RTS game allowed you to create hybrid animals by mixing different species. I mean, just look at this crap

507962-insect_002.jpg

latest

220px-Impossible_Creatures_cover.jpg

Reactions: Pay Carl

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Impossible Creatures (2003, PC)
Developed by Relic and Microsoft, this RTS game allowed you to create hybrid animals by mixing different species. I mean, just look at this crap

507962-insect_002.jpg

latest

220px-Impossible_Creatures_cover.jpg

I vaguely remember this game. Seems like a predecessor to “Spore”.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I vaguely remember this game. Seems like a predecessor to “Spore”.

I got the demo in a PC Gamer magazine. Never got a chance to play the full game, but the demo was a lot of fun from what I can remember. But yeah, similar idea to Spore but more focused on the RTS elements.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I think I played it on your (or someone's...I think it was you) recommendation a couple years back while looking for a game coming off of the Mass Effect trilogy high, and absolutely loved it.

My only real issue with it was how clunky the gun play felt until you got a few talent points into your chosen weapon. It was a bit hard to get used to at first, but once you got going - what a game.

It seriously needs a sequel.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Been replaing the Odin Sphere remake on PS4 and it's soo good. Only minor quibble is how easy it is, even on hard (mostly because of how easy/fast it is to level up), but the way the story reveals itself in layers (you play through as 5 different characters, one at a time) is top notch, and I love the art style.

And unlike a lot of RPG's, it's a managaable length. I beat everything on normal in about 43 hours and am looking at about 55 on hard (grinding time)

Reactions: aleshemsky83

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Been replaing the Odin Sphere remake on PS4 and it's soo good. Only minor quibble is how easy it is, even on hard (mostly because of how easy/fast it is to level up), but the way the story reveals itself in layers (you play through as 5 different characters, one at a time) is top notch, and I love the art style.

And unlike a lot of RPG's, it's a managaable length. I beat everything on normal in about 43 hours and am looking at about 55 on hard (grinding time)

Original PS2 release was definitely a harder game, but that was mostly just because the controls/combat weren't as good.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Original PS2 release was definitely a harder game, but that was mostly just because the controls/combat weren't as good.

For sure, and also because of the slowdown in certain locales (looking at you, Land of the Dead). The PS2 couldn't handle the game at points.

I do agree that it's easier levellimg in the remake as well, since you don't have to worry about levelling your character/weapon seperately. Using phozons for anything but weapon building is foolish once the resturant opens up for each character. You get plenty of the fruits from monster drops.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Ugh... Gothic 3 sucked. Don't try to be Morrowind.

It's just so disappointing after how awesome Gothic 1 and 2 (especially the NotR expansion) were.
Came here to drop Gothic 2: NotR.

Such a shame that the franchise never really caught on in the English speaking world.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Battlesport - PS1

You play in a coliseum against one opponent in a fight to the death style soccer match. The goal is to get the ball into the goal and outscore the opposing team. What makes it fun is that each vehicle was armed with lasers, rockets, etc. You won money each match which would allow you to purchase better vehicles or add some extra weapons to your vehicle before hand.

295378-batlsprt_004.jpg

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Played this with my friend when I got it on ps plus for ps3, Its awesome. Wish it were even more story heavy but apparently its an arcade game so its even kind of story heavy for that genre.

Sadly this IP hasn't gained much traction so I doubt well see any sequels.

As for underrated, man Ive actually been trying to figure out what that multiplayer racing game me and my brothers played to death when we were kids was. It turns out it was the multiplayer mode for Rush 2048, which explains why I could never put my finger on it. It looks super different from the main game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
At first glance, Windjammers looks like a dumb campy easy-to-dismiss game that's just asking to be made fun of/played ironically or something, but as you play it, it quickly reveals itself to be one of the simplest, purest, and strongest one-on-one competitive gaming experiences you can have, and the pressure/split-second-reaction-demands of the matches will have you making instinctively squirmy/squeal-y noises you never thought could come out of you.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Liero (1999, PC)
This game is basically Worms if it was real-time and not turn based. Lots of fun weapons to use and you could play splitscreen multiplayer on the PC.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
At first glance, Windjammers looks like a dumb campy easy-to-dismiss game that's just asking to be made fun of/played ironically or something, but as you play it, it quickly reveals itself to be one of the simplest, purest, and strongest one-on-one competitive gaming experiences you can have, and the pressure/split-second-reaction-demands of the matches will have you making instinctively squirmy/squeal-y noises you never thought could come out of you.

This looks awesome

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ it is. Play it!

Not obscure, but Tetris Attack is really underrated as well-- the mechanics are simple and perfect. For my money, it's easily the best block-dropping/rising puzzle game aside from maybe regular Tetris, IMO. This would be a great game to give the Tetris 99 treatment to, as attacking/defending feels a lot more natural.

It's more of a classic than most of the games on the SNES deemed classics, in my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
^ it is. Play it!

Not obscure, but Tetris Attack is really underrated as well-- the mechanics are simple and perfect. For my money, it's easily the best block-dropping/rising puzzle game aside from maybe regular Tetris, IMO. This would be a great game to give the Tetris 99 treatment to, as attacking/defending feels a lot more natural.

It's more of a classic than most of the games on the SNES deemed classics, in my eyes.

my old college roommate and I would get stoned and play this game constantly. It was so simple but so much fun. I remember one time I pulled off a chain of like ten evaporations in a row and insta-killed him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
my old college roommate and I would get stoned and play this game constantly. It was so simple but so much fun. I remember one time I pulled off a chain of like ten evaporations in a row and insta-killed him.
Yeah, if you're quick on your feet and your brain is thinking in chains rather than combos, you can get into this really satisfying instinctive groove where huge screen-filling stacks can frequently be dropped on the other player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad