Underrated Video Games

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Doesn't matter what era they are from. Just list and describe games you think are/were underrated and under appreciated.

Return Fire (1995 - PC) - a pretty straight forward capture the flag game made by 3DO. Two teams have bases with turrets, a barracks, etc. and infantry that would attack you. Each life you choose between 4 vehicles: a chopper, a jeep, a tank, or a missile carrier thing. The goal is to damage the other player's base enough to get to the middle to grab their flag and return it to your base. The game had a lot of destructible environments and was very enjoyable.

returnfire1.jpg

return-fire_2.png

Chromehounds (2006, Xbox 360) - This is an interesting one. The gameplay and action comes off as very dry, slow paced, and to many - boring. The most enjoyable part to me was the freedom of the game. You could literally build your mech from scratch from a huge variety of different parts, taking into account weight, speed, power supply, weapons, etc. The game was very intricate and involved a lot of planning. Mechs had different classes, such as snipers, speedy scouts, tanks, etc. The hit detection was also top notch; if your battery or engine got hit, you were essentially screwed as your mech would slow down to a halt. This created interesting strategies, such as people placing their engines/batteries in obscure spots on mechs so people would not know where to target them.

Every season you would join one of 3 nations competing in a war, which would usually take about a month or so. These nations would compete for land, where you would fight at different geographical locations to help win over that area. You could also join clans, participate in a lottery for rare parts for your mech, etc. The game was just so unique and enjoyable, I have not had the opportunity to play something like it since the servers shut down. The single player was garbage, but the multiplayer was incredibly innovative for its time.

chromehounds-xbox-360-5.jpg

Chrome_04.jpg

002238s035.jpg

Fury 3 (1995, PC) - I remember getting the trial for this game with Windows 95. It was a pretty straight-forward - fly around your jet and blow shit up. Still was a lot of fun.

Reactions: OmniCube

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yes on Return Fire, I remember digging that game.

My pic for underrated game is Bionic Commando 2009 on PS3/Xbox360. It had great swinging mechanics and was difficult enough that beating it felt very satisfying.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I feel like The Evil Within got underrated. I know some people had game-breaking glitches/bugs, which obviously I get the hate for, but for me I thought it was a great game and the closest thing to Resident Evil 4 that you're going to get.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It has a bit of a cult following but if you're not looking in old school gaming or hidden gem boards, you'll never find anyone talking about it. The game came out as a complete broken mess and still is but an unofficial patch fixed it up nicely. Most people have heard of the original Deus Ex, which I still think is the best RPG of all time, but Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines comes really close and it's a shame nobody ever talks about it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Defiance (the 2013 version)

inFamous Second Son

Beyond Two Souls

Definitely more that I just can't think of right now

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
C&C: Renegade is a great game though mostly in multiplayer. It wasn't outright panned when it was released but never generated more than a "pretty good" buzz.

I find there aren't really that many outright underrated games, most of them are more unknown than underrated.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I love the deceptively simple but conceptually clever, challenging, rich, and rewarding mechanics of Umihara Kawase for the SNES. It's completely off the radar for most people, but it's a brilliantly conceived modest but classic/one-of-a-kind game with a lot of charm and that just feels right, IMO.

I'd love to see a modern comeback that is kept in 2D

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The first Infamous, its a great game because it introduced a lot of new mechanics or popularized them.

Advanced wars 1 and 2

That dodge ball game on advance... cant remember the name. Shit it was amazing.

Edit: aptly named Super dodgeball advance.

Marvel Nemesis

Xmen Legends 1 and 2

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
MechAssault was a good one for the original Xbox. Geometry Wars 2 for the 360, and now on the One is dope. Countless hours on that game.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
inFamous Second Son

The first Infamous, its a great game because it introduced a lot of new mechanics or popularized them.

Advanced wars 1 and 2

Xmen Legends 1 and 2

I might be nitpicking, but I wouldn't call these underrated. Infamous had a big budget from a big studio, I recall seeing commercials for it during hockey games and whatnot.

I think Advanced Wars and X-Men Legends were fairly popular back in the day, I could be wrong. Both fantastic series though, wish they'd bring those games/genres back.

Here's another good blast from the past:

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold (1993, PC) - If you enjoyed Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, you'll appreciate this game. It actually ran off the Wolfenstein 3D engine. It was a fun, kind of bizarre FPS where you tool up aliens the whole game.

blake_007.png

blake_002.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I might be nitpicking, but I wouldn't call these underrated. Infamous had a big budget from a big studio, I recall seeing commercials for it during hockey games and whatnot.

I think Advanced Wars and X-Men Legends were fairly popular back in the day, I could be wrong. Both fantastic series though, wish they'd bring those games/genres back.

Here's another good blast from the past:

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold (1993, PC) - If you enjoyed Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, you'll appreciate this game. It actually ran off the Wolfenstein 3D engine. It was a fun, kind of bizarre FPS where you tool up aliens the whole game.

blake_007.png

blake_002.png

Underrated as in the gamer community not giving it much credit, IMO.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
When I first saw Sunset Overdrive I hated everything about it. The look, the skate culture, and the gameplay loop just looked bad. I gave it a chance for a very bad reason (the soundtrack) and ended having a good time. It's not perfect and it will never be on the best of lists, but it was a fun game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
MV5BY2MxMmRhYjktYzMxMi00ZGExLTk3MTAtYjE1OGUyMmQ0Zjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

Sentimentality plays a major role in this, as for me Grandia is on the same level as Final Fantasy VII & Chrono Trigger, but the first two Grandia games are gems in their genre and still have my favorite battle system in a JRPG. Game Arts was my favorite developer for a while, thanks to Grandia & Lunar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad