Underrated Fleecings...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm looking for trades that were incredibly one-sided (or turned out that way) that history has largely overlooked. This means I am not looking for the Cam Neely deal, the Phil Esposito deal, the Markus Naslund deal, etc etc.

My contribution would be the Penguins trading Sergei Zubov to the Stars for Kevin Hatcher. Talk about a bad deal from the Penguins POV. (Apparently Zubov was let go because Lemieux did not like his playing style. I.E. Zubov likes handling the puck and so does Mario...Mario wins).

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm looking for trades that were incredibly one-sided (or turned out that way) that history has largely overlooked. This means I am not looking for the Cam Neely deal, the Phil Esposito deal, the Markus Naslund deal, etc etc.

My contribution would be the Penguins trading Sergei Zubov to the Stars for Kevin Hatcher. Talk about a bad deal from the Penguins POV. (Apparently Zubov was let go because Lemieux did not like his playing style. I.E. Zubov likes handling the puck and so does Mario...Mario wins).
Yep. That was a bad one. IMO Zubov is one of the best passing D-Men I've ever seen. Never mind getting rid of Zubie but to get back Hatcher drove me up the wall.

Just to work one in the Pens favor, I'll go with Joe Mullen for a 2nd round pick in 1990.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I could think of three for the Rangers.

1. The Pavel Bure deal in 2002. Bure for essentially a first round pick, being that Ivan Koltsov and Filip Novak still haven't seen NHL action

2. The Alexei Kovalev deal in 2003. Kovalev, LaCouture, Wilson and someone else for Fata, Lintner, Bouchard, and McKenna. Wow talk about about bad, even for a salary dump.

3. Jagr and half of his salary eaten by Washington for Anson Carter, straight up. My all time favorite. It's COMPLETELY backfired for Washington, not only are they still paying him over 4 million a year, but he just had one of the best seasons of his career for the Rangers, and Carter was then traded at the deadline for Jared Aulin, who still has not lived up to any potential he ever had.

I'll give three bad ones as well where the Rangers got fleeced...

1. The 96 Deadline Disaster. Ferraro, Lafayette, Norstrom, and Steve Larouche for McSorley, Kurri, and Churla. Killed any momentum we had as a team, and killed us in the playoffs. All 4 of those players we got were USELESS for us. Ferraro went on to have some good seasons elsewhere, and Norstrom became one of the league's best stay at home defenders. We got KILLED in this trade in hindsight.

2. Zubov and Nedved for Robitaille and Samuelsson. How do you trade a point per game defenseman who lead your team in scoring the season before for a guy who was just seperated from Gretzky, and wasn't scoring a whole lot anymore, and a defensive defenseman? Nevermind Nedved, I could have dealt without him, Messier was right about him the first time around, too soft, didn't work hard enough. Thank god the Pens then fleeced themselves and he ended up in Dallas.

3. Middleton for Hodge. The worst Ranger trade ever. Why? Because Middleton was still blooming, and had a world of potential, and Hodge, I thought, was an overrated player who got his points from playing with a great Boston offense that consisted of Esposito, Bucyk, Sanderson, Cashman, and Orr. Hodge had one ok season with the Rangers and did squat after that. Middleton went on to score over 400 goals and almost 1000 points. Not only that, but Middleton was 21, and Hodge was 32, we lost 11 years in that trade.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
from a Canes fans pov.

To Florida: Sandis Ozolinsh, Byron Ritchie

To Carolina: Bret Hedican, Kevyn Adams, Tomas Malec

Hedican and Adams have provided the Canes with steady play and leadership the past few years, and Malec was traded along with a 3rd round pick for Martin Gerber, who had the most wins in a single season for a Canes goalie last year.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In what was basically a three-team trade in January 1971, the Flyers got Rick MacLeish (who played about 11 seasons in Philadelphia and was arguably their best PO forward in the two Cup wins), Toronto got Bernie Parent (who played 65 games there before going to the WHA and eventually back to the Flyers) and Boston got Shaky Walton (who played there until the WHA started in 1972-73).

There were other components to the trade (TO got a 2nd round pick that landed them Rick Kehoe, who gained fame with Pittsburgh) and the Flyers got Bruce Gamble, Pierre Plante (with a 1st round pick) and Danny Schock. The trade from the Leafs and Flyers perspective can be further analyzed with future deals like Plante eventually going to St. Louis in the Moose Dupont trade and Kehoe going to Pittsburgh for Blaine Stoughton, (and a pick) who eventually went to the WHA and then the Whalers in the expansion draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers trading Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis for 4 1st round draft picks.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It's a bit early yet to call this one, but the Owen Nolan trade that sent him to the Leafs has the makings of an all-time bad deal.

To Toronto:

Owen Nolan

To San Jose:

Brad Boyes
Alyn McCauley
Toronto 1st in 2003

Three plus years later, the deal just keeps getting worse for Toronto. Nolan was lousy for them in the playoffs (2 assists in seven games), mediocre in the following season and then cost ownership millions of dollars in salary during the lockout due to the silly contract the Sharks had signed him to that guaranteed him a paycheck in the event of a labor stoppage. After the lockout, the team had to deal with the headache of Nolan's well-publicized injury woes and the resulting legal tiff, which effectively ended his stint in Toronto.

On the other side, Brad Boyes had a breakout season last year and looks like a good #2 center who may develop into a #1 in time. McCauley had a couple of decent years in San Jose, nothing special, and has since moved on to Los Angeles. The 1st rounder was used in a package by the Sharks to move up and select Steve Bernier in the draft. The original Toronto pick (#21 overall) was used to select Mark Stuart. The book hasn't been written on Bernier and Stuart yet (not sure which we should evaluate in looking at the deal), but both have looked good so far in their first taste of NHL ice. If one or both develop into stars, Leafs fans will look back on the Nolan deal as a backbreaker.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
To Ottawa:
Christer Olsson

To St. Louis:
Pavol Demitra

Olsson went on to finish the 1996-97 season with Ottawa and then hasn't played another NHL game since. Meanwhile a rookie Demitra began a career that would see him score 20+ goals and average ~1 point per game in each season. And still counting...

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
March 13th, 2001.

The Toronto Maple Leafs not only fleeced the L.A. Kings by scooping up their prized youngster on defense, but also got rid of two cancers in the Leaf organization, Adam Mair and a 2nd round pick.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
March 13th, 2001.

The Toronto Maple Leafs not only fleeced the L.A. Kings by scooping up their prized youngster on defense, but also got rid of two cancers in the Leaf organization, Adam Mair and a 2nd round pick.
I NEVER knew a 2nd round pick can be a locker room cancer :sarcasm:. How does a 2nd round pick even look? :dunno:

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
To Ottawa:
Christer Olsson

To St. Louis:
Pavol Demitra

Olsson went on to finish the 1996-97 season with Ottawa and then hasn't played another NHL game since. Meanwhile a rookie Demitra began a career that would see him score 20+ goals and average ~1 point per game in each season. And still counting...

Was going to post this trade. Just brutal, esp. considering how well Demitra would have fit on the Sens.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Larry Murphy was given to Detroit from the Leafs at the 1997 trade deadline. Murphy goes on to win 2 more Stanley Cups. Thank you Toronto.

Big fleecing where Detroit gets destroyed. Mckegney and Federko for Oates and Maclean. Oates goes on to become an all-star playing until 2004 or so. Mckegney and Federko retire like a year later.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I NEVER knew a 2nd round pick can be a locker room cancer :sarcasm:. How does a 2nd round pick even look? :dunno:

back_pain_tumor_treatment.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'll toss this one out there. In '97 the San Jose Sharks traded Viktor Kozlov to the Florida Panthers for a first round pick. The Panthers finished near the bottom and ended up "winning" the lottery. The Sharks made a side deal with Tampa and ended up with the #2 pick and Bryan Marchment. They then traded down another spot with Nashville to get the #3 and #29 picks which were Brad Stuart and Jonathan Cheechoo.

So net result: Kozlov => Cheechoo, Stuart, Marchment
Net loss to Florida: Lecavalier => Kozlov

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont.

Gilmour really helped Buffalo overcome the peca lockout and Dumont had a good run with Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad