Speculation: Underrated 2020 UFAs

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Is there a pending UFA, that is not being talked about much, that you think could be a great value signing for next season?

Examples:

- A younger UFA that never got the right opportunity?

- An older veteran who might take a pay-cut for one last kick at the can?

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Granlund is a bargain candidate

28y, could hit 60+ points with good defense

Agreed. Especially for a contender. They could sign him to a relatively cheap 1-2 year contract for him to improve his standing in the league so he could sign a bigger deal afterwards. It would benefit both sides.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Carson Soucy.

Group 6 UFA. Weird situation because he didn't get enough NHL games this year to retain his RFA status, and he was surprisingly good. Big, strong, pretty good skater and showed some surprisingly good hands. Played very well next to Brodin on the second pairing for a stretch in the middle of the year.

Kind of hoping he just gets overlooked because he's Minnesota's best option in the top-4 if they end up moving Brodin or Dumba, but he'd be a tempting guy to throw a contract at if I was another team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With all the discussions of goalies on goalie market (Via trade or FA) it feels like Corey Crawford is getting underrated as guy who could be of value to contender

Crawford career has been underrated to begin with but people seem to not have watched much Hawks because he is still a good goalie playing on bad team

16-20-3 with 2.77 GAA and .917 Sv Pct (+ 1 Shutout) and as shown in playoffs he can steal a few games

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
With all the discussions of goalies on goalie market (Via trade or FA) it feels like Corey Crawford is getting underrated as guy who could be of value to contender

Crawford career has been underrated to begin with but people seem to not have watched much Hawks because he is still a good goalie playing on bad team

16-20-3 with 2.77 GAA and .917 Sv Pct (+ 1 Shutout) and as shown in playoffs he can steal a few games
Injury prone

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Carson Soucy.

Group 6 UFA. Weird situation because he didn't get enough NHL games this year to retain his RFA status, and he was surprisingly good. Big, strong, pretty good skater and showed some surprisingly good hands. Played very well next to Brodin on the second pairing for a stretch in the middle of the year.

Kind of hoping he just gets overlooked because he's Minnesota's best option in the top-4 if they end up moving Brodin or Dumba, but he'd be a tempting guy to throw a contract at if I was another team.
Soucy going to get a very nice offer from someone.

Wild are in trouble with him and last year of Brodin contract

Reactions: qqaz

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Josh Leivo - when he was on the ice he was a good player. Someone is going to get a solid 3rd line winger for a 4th line price. Leivo didn't look out of place beside Horvat on Van's 2nd line earlier in the year. If we can move Roussel and/or Virtanen, I'd be interested in trying to bring him back depending on health.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Carson Soucy.

I genuinely had no idea he was going to be a UFA. That's a blow to the Wild imo.

Lots of names that jump out at me, especially with a flat cap and rumbling a lot of teams will have an internal cap. Couple of these guys are gonna get one year cheap contracts I think:

Haula
Janmark
Nieto
Fast
Girgensson
Johan Larsson
Richardson
Pitlick

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I was going to say Granlund but with the lack of Centers that will be UFA's I think there is a bit of a bidding war for him.
Now can he still be a Center in the NHL?
Soucy is going to be a steal for someone. Looks like a late bloomer in the mold of Mayfield on the Islanders.
Someone is going to pick up Johan Larsson for a really cheap deal and be quite happy they did.
After that its all a gamble.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Erik Gustafsson from Calgary. I don't think he will be in the first group of defensemen to get paid, but will likely be good value.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->