Underdogs winning away on the same day ...

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
April 18th 2023 (besides being my 48th birthday) was a remarkable day in the NHL playoffs, when four or more games happened on the same day.
  • All four away teams won, 16th time that happening. Previous time: May 20th, 2021
  • They also won in regulation, 13th time that happening. Previous time: August 8th 2020 (Corona) or April 19th, 2017
  • They also won being underdogs, 7th time that happening. Previous time: April 22nd, 2016
  • It was only the 5th time when it was away, underdogs, regulation. Previous time: April 13th, 2012
  • It was only the 3rd time when it was all first games of the series. Previous time: April 10th, 2003
Damn it, was there a first time of any kind?
It was the first time all (at least four) underdogs won away in regulation in the first game of the series by the margin of 2 goals or more!

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would assume the underdogs won quite a bit in the 2006 playoffs. When the Oilers went to the Stanley Cup Finals against Carolina, all four underdogs pulled off the first round upset. In fact, out of the seven playoff series in the Western Conference that year, the underdogs only lost one series (#6 Anaheim vs #7 Colorado).

Reactions: Primary Assist

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I would assume the underdogs won quite a bit in the 2006 playoffs. When the Oilers went to the Stanley Cup Finals against Carolina, all four underdogs pulled off the first round upset. In fact, out of the seven playoff series in the Western Conference that year, the underdogs only lost one series (#6 Anaheim vs #7 Colorado).
That is reflected in the sweep away in regulation on April 14th, 2007

P.S. love the avatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad