OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The only good thing about the area I live in is it is the potato chip kingdom.
Yum, which ones are made there? Utz? Charles Chips?

Where I grew up, we had 4 pencil factories. I worked at one for 3 summers and loved every minute of it, but it was so filthy--graphite plus dirty factory is a bad combination! It was better than the makeup pencil place, though. My next door neighbor would be the color of the day--whatever they were mixing in the lab, that would be his skin color til he could shower--ice blue, ice green, eyeliner, various lipsticks.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Yum, which ones are made there? Utz? Charles Chips?

Where I grew up, we had 4 pencil factories. I worked at one for 3 summers and loved every minute of it, but it was so filthy--graphite plus dirty factory is a bad combination! It was better than the makeup pencil place, though. My next door neighbor would be the color of the day--whatever they were mixing in the lab, that would be his skin color til he could shower--ice blue, ice green, eyeliner, various lipsticks.
New chip is Middlesworth. Utz is the big one.

Reactions: Adz

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm a very anal person, Viqsi can confirm, so I have gone 2 months without MS office. I was having the shakes. Now, I am ready to speadsheet!

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
If you are into podcasts, Off Ice with Ida and Julie (Preds WAGs) is really fun to listen too. And Deb Pacey, who covered the Devils for years, has one in which she interviews NHL executives.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
My stepson and a friend are going to see As I Lay Dying at the Exit In tomorrow night. Any suggestions on where to park, nearby places to eat, or any other "make sure they do/dont..." advice would be greatly appreciated

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
My stepson and a friend are going to see As I Lay Dying at the Exit In tomorrow night. Any suggestions on where to park, nearby places to eat, or any other "make sure they do/dont..." advice would be greatly appreciated
if they are able to, get there around 5 PM. they should be able to park behind the venue. easiest option they have. if that's not possible, they can park at saint thomas midtown. there are food options around but no real bars. if they are above 21 and want to have a drink, i would recommend demonbreun or mid town (pick a bar), and then assuming the drinks would lead to a good time or talk.. park at the hospital. just make sure it is the visitors parking. very easily in walking distance. if not drinkers, then get there early if they can and pick one of the good spots to eat around. dont have much of a recommendation for food around that immediate area.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
if they are able to, get there around 5 PM. they should be able to park behind the venue. easiest option they have. if that's not possible, they can park at saint thomas midtown. there are food options around but no real bars. if they are above 21 and want to have a drink, i would recommend demonbreun or mid town (pick a bar), and then assuming the drinks would lead to a good time or talk.. park at the hospital. just make sure it is the visitors parking. very easily in walking distance. if not drinkers, then get there early if they can and pick one of the good spots to eat around. dont have much of a recommendation for food around that immediate area.

Thanks so much! They plan to get there early. They are 18 not 21 so just interested in some pre concert food.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks so much! They plan to get there early. They are 18 not 21 so just interested in some pre concert food.
in that case, there are plenty of good food options around. i cant recommend any of the closest ones but getting there early and walking around and seeing what draws them will definitely lead to the best time they can have. exit in is an awesome venue too. it has been for a while. it's always a good time/night seeing a show there.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Obie's Pizza is nearby--I went there when I was still hanging around Elliston Place (which is where Exit/In is). They could also go around the corner to Cafe Coco, which both my kids loved.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Maybe be it's because I'm turning 40 in June, but remember when controversy meant controversy? Back when controversy meant the Soviets moving missiles to Cuba, the Iranians taking hostages, ETC

Now, controversy is a song taken off the country charts because the genre which has mixed in the musical pool of red like a drop of blue can't be defined.

Yes, I'm referring to THAT song and it's a cover of a guy's song who didn't fit the country genre himself.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Frankly I'm so tired of the petty everything that is going on. If you don't like a certain music then stop listening to it, trust me they will change it lol.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah I hear ya. Controversy today is rich people paying to get their kids into good schools. Frankly I was surprised it took such a weird scheme to make that happen. I thought they just walked in, donated a ship load full of money, and the kid was admitted. One kid gets in that likely doesn't deserve it on merit but now the school has money to make the experience better for everyone.

Now everyone loses.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya. Controversy today is rich people paying to get their kids into good schools. Frankly I was surprised it took such a weird scheme to make that happen. I thought they just walked in, donated a ship load full of money, and the kid was admitted. One kid gets in that likely doesn't deserve it on merit but now the school has money to make the experience better for everyone.

Now everyone loses.

I think the difference is that the donation to the school was probably in the millions and this scheme was in the tens to hundreds of thousands. They were trying to get a bargain.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I think the difference is that the donation to the school was probably in the millions and this scheme was in the tens to hundreds of thousands. They were trying to get a bargain.

At least that's the line, right? Buy me a building and you get tuition. Toss me $250k and we'll have to sneak you onto the water polo team as 3rd backup goalie.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
At least that's the line, right? Buy me a building and you get tuition. Toss me $250k and we'll have to sneak you onto the water polo team as 3rd backup goalie.
I don't think even buying a building gets you free tuition. That would appear too much like buy a building get kid into college. You buy the building, your kid gets in and you get to pay the tuition.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Just realized I had originally put "10-15 YEARS ago" in my original post on Notre-Dame. Corrected to minutes.

Glad we had a chance to visit within the last few years. I've had a chance to see other cathedrals in Europe that are amazing but this one was certainly iconic in its own right.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Everything about this is sad. I love the gothic style of buildings and I've always marveled at the history, artworks, and architecture from medieval times. And then being Catholic and thinking about relics and things that have been lost, it's even more heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->