OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My favorite teams are:
NHL: Preds (no franchise titles). As a kid, I was a Bruins fan (1970, 1972)
MLB: Reds (1975, 1976, 1990), second team: Brewers (no franchise titles) Originally, they were in the AL. In 1996, it was the same division.
NFL: Packers (1996, 2010). The Bengals came close in 1982 and 1989.
NBA: I was a Celtics fan as a kid (1968, 1969, 1974, 1976). I just missed out on their string of 8 in a row 1959-1966. I don't watch now.
NPSL: Milwaukee Wave (1998, 2000, 2001) MISL: (2005, 2011, 2012) They would have won more, but I was bad luck in the playoffs.
NCAA: I went to Cincinnati. They were #5 during my HS senior year and it was all downhill from there! My homeboys from Dayton lost in the Finals in 1967 to some guy named Alcindor and won the NIT in 1968. Back then, both tourneys only took 16 teams. I remember UD beating Notre Dame and then Kansas in the finals (Jo Jo White was their star player). They won again in 2010, but it doesn't mean near as much as in 1968.
IHL: Dayton Gems (1969, 1970, 1976)
AHL: Milwaukee Admirals (2004) I wasn't here for the 1976 USHL championship.
NCAA: Badgers men's (1981, 1983, 1990, 2006 (in Milwaukee!)) Badgers women's (2006, 2007, 2009, 2011)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
No doubt. That HQ would have been footprint changing and not sure the city could handle any rapid expansion of that size.
While I was gone I quickly found out that a lot of people in and around Seattle blame the Amazon HQ (and Microsoft) for their spike in housing costs that aren't going away. We're a smaller metro area than they are but I agree that there was probably no good way for us to handle that growth. A blessing in disguise I'm sure. We would've faced some serious issues if we landed one of the big "prizes".

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Tennessee gave Amazon $102,000,000 in incentives yet is part of a lawsuit trying to get out of covering pre existing health conditions. 32% of Tennesseans have pre existing health conditions.

Last edited:

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Nashville Yards will be their future home. That's where the old Lifeway campus used to be between Broadway and Church. The 5000 new jobs they're bringing are probably just the beginning.

Ernst & Young announced today that they're bringing 600 new jobs to Nashville also.

Alliance Bernstein is moving into the office tower currently being constructed across the street from Bridgestone Arena:

"On May 2, 2018 AllianceBernstein has announced they plan to relocate its headquarters, chief executive and most of its New York staff to Nashville, Tenn., in an attempt to cut costs, according to people familiar with the matter. That largely ends a 51-year presence in the nation’s traditional finance capital."

Rumors of Morgan Stanley coming to town as well. Who knows?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Nashville Yards will be their future home. That's where the old Lifeway campus used to be between Broadway and Church. The 5000 new jobs they're bringing are probably just the beginning.

Ernst & Young announced today that they're bringing 600 new jobs to Nashville also.

Alliance Bernstein is moving into the office tower currently being constructed across the street from Bridgestone Arena:

"On May 2, 2018 AllianceBernstein has announced they plan to relocate its headquarters, chief executive and most of its New York staff to Nashville, Tenn., in an attempt to cut costs, according to people familiar with the matter. That largely ends a 51-year presence in the nation’s traditional finance capital."

Rumors of Morgan Stanley coming to town as well. Who knows?

The Southeast has been killing it the last couple months. Nashville is on a roll. Atlanta has just announced new HQs for Salesforce (600 jobs) Inspire Brands (Arby’s and B Dubs, 1,100 jobs), a new hub for BlackRock (1,000 jobs), Thyssen Krupp (1,000 jobs) and the new HQ for Norfolk Southern ( the 16th Fortune 500 HQ here), Pandora and Starbucks hubs. All within the last couple months.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Preds just rang that cash register along with anyone else who might benefit from these high paying jobs. Will be interesting to see just how crazy pricing gets in the next few years.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Your high today was (almost) our low this morning. It's that time of year.

It is a bit chilly right now at 57F, but we are supposed to get up to 74 this afternoon.

Something I learned over the incredibly long, hot summer: the hottest time of the day here isn't at noon; it's around 4-5 PM, when the sun has been in the sky for six-seven hours and is still a couple hours away from setting.

That and monsoons here are nothing to mess with. First major one was preceded by dust, then torrential rain for a good 15 minutes straight. Everything dries up pretty quick, but it's still amazing to see that much water all at once.

Still - wouldn't change it for anything. I can suffer through a hot summer and incredibly outrageous electric bills to have a winter where I won't see white stuff and the only ice I'll see is either in my glass or over at the rink in Glendale.

On that note: I may be in the same state as an NHL team now (and even in the same county), and I may be closer than I've ever been to a real live NHL arena (only 41 miles), but it might as well be in Timbuktu. I-10 is completely messed up due to the construction of the 202 extension, and there's this other thing in the way between me and Glendale: the fifth largest city in the United States.

Anyways. I think I'm gonna go back to lurking for a while.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Your high today was (almost) our low this morning. It's that time of year.

It is a bit chilly right now at 57F, but we are supposed to get up to 74 this afternoon.

Something I learned over the incredibly long, hot summer: the hottest time of the day here isn't at noon; it's around 4-5 PM, when the sun has been in the sky for six-seven hours and is still a couple hours away from setting.

That and monsoons here are nothing to mess with. First major one was preceded by dust, then torrential rain for a good 15 minutes straight. Everything dries up pretty quick, but it's still amazing to see that much water all at once.

Still - wouldn't change it for anything. I can suffer through a hot summer and incredibly outrageous electric bills to have a winter where I won't see white stuff and the only ice I'll see is either in my glass or over at the rink in Glendale.

On that note: I may be in the same state as an NHL team now (and even in the same county), and I may be closer than I've ever been to a real live NHL arena (only 41 miles), but it might as well be in Timbuktu. I-10 is completely messed up due to the construction of the 202 extension, and there's this other thing in the way between me and Glendale: the fifth largest city in the United State.
I know a guy that I see typically at least once a week who travels to Nashville for work but he lives in Mesa. I almost moved to Phoenix for a job covering sports for a now-defunct newspaper before the economy, and more importantly, that industry went down the drain about 10 years ago. I sometimes wonder what would've happened if I had done that. But yeah the guy I know out there talks about how there's basically no reason for him to go that far out of his way for a Yotes game.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So, today is my family Thanksgiving. Of course last night would be the night that the oven element decided to burn out. If you've never seen it, it's pretty spectacular in both show and inconvenience. It's like a big sparkler in your oven.

For future reference it is possible to "bake" biscuits on Lo Broil. You have to cover them and you have to turn them midway. They're not pretty but they work for my purpose which was to make dressing for the turkey. Glad I'd already made the cornbread. I will have to heat it up at my mother in law's, since you can't really turn a casserole dish over mid way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad