OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I would think there are many rinks adequate for practice in that part of Canada, hotel space too. But given the initial example their charter would be a short trip St Paul to Nashville. So I had not thought out the question well. The second example (Edmonton to LA) would be more indicative of coming home or staying an extra day or so being a longer flight home.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I would think there are many rinks adequate for practice in that part of Canada, hotel space too. But given the initial example their charter would be a short trip St Paul to Nashville. So I had not thought out the question well. The second example (Edmonton to LA) would be more indicative of coming home or staying an extra day or so being a longer flight home.

I'd imagine if it's 2-3 games on the west coast the team would just stay out and that would become the dad's trip or something. We have two instances of a 2 day or more break between road games on the same trip ; Jan 10 at Columbus then Jan 13 at Carolina ; Mar 25 at Minnesota then Mar 29 at Pittsburgh. I'd assume the team would come home following the first game in both scenarios.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
How do they work out customs for chartered flights? Is it just skipped?

They go thru customs, but don't have to fill out anything because it's a charter.
When I went it was a special line for team and team personnel, but then the customs lady didn't like the 4 of us being in that line, so made us go to another line.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
In general the team has to arrive the day before a game, I believe it's in the cba.

In general it's all about money and the cba whether they stay out of town versus coming home. So I assume the bean counters judge the cost of the charter versus cost on the road. Players, etc also get a meal per diem as well as the hotel..
I would think the coach might have an input.... trots favored getting out of town at night to the next city, whereas laviolette seems to favor staying in town after an out of town game (if time permits) , having a practice the next day, and they flying on in afternoon.

Was fortunate to fly on a long road trip with the team before it was "popular". So over 10 years ago. Was fascinating. Couldn't do it now, it's way too expensive at auctions.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I would assume all of that is worked out before they leave.
I would assume so too but every year, especially near the deadline, we see issues with a player from a Canadian team getting traded to an American one (and maybe vise versa) regarding customs or something along those lines. But maybe that's related to a work visa since you're literally going to work in another country.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yeah..visas are ridiculously long and drawn out processes. The speed with which the NHL gets those processed is impressive. Took me 9 months to get my wife's visa. And during that time she was not allowed to travel to visit the US.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
There is a special visa designation for athletes and actors, can't remember if it was the same one, but they're pushed through pretty quickly.

Reactions: myFialabot

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Does anyone remember when the bathroom lines at games started forming outside of the bathrooms? Those lines downstairs are getting ridiculous and severely impede traffic flow during intermission. In the men's restrooms, people used to form lines at each urinal which basically meant a) better efficiency and b) less crowding outside.

What the heck happened to change this? And how do we change it back?

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Does anyone remember when the bathroom lines at games started forming outside of the bathrooms? Those lines downstairs are getting ridiculous and severely impede traffic flow during intermission. In the men's restrooms, people used to form lines at each urinal which basically meant a) better efficiency and b) less crowding outside.

What the heck happened to change this? And how do we change it back?
It's the same thing upstairs.

I think that started during the 2017 playoffs. That's the first time I noticed and commented on how long the men's lines were. I remember the women's lines being a normal length, but we could get in and out and men were still in line.

I can't comment on where the lines form, but I will say my Dad and some other male friends have made the same comment about how the lines are forming. No one could figure out how this started.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It's the same thing upstairs.

I think that started during the 2017 playoffs. That's the first time I noticed and commented on how long the men's lines were. I remember the women's lines being a normal length, but we could get in and out and men were still in line.

I can't comment on where the lines form, but I will say my Dad and some other male friends have made the same comment about how the lines are forming. No one could figure out how this started.
I remember reading about this a couple years ago, but the Oilers caught some flak for replacing some women's restrooms with more men's restrooms. Now, people can view that on the surface however they want, but the theory was that they were noticing the massive lines at the men's rooms compared to ladies. Then they took into account how much higher of a percentage men are of their ticket buying demographic. Whether or not that was a fair move, I don't know. Depends on who you ask, but apparently that was actually such a problem inside another NHL arena that the team actually spent money to address it. Or try to.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
2 years ago, I was wearing size 18(W!!!) pants. Not always, but on my fatter days those fit. In July of 2017 my doctor told me I was prediabetic and needed to make some changes. I did. I've changed my diet, exercised, taken my meds faithfully. I am no longer prediabetic (though I'm still close to it--doc said if I stayed exactly where I am I will never get diabetes, though he'd like to see my numbers improve a little more). I'm not skinny and probably never will be--the sister and mother got all those genes, I got the--we'll call it voluptuous genes--but after a lot of work, I am able to wear size 10 pants. :)

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I'm not a doctor, but I'm assuming 16 hours of sleep in five work days is bad for me right?
I can count on one hand the number of times I have slept more than 6 hours in the last year. I think it varies from person to person. My girlfriend can't operate on less than 9.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I can't sleep much more than about 6 hours or so, feels like such a waste of time. My wife can sleep 16 hours and still want to sleep more.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Honestly though averaging 3 hours of sleep a night is probably bad especially if you don't have children .

This loss tonight will keep me up too.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I have a hard time shutting off the light, but once it's off I don't usually have much trouble getting to sleep. The only time I have any real issues is if I have had caffeine after 4 PM. Up til I was 40ish I could have drunk coffee at midnight and been fast asleep by one (if I turned off the light). I have a LOT more trouble getting up early. It makes me queasy. But I'll have to experience it next week since I have jury duty and have to be downtown and in the building by 8:30. I can do it, ask PF98--I've gone on red eye flights with her at 4AM! But I don't LIKE to.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Several years ago I worked with a guy who got 4 hours or less of sleep a night. He was the most alert and well-rested than anyone I worked with at that place. Trump is also famous for this. Science actually calls these people short sleepers. 1-2% of the population can get by on a short amount of sleep and be fine.

I used to get 5-6 hours at most for the longest time when I was in my 20s. I was definitely sleep deprived during that time though. These days I have to get plenty of sleep. I acquired a chronic illness a few years ago and if I don't sleep upwards of eight hours I become crazy symptomatic.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Back when Mr. Adz was a transplant coordinator he would sometimes have to be up/on the road/in the OR for 2 to 3 days--without sleep except for a possible nap on the way there or back. It was tough work--dealing with doctors and others who didn't necessarily want them there, families in grief, and the actual work of harvesting the organs. They had a lot of attrition. Mr. A lasted a little longer than most but it really wore him down. So then he became an animator and works all night on deadlines. Sometimes I have to wonder if maybe extreme fatigue is what keeps him alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad